Got my new Fenix 2LP

cary1952

Newly Enlightened
I received my new light today ordered from the Fenix Store with the free 1LP tube. My first impression of this light is very favorable. It is my first light over $40.00 as I am a Newbie.

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! :wave:

The L2P/L1P combo is nice and will serve you well. The L2P is what I EDC at work. I added a rubber grip sleeve (from an old Garrity AA) so I can grasp the light better.

zulu45

Enlightened
You made a great choice. Ever since I bought that light, I can't think of getting any other light, although based on when FLR reviews it, maybe the P1. I'll definately get that, if I decide to buy it, from 4sevens.

FX67

Newly Enlightened
I've got the same package and did some comparison with Surefire E2L , Inova X5 (newest type) and CMG Infinity Ultra

1. Brighter than X5 and surprisingly wider spill, very usable outdoors.
Great center beam, perfectly aligned LED.
2. Similar spill to IU but much more light overall

Now for what could be improved:

Grip, surefire has it done right, so something similar would be great.
Flexible washer for head contact vs. fixed ring, which will allow for better connection.

Overall great light, I made my own lanyard connector and it is just perfect with Sanyo 2700 ma/h batteries.

I got mine from 4sevens and service is GREAT, Thanks so much.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
This is my first post on CPF; I've been posting to FF for a bit now and have purchased pretty much each of the Fenix lights.

Of the Fenix lights that I own (L1P, L1T, L2P, P1, Civictor), I would say that I like the L2P the most (great runtime, output is also very good for a light that runs on 2AA's. Cary1952, I think you made a good choice:twothumbs, in fact, I'm giving one to my dad for father's day this weekend.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
*edit* Please disregard below. I decided to not be lazy and use the search button. :ohgeez:

Cary1952, do you have a link to the deal that you found? I checked Fenix's site and they look wholesale only.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

dirobesh

Enlightened
Now stick one of Goldserve's excellent FluPICS in it, get hold of a T**H or U**J star, and a CR123 battery tube and you have a multi-level torch, better (and a lot cheaper!), than a FFIII (IMHO - I bought one off Ebay with the idea of replacing my modified L2P with it, but didn't like it and sold it on - no flaming please :) ).

InfidelCastro

Banned
TORCH_BOY said:
Welcome to CPF

You would love the L2T

No doubt! It will light up a treeline at night. I use my L2T all the time at work with Energizer 2500's. I rarely use the dim mode anymore either, preferring to take along an extra set of batteries instead. I never go to work without the L2T when I work the night shift. And alot of times I have it with me during the day as well, because it can be useful.

I have a Surefire E2O with an MN03 bulb as backup, but the L2T is my workhorse. I really wish Surefire would come out with some E-series incans that would run off a couple of NIMH's. I know it's doable.

By the way, I can't wait for a 5W version of the Fenix L2T to come out! L2T5 anyone? A momentary clicky would also be nice. I hope they do it soon.

pilou

Enlightened
I also recently got an L2P with an extra L1p body. I only had a chance to test it for a few seconds, but that was enough for me to be thoroughly impressed with it. The beam has a nice bright spot, but at the same time, it has a nice, reasonably powerful and wide spillbeam. That kind of beam pattern is great for an all-purpose versatile light. It gives you at the same time both the spot and flood mods of say mag, but of course with a much nicer beam pattern.

The light color is also very nice, with no distracting color hues. I haven't had a chance to try out the L1P body yet.

I don't think the body finish quality is of the same caliber as for the Inova's, but it is still excellent!

My only other semi-decent lights are the X5T and AA & D- mags, and this light outshines them all!

InfidelCastro

Banned
pilou said:
I also recently got an L2P with an extra L1p body. I only had a chance to test it for a few seconds, but that was enough for me to be thoroughly impressed with it. The beam has a nice bright spot, but at the same time, it has a nice, reasonably powerful and wide spillbeam. That kind of beam pattern is great for an all-purpose versatile light. It gives you at the same time both the spot and flood mods of say mag, but of course with a much nicer beam pattern.

The light color is also very nice, with no distracting color hues. I haven't had a chance to try out the L1P body yet.

I don't think the body finish quality is of the same caliber as for the Inova's, but it is still excellent!

My only other semi-decent lights are the X5T and AA & D- mags, and this light outshines them all!

I'm also impressed with the hotspot and spillbeam of my L2T. Seems like most lights are either good for one or another, but the L2T attempts to be a jack of all trades and I think pulls it off rather well. It's a very useful beam.

Mine does have a bit of a purpleish tint, but not enough to really be annoying. You can tell it's there though.

The finish is pretty good, but definately in the cheaper realm of HAIII finishes. It does seem strong, but also quite thin. I have two specs of finish missing around the high point of the bezel near the lense. I noticed this after the second day of use, but haven't noticed any other wear since. The light also comes with a nice AR coated scratch resistant glass lense, though I try to keep anything that can possibly scratch it away from my flashlight lenses.

The finish imperfection is barely noticeable, but it gives you an idea that the HAIII finish on the Fenix lights are not exactly bomb proof, because I'm generally very careful with my lights, even the ones I use often.

Last edited:

pilou

Enlightened
I also have a couple of very tiny imperfections in the finish. The they are barely visible though.

My light also does have a discernible purplish/bluish tint, but you have to look very carefully to notice it, unlike with my Inova X5T. My X5T light is very obviously blue/purple, to the point of being immediately noticeable, distracting, and not as efficient as a white light in revealing detail. I don't know how representative my samples are though.

The Fenix is not an ultimate light, but it ranks very high in my book in all departments. It has an above average finish and look, and it seems fairly durable. It has a great beam pattern and good brightness from simple alkaline AA batteries. The whiteness of the light seems a lot better than average for LEDs. Finally, if the sample reviewed on flashlightreviews.com is representative of the L2P, the circuit regulation with AA alkalines is simply outstanding. In that specific respect, the L2P beats the the L2T hands down. The L2T regulation circuit seems able to perform as well only with rechargeables. It doesn't do that well with regular alkalines, at least according to the flashlightreview.com review. So the L2P is a great package and a good value in my book. I initially thought that all the great reviews could perhaps be just be hype or the consequence of heard mentality :), but I am very happy with my purchase. Or perhaps I too just joined the heard :lolsign:

dirobesh

Enlightened
Mine was quite green as well - it's worth replacing it with a decent luxeon - the torch is worth it IMHO.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
install the "head mod" and You get THE actual led-light.
WAY better than the L2T (as the dim is really dim then)

InfidelCastro

Banned
I actually like the dim mode the way it is. I wouldn't want it to be any dimmer. It's uber-efficient, yet puts out about as much light as a 0.5W LED.

mchlwise

Enlightened
pilou said:
I also recently got an L2P with an extra L1p body....

I'm another happy customer of this deal.

I got the L2P with the L1P body to have the option of running a larger (longer) light for longer, but also for the brightness and effeciency/runtime benefits of running the L2P head on the L1P body. I much prefer the form-factor of the L1P.

My L2P was a little on the greenish side also, though it doesn't seem as bad as some others have posted. You can tell it's on the greenish side of white, and I was a little disappointed with that, but it's not a huge deal. My L1Ps are definitely on the bluish/purplish side, about as much as the L2P is on the greenish side.

One thing I noticed, when running the L2P head on the L1P body, in addition to being slightly brighter than the stock L1P, the hotspot is slightly bigger, more perfectly rounded, and the reflector seems more precise.

I'm VERY happy with it. :goodjob: