Got email from a Moderator.... "Tweak" Mags...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
... No nothing bad.

He suggested I tell more about my 'tweaking' of Mag lights.

I am a fan of lights that focus by moving the reflector in and out. The Mag system uses that cam to push down on the spring loaded bulb holder. This is all well and good, but in every Mag of that style prior to my new 2D it took some tweaking to get a decent beam. Why the 2D is so perfect is a mystery!

Anyhow, my tweaking consists of paper shims (don't have access to anything better in my CHEAP price range!) and bending the bulb flange hither or yon to get the bulb filament as perfectly centered as possible. My 4D is pretty darn good, but this newest 2D blows it into the weeds! The 2D will come back to that perfect spot time and again. The other lights can be fussy. I only wish it was a 3D so I could brighten it up considerably! (May need to play with my 3D to get it better...)

Anyhow, glad I could clear it up (and like no one ever thought of this stuff on their own?)

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there are easy ways to make that 2D mag of yours into a 3C cell mag... and it is completly reversable. all it takes is a rubber washer, some PVC pipe and a pair of pliers...

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
This is the first mod I ever did(I've only done two). Most of the mods I see for luxeon has the heatsink mounted in the body, but I chose to make mine rest in the head and convert it to 3c. It is a 2d maglite. I machined the black insert piece to replace the reflector and it holds the heatsink down into the bottom of the head. I wired the luxeon direct and ran the wires into the existing bulb holder. I bought some cheap pvc cut it to length and modified the existing tail spring. I still need to cut it down some more as it is still too tight when screwing into place. I cut the spring with a dremel tool and then bent the new shape. Excluding the led end of this mod, coverting it to 3c is very simple.

Click the following link for pictures:
http://jbj.home.texas.net/ebay.htm

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey, Bushman. I knew that a 2D to 3C was possible, but haven't ever tried it. Got any more of an explanation (any picts?) for how to do it? Thanks!

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also emailed some pics to ChrisM to show how the battery conversion is done... Mabey he could post them to the board? Thanks. mike