Any Practical Difference Between McR-20 & IMS-20?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on a Tri-Lux build.... and I already have 3 IMS-20 reflectors... However, how much of a difference is the IMS vs. McR ?

I think I've heard that the McR is 'better' but in what ways? Is one or the other going to give off more throw/spot or flood/spill?

Thanks!

AuroraLite

Enlightened
jar3ds,

From my minimag modding experience, I do notice there is quite a difference between the two since the difference is noticeable enough to pick up by eyes.

Originally, I am more inclined to have a 'definite' hotspot in terms of the smooth transition like McR...but then after doing some measurement and comparison, turns out the hotspot of McR does get brighter than IMS, and the corona is brighter as well. And for my own Aleph 3 Lux IIIx3 mod, I'd use 3 McR16 for it and can't be any happier with the result. :thumbsup:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks.... thats not what I wanted to hear! :D Guess thats another $42 bucks to the Shoppe

cy

Flashaholic
note: if you are looking for hotspot performance. be sure and match up reflector focus to die height of luxeon.

ealier luxeons have a slightly different die height. most reflectors available are designed for early or non joker luxeons.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the tip cy... i got some normal UWOJ luxeons and i'm getting the non-joker models.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello jar3ds:)

Somewhere in a Thread I have seen comparison shots between the both reflectors. I can't remember where, but they exists.

In my Tricarus I have the McR20 and they are great with incredible throw.
I'm sure you will be happy with them.

Best regards

____
Tom

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Long John...

Before I made this thread I did the best search I could from the limited search function we have and couldn't come up with any good info comparing these two reflectors... but thank you... i'll keep my eyes out!

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds,

The info I got from Modamag on this subject is that the MCR is more of a throw reflector and the IMS while it does throw, has better flood. So I guess it depends on what your needs are.

MM

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
humm... thanks mm... now i'm royally confused... :) i do very much value flood/spill... sigh :D

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple really.

If you want the "best" beam for your light get McR. There is simply no better reflector for Luxeon based light. It the combination of perfect focal point matching (increase throw) and beam smoothing (thru orange peel coating).

If you want a low cost solution while only sacrificing some performance then IMS 20mm.

Only flashaholic will be able to tell the difference, so if you're gonna give this as a present for someone. I recommend IMS-20. Save the $30 for the next toy.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
All known McR reflectors are aluminum.
The IMS 20 is smooth, and has the expected artifacts. The McR20 has a medium orange peel finish. The reflective medium in the McR reflectors is brighter, and more reflective than the medium used by IMS on their plastic reflectors. It will be more efficient. I believe the McR20 to be superior to the IMS20 in every way.

Bernie

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the McR20 to be superior to the IMS20 in every way.

For three to four times the price it had better be!

I'm gonna try one out in my recently aquired Longbow soon.

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I know they're a drop-in fit in the Amilite Neo T3 (one in mine), and I've heard that they're a drop-in for the Nuwai QIII also.

Point being that if you have a McR20 laying around, there are many applications for it. It's the most versitile reflector I know.

Bernie

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think it unlikely that the subtle difference between the two reflectors would have a major effect in a multilux light. I'd think that collimating the 3 will be a much more signifigant issue than the difference in flectors. Although I tend to go for the McR series in whatever I edc at the time, the IMS is a much better value.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
well... since i already got the IMS reflectors... I think i'll get the McR reflectors too.... Then I'll see which I like better then sell the ones I don't like as well for a discount to fellow CPF members...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello jar3ds:)

This is a good decision imo. At last the perfection of a light comes due to all the little goodies.

Best regards

_____
Tom

FirstDsent

Enlightened
xochi said:
I'd think it unlikely that the subtle difference between the two reflectors would have a major effect in a multilux light. I'd think that collimating the 3 will be a much more signifigant issue than the difference in flectors. Although I tend to go for the McR series in whatever I edc at the time, the IMS is a much better value.
To the contrary, the subtle difference will be multiplied by 3. If you only get a 7% improvement over the IMS20, you may not really notice it with one emtitter, but the cumulative improvement is 21% with three emitters, 28% with 4 -not subtle! Small improvements make big improvements when you multiply your gains.

Bernie