I lost my arc 4 and need a recommendation please

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
After 2 plus years of perfect use I lost my arc 4 (Not plus) in a skirmish at work last night. I only used it on high power. Now I need a light close to the same size with a pocket clip like the arc. Please let me know any suggestions!
Thanks so much,
ethan

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
How about the hds 42? Isnt that a close match? I'd really rather spend less than a hundred bucks, as it can get crazy in a nightclub here and when small lights get smacked out of your hand it can travel far! (I also have an M3 Surefire I use for more heavy duy stuff)
Thanks again!
ethan

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Bouncer212 said:
How about the hds 42?
Yes as well! I only suggested these two lights because of the similar form of the ARC 4+...I hear the McLux PD is EXCELLENT - don't have one yet - but will someday!

Last edited:

*Bryan*

Enlightened
the HDS 42 would be closest, but the 60 clearly has more power. I think the PD would be able to be bounced around more though...

GregWormald

Enlightened
If you only use it only on high power then the HDS Basic lines are no good-they start on a medium power and the default cannot be changed. How about a Fenix P1 or LP1?
Greg

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get either a B42 (or 42GT or 42XR or 42XRGT, whatever you can find) for under $100, or an Ultimate 60 for $170. IMO it's pointless to buy a B60 or B60LE since they're $160, only $10 less than the Ultimate, and you can customize it however you want.

What level did the Arc 4 turn on at the first button push? If it turned on on max first (30 lumens IIRC?), and that's what you're used to, you might find a Basic 42 obnoxious, as it turns on at 10 lumens on first push. After that, you need to do the double click, press and hold to turn it on to 42 lumens.

Unfortunately, it's my opinion (and many others' as well) that the HDS clip is vastly inferior to the original Arc clip. In fact, I'd say that if you get an HDS, you'll love the light so much you'll get over the loss of the Arc 4, but you'll still wish you had the old clip. The HDS clip is still perfectly usable, but it rides about an inch higher in the pocket, and I find that it's difficult to clip inside my pocket without using 2 hands (but with the Arc clip, it's easy with 1). There is a project in the works to make Arc 4 style clips for HDS owners.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/114565

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you only used the light on high power, then the other levels and options are just an added expense that you aren't using. Since your cap is $100, why not get a Fenix P1, or Amilite, or SF E1L?

greenLED

Flashaholic
ChocolateLab33 said:
Get an HDS LE, turns on at 60 lumens. :rock:
...and it's scorching bright. Even with full illumination inside the SHOT Show arena, I managed to quasi-blind myself with one of these.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure even the HDS 60 LE will replace what he previously used. He said he only used the highest setting, and I'd bet he often used it in momentary mode. Although the LE does come on to the highest setting, it doesn't offer a true momentary. Or does it?

The Ultimate 60 would work, but it's well over his budget. I'm thinking about a Surefire E1L (spot) or an L4 (flood), but they're probably both too large and too expensive.

Something like a Fenix L1P is probably the right size, price, and output, but I'd think the reverse clicky would be a deal breaker. The Fenix P1 would be even worse with the twisty. I think he also said he needed a pocket clip, and neither of these lights have one.

Doesn't anybody make a small, cheap, bright Lux light with a normal clicky on it?

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be a *bit* too large and doesn't have the clip :(, but the Dorcy Super 1 Watt is a steal at $20- the beam is bright and perfectly white, and the switch, while it is a reverse clicky, is very soft and easy to operate quickly.

Not too many options that really fit the bill on the cheap (like others have said, if you spend enough money for the PD, etc, you can find what you want) but here are 2 more tries:

The JetBeam Jet 1 is set to come out with a 2 stage switch/pocket clip combo next month. Unfortunately, we're all waiting right now, but it should be perfect for you when it does hit our shores. The beam is truly incredible for a AA light (and I'd be scared to see it on a 14500 Lion). I can't tell you much more about the switch, since Emilion hasn't released info yet (he said he will in a few days), so I don't know if it will come on high, but this is the only "cheap" option I can think of with a pocket clip.

If momentary on is big concern, there is the Triton line- for your needs I'd go with the 3 Watt version since it is noticably brighter. No clip though.

Good luck,
Jon

Bouncer212

Newly Enlightened
OK OK
Thanks SO much for all the input, but I am missing my arc4 soooo much- I never used it in a momentary mode, and am kinda resolved to spend more money to get another (MAX $200), maybe the HDS LE, but now I read that the clip stinks, and I dont think I wanna use a holster so...decisions decisions!!! And after much thought, it was also fun with the 'WOW factor'- everyone who saw it wanted it, tried to buy it (Or asked how much). Man I am BUMMED, but I guess losing my arc4 beats havin my face broken, or other things....Was just so perfect, and the combination of tiny size and bright light was so perfect for me- (I did look up the mclux pd, but couldnt find one or the price...And yes, used the arc 4 on high power only

So...200 bucks, small, bright with clip....
Thanks again,
ethan

Last edited: