A Surefire Blue Filter Question

Timber

Newly Enlightened
Several weeks ago I inquired about Hunting/Tracking flashlight recommendations and received many useful replies. As a result of an AE Powerlight 24W purchase (great light - see my new HID Post) and test I discovered that at least to my eyes incandescents were better outside, particularly for woods navigation. Color rendition, contrast, and depth perception were all superior with an incandescent.

I'm thinking a SF with a Blue Filter (in conjuction with a Streamlight SL-20X or 35X for general navigation) will meet my tracking needs although my only experience with SF is my G2. I am really impressed with SF's quality and dependability. I understand that SF's are not noted for their throw but are designed for close tactical applications which seem perfect for my intended use.

Notwithstanding the oval beam characteristics of the M3's and in deference to Leukos reply to my original question (thank you) I am considering it as well as the M4 and M6, all in their lowest lumen configurations for maximum burn times. I think any less lumens will not work as I was told by a SF technical representative that filters cut the available lumens in half. I was also told that Turbo Heads narrow the beam by about 25%. Therein lies my question. Will the M4(MN60-225 lumen bulb) and M6(MN20-250 lumens when available) have too much of a narrow spot beam for use with a Blue Filter at ranges of say 3 feet (standing with the flashlight pointed down) to 12 feet?

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hey there Timber...can you consider breaking your posts into paragraphs? A lot of folks merely skip over posts that are all crammed up...too busy/hard on the eyes.

Maybe it's just the older members complaining?! :D

Timber

Newly Enlightened
Okay. Sorry. I tried but every time it would lump it all back together when I hit the 'preview post'. I tried again and ended up separating the paragraphs - still would not indent the first of every paragraph. I'm an old guy too! Don't know much about flashlights or computors. Just looking for a little help.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Timber-

The M3, M3T, M4 & M6 are great lights. I think they are overkill for your tracking purposes. Runtime and number of batteries consumed might be a factor.

Blood trail tracking is a close-up fairly short range activity. Huge output and long throw are not necessary.

You might just try your G2 with a blue filter. Surefire FM36 (expensive) or try a Bushwacker size 3 blue filter-about $7. It will work fine. Your G2 with a P60 will provide plenty of light.

I highly recommend getting an M3T. Just about my absolute favorite. A great light with many uses, just not throttled back for close work.

Mark

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to contradict a fellow CPFer, but I would not consider a bushwacker blue filter because they tend to filter out too much of the red spectrum, I would spend the extra $$ for a SF Fxx or FMxx blue filter. Like Flash_Gordon said, tracking is generally a close range activity and a turbo head is overkill and perhaps could make it a little more difficult because the beam is so concentrated. As to which SF model to use, that is entirely up to your preference. If you are getting up there in years and the eyesight isn't so good, go for more lumens. It makes sense to get a blue filter for your G2 and see if that works for you. If you need more lumens, get a 9P and you can still use the same filter. I'm not sure why you would need to carry the other flashlights for navigation as you can always just flip up the blue filter when you need the regular beam. Besides, a blue filter works best with night adapted eyes rather than in conjuction with another light.