Direct TV vs Dish Network

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking about going from cable to satellite TV and I've been looking thru various info about the 2 choices here. Anyone have any advice or opinions on the pros and cons of the two. It seems Dish Network has these 2 room receivers so it looks like that saves money vs DTV where I'd need 4 of them (4 rooms with TV in the house). Anyway, it looks like a lot of reading to get up to speed so I thought I'd see if anyone could enlighten me here. Thanks

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I've been a DirecTV subscriber for years, but not for any particular technical reason, mainly based on available channels for the cheapest package.

The 2 services use different satellites, so trees or other obstacles may determine from the beginning which one you go with. The equipment for the most part is comparable, but not compatible. I know DirectTV has a separate satellite for the High-Def networks, so that requires a larger dish with 2 LNB heads to get the HD and normal channels. Costs extra to have HD service also. Local channels cost extra, and subject to availability in your area. I still just use a roof-mounted directional antenna for the locals and save the money.

I suspect you have been looking at the Dish Network and DirecTV web sites. Examine the programming packages closely to see what channels you get for each, and if the other service might get you your favorite channels for a lower-cost package. That's the most basic feature anyways, the hardware is simply the method to get the programming on a screen.

Other aspects of satellite service that surprises people used to cable:

1. The Weather channel won't display the local radar or local forecast during cut-in periods. That is a service of the local cable company. That alone made my brother cancel his satellite service during a trial period. (He also didn't understand the local channel service, which wasn't available at the time).

2. Heavy rain and snow will interrupt the signal. You will lose service during every thunderstorm. A tree swaying in the wind can also cause outtages if it's tall enough to be in the line-of-sight between the dish and satellite. Considering how many cable outtages I dealt with years ago during weather, it has not been an issue to me, but some people have better cable service than I did.

3. No direct tuning with a cable-ready TV or VCR. Since digital cable service began, more people are used to this now.

4. No local commercials. The satellite provider inserts a ton of their own commercials in the "local" spots. The get redundant. It's really weird to channel hop to the exact same commercial on 3 or more different networks within a few minutes of each other.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
GM/Hughes/DirectTV screwed me. To get the $100 rebate on the system from RatShack, I was required to prepay a year. Half way through that prepaid year, they demanded additional funds for the continued inclusion of :thinking: 5 movie channels. They were class-actioned and chose to settle. I got a check for ~$20. This was many years ago, but I can carry a grudge! (GM's woes are my warm and fuzzy!) When my 1-year contract expired, I gave them the finger(!) and switched to an ATT mountain top wideband microwave service and a couple years later to DISH, and my next/current pickup truck is a Dodge! I have the minimum package and pay annualy, which saves a few bucks. I haven't had a problem with DISH! (Rant mode off.)

Larry

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're interested in a TiVO or DVR type machine then there are things to consider also. I have a 2nd generation Direct TV with TiVO and it's a really nice receiver/DVR. unfortunately DTV has been developing their own version of the DVR and are ending their contract with TiVO. I've installed a new one of their own branded solution and it sucks beyond all recognition. If they ever stop supporting the TiVO one I've got, or if I ever switch to HD requiring me to buy into their solution then I'll be switching to cable just so that i can continue to use a TiVO branded DVR.

I have no idea what the state of these things are with the other company, but DirectTV's DVR's are always several generations behind on features than the TiVO units are.

My reaction to the horridness of their interface to the DVR functions that I actually wrote an angry letter to them :) I also assaulted their poor demo guy at an electronics convention I was at who was demoing their new box. He didn't take my criticism well ;) what he told me was "I'M tired of hearing from all you TiVO users! You just need to get used to the new one!" I laughed, so evidently I'm not alone in thinking that it's a poor shadow of the older units in usability.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had Time Warner cable in Ohio but chose dish network when I relocated to the Tn Plateau. I scheduled the dish installation so I could watch the Daytona 500, the picture was excellent right up to when the snowstorm effectively shut down the dishes reception. I never got to see any of the race past the command of gentle,,,,,,,,wtf.
Other than issues with "severe" weather conditions I am satisfied with dish.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sister has Direct, I have Dish. Direct has better on screen menu. Dish has both Outdoor Channel and Outdoor Life Network, while Direct has only OLN (which for some reasons runs lots of nontypical outdoor stuff - rodeo, etc).

Don't know about the newer stuff, but I can run several TV's in different rooms off one box. They, of course, all show the same channel, but can be controlled from different rooms by the same RF remote (i.e. the box is in room #1, tuned to Oprah. I can take the remote into room #2 and change channels, volume, etc with the remote).

Weather related outages are real, but less that downtime I had with cable long ago. Other than that, sure beats cable and I get local weather real-time at NWS online.