How does Orb 2 stage work?

moses

Enlightened
A bit curious. I don't see any moving parts in the Orb for a mechanical 2 stage switch. This it is direct drive and not microprocessor controlled, I'm a bit curious as to how the two stage works.

Would love to know.

Thanks!
Mo

Macaw

Enlightened
To me, it seems that the metal finger, when pressed against the aluminum reflector, will create an electrical path that will bypass the resistored pathway and allow for direct drive. The insulation on the finger, which protrudes slightly past the conductor, will keep the conductor isolated from the reflector until force is added to overcome the slight gap. At least I believe that's how it works on my RAW NS.

Last edited:

moses

Enlightened
I've not looked at the innards of the Orb but sounds like that it is a mechanical switch after all. Perhaps requiring very little movement then.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks!
Mo

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
The CR2 based Raw is very easy to disassemble. Why don't you open yours up and take a look?

My Raw works just like Macaw describes his NS.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an isolated pin that stick out of the circuit board. This is connected to a resistor and the LED. When you tighten the case the pin hits the top of the case bottom half and turns on low, If you tighten further the pin retracts into a sheath and the case hits the bottom of the circuit board turning on high.

The pin has a spring behind it and retracts into a closed end tube soldered to the other side of the board. It's very neat and only a few mm long.