P1 foam ring, did your new one help?

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Fenix P1 owners that were having trouble with various battery brands, and then got the new ring, did the new one solve your problem?

I got the new one and the only difference I can see is the diameter, and I wonder if that will be less effective in reducing rattling. The original ring in my P1 has broken in quite a bit and I can actually get the Surefire cells to work if I crank it down until the knurled ring around the head is touching the body.

Any feedback from anyone else?

I also will add, the P1 has the smallest lanyard hole(s) of any flashlight I have, or have seen.

I'm still thrilled with mine, though I was disappointed that it wasn't enough to scare the deer out of my yard two nights ago. Maybe they were just stunned by the incredible brightness.:grin2:

AA89GTA

Newly Enlightened
I just got three of them and gave two away as gifts. I don't know if mine came with new foam rings or the originals, but I checked all three lights with a batterystation 123A and they all seemed to work fine. The gap between the body and the head is about 1/32 (bit less than 1mm) of an inch when the light is on. Don't know what it's supposed to be but it seems to work well. I can barely twist the bezel all the way with one hand. Maybe I'll try to relube it, and just keep working it to get it broke in. Again, I don't know if the lights are shipping with the new foam rings yet or not. (How does one tell?) My lights shipped out June 12 for reference.

--Aaron

Last edited:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
With the Duracells I have there is a gap roughly 2mm wide between body and head. To make the Surefire brand work, the gap is less than 1mm. The Surefire cells wouldn't work at all when I first got my P1.

I only got my light a few days before you, so yous probably has the original type ring. The ring that came in mine runs around the outside edge of the bottom of thel light. The new one looks like it would be tighter up against the negative contact.

I guess I just wanted somebody else to be the guinea pig. :huh2::lolsign:

Reaper

Enlightened
Yes, at least on mine. With the original foam ring, I had to crank it down hard for the light to come on and stay on without flickering. Not so anymore with the new softer ring. For a while, I even ran it without any ring at all. I'm still impressed with the light that comes out of this small package as was the TSA guy who had me turn it on.

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
I just received my p1 and there is no foam ring. I have only tried a lighthound rechargeable so far. It works fine with only slight movement that is only noticed while actually shaking the light. I am very happy so far with this light. I will clean the threads tonight as there is a slight "grittyness" when you first attach the head but once cranked down disappears.

Last edited: