ORB Raw or ORB Raw NS?? Which is best?

onthebeam

Enlightened
I'm about the bite the bullet and buy a Raw (which is just about the size of a bullet!).

Which should I buy? I noticed in a post by Rob that he says that the NS is now as bright as the Raw because of the new Joker reflector. He says all Raws are now the same brightness.

If that's true, should I go with the NS? Is it likely to be more durable? I've heard the original scratches up a bit. How is the NS (nickel silver) wearing for those who use it as an EDC?

Do both models have O-rings now, or just the NS?

Also, I like the fact that the latest Raws are now shipping with a protected RCR2 cell. The smaller 14250 cell in the NS is not protected and I really don't want to be blowing up the place. . . (Hopefully AW will decide to make a run of protected 14250s, and soon.)

Much thanks in advance for your input everyone.

Last edited:

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
I DID'T KNOW THAT THEY ALL HAD THE NEW JOKER REFLECTOR! I'VE YET TO BUY EITHER ONE BUT AM CURIOUS AS TO WHAT THIS THREAD BRINGS. I REALLY WANT A THE NS BUT AM CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND, SEEMS TO ME THE NS WOULD BE MORE DURABLE WITH THE MATERIAL AS WELL AS TEH "O" RINGS. SORRY I COULN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTION OR TAKE MY CAPS LOCK OFF BEFORE WRITING THIS BUT I WILL BE WATCHING CLOSELY!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
The new standard RAW is actually an improved version of the older original version. It now has a lanyard attatchment point and more threads between the two sections for a more secure and tighter light. It is the same body style and "look" as the NS.

The only advantage may be a lighter weight and better runtime I believe on the RAW. The NS I have is much heavier than my RAW however to me it feels like a better light in the hand....just personal opinion there but I like my NS best.

Honestly with anything from Orb you can not go wrong. Great customer service and great products. Buy either one and you will be pleased.

lightrod

Enlightened
After about 1 month of EDC and constant "playing" with my Ns I can see no wear marks/scratches whatsoever. Has taken on a bit of a golden tint which is normal (I actually like it). I like the fact I have water resistance (with the o-ring seals) and don't need to worry about it getting wet. The feel is great in the hand and pocket - heavier than the Raw but I like that. Overall just flat out has the look and feel of quality.

Brightness is now advertised as the same with the new reflector and removal of a resistor, so the wow factor is very slightly advantage Ns due to the slightly smaller size - but here I think we're splitting hairs!

Two stage is standard on the Ns, and is available as an option on the Raw. 100% no-brainer to order it if you go with the Raw.

The battery is a downer on the Ns. As indicated above the rechargable is not available in a protected version (although it has been pointed out the energy content of this small cell is much less than for example a 123 cell so relative risk is lessened). Another concern is availability. As far as I know, only AW sells the rechargables. I got several of them extra just in case they become "extinct". SAFT has a non-rechargable version that is a viable alternative to some, with very long run times in theory, but you do not get the intense brightness on high from that cell.

I feel basically OK with "managing" the 14250 cells (I seem to always/frequently be switching out rechargable batteries in my lights anyway - including the protected ones) but would jump at the protected cells if they become available, just to take one thing off my mind.

Overall - don't know that you can really go wrong here. 100% assurance comes from getting both - but if you do that you might drive yourself nuts trying to decide which to carry!

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Robocop said:
The new standard RAW is actually an improved version of the older original version. It now has a lanyard attatchment point and more threads between the two sections for a more secure and tighter light. It is the same body style and "look" as the NS.

The only advantage may be a lighter weight and better runtime I believe on the RAW. The NS I have is much heavier than my RAW however to me it feels like a better light in the hand....just personal opinion there but I like my NS best.

Honestly with anything from Orb you can not go wrong. Great customer service and great products. Buy either one and you will be pleased.

The new standard RAW does have the same base as the NS (see https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116256), but not the grooves around the head of the NS (see the front page of www.theorb.co.uk for a picture of them side by side). It doesn't have the o-rings either.
The NS has the 2 stage switch as standard, it's £5 extra on the RAW. So, if you want 2 stages, the price difference is £15.

If you are interested in getting protected cells for the NS (or new Ti/Ag) RAW, please get over to this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122600 and register your interest. AW needs to know that sufficient people want them before they will be made - they won't happen unless enough of us ask for them on that thread.

I'm sitting by the front door every morning at the moment waiting for my NS to arrive.... (pilotmx5 - go on, you've convinced yourself you want one, make the order :grin2: )

Don

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I prefer the NS it is smaller and has more heft. It is totally bright and does have plenty of wow factor.
Go with the NS If you don't like it (you will) sell it off and buy the raw.
To the NS is made to a higher tolerance, it has a better fit and finish in my opinion.
Both are great choices for small and bright flashlights. The addition of a 2nd stage gives the user a great option for a long run time on LOW. Very handy since these lights drain a cell rather quickly when on high.
Yaesumofo

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Raws and an NS and they are all great. If you are only going for one, I'd suggest the NS. If you get the Raw you may wish later that you had got the smaller. Only thing is that the NS is really quite heavy for it's size. About 50 grams where the Orb is about 30. If you are puting it on a keyring and sticking it in your pocket you may want to go for the Orb.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightrod said:
The battery is a downer on the Ns . . . As far as I know, only AW sells the rechargables.

This is what kept me from buying the NS (tho I do have U-bin and T-bin Raws). Same thing with Modamag's new light. AW, and/or these specialty batteries, could disappear, and then that little light doesn't do you much good.

:)

cheers

Dogliness

Enlightened
onthebeam:

I have both the Orb Raw and Orb Raw NS. I agree with you that lack of a protected cell for the NS is a disadvantage. Nevertheless, if I were you I would still go for the NS. Make sure you get a new one with the modified reflector, or buy the modified reflector from the Orb website. I have both reflectors, and the modified reflector results in a signifcantly brighter beam.

The advantages of the Raw for me are that it is quite a bit lighter, and uses a more common RCR2 battery available in protected cells.

The reason I like the NS a lot more is the superior craftmanship and beautiful finish. [Edited to delete comment about the smoothy]. The NS has a much more solid feel and better balance, and I think is hands down more attractive. To me the Raw looks like an ordinary flashlight, and the NS an extraordinary one.

If you get the Raw, be sure to buy the optional 2-stage.

Bob

Further edit: My comment about the original Orb Raw is not to suggest it is not a pretty terrific flashlight in its own right. I think it is. I just think the NS is quite a bit nicer. I am a big fan of the Orb. I have the Orb Raw, Raw NS and Raw Ti, and hope to get a new Orb in Ti for which Rob has posted a thread entitled New Orb Ti Interest & Development Thread in the Manufacturer's Corner forum.

Last edited:

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Dogliness said:
..... I don't know why anyone would want a smoothy. I think the design of the standard version is much more attractive (but of course it is a matter of taste). ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a smoothy is just an NS without a tritium slot isn't it? It still looks the same otherwise?
(I've ordered a smoothy on that basis because I would break a tritium vial in short order, and I don't need the slot collecting fluff...)

Don

Dogliness

Enlightened
I thought a smoothy is a flashlight where the battery tube is smooth (without the scultured ridges), but I definitely could be wrong. I may have just assumed that from the name. Perhaps someone can tell us what it is.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I thought a smoothie was one without the slot for a tritium vial and maybe also without the logo on the side? But the same shape as a normal one...

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The so called Raw Ns Smoothy is identical to the Raw Ns, Apart from it has no slot for the optional H3 Vial. It still has all the other design features including the Milled Logo.
:thanks:

Dogliness

Enlightened
orb said:
The so called Raw Ns Smoothy is identical to the Raw Ns, Apart from it has no slot for the optional H3 Vial. It still has all the other design features including the Milled Logo.
thanks.gif

Thanks for explaining that. I edited my post #9 since my comment about the smoothy was based on my misunderstanding about what a smoothy is.

Last edited:

moses

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the recent crop's beam pattern between the RAW and NS? The NS is 2mm smaller and am wondering if it has as good a throw and focus as the RAW.

Blessings,
Mo

gorn

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me the best place to buy an Orb? I was going to get one from seriouslights in Canada for $99, but I see one of our dealers out of Hong Kong has them for $71. That is a huge difference.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a fan of the Raw series since those first, now cherished U bins.
That new reflector on the Ns about seals the deal fro me. I am just starting to use RCR123s in my P1 they are protected RCR123 batteries. I am concerned about unprotected 14250 NS batteries. I'm sure they are ok yet I would like to se e a protected cell. I appreciate the other 14250 protected request thread .

moses

Enlightened
For me, my pref is with the RAW (but have never held the NS) because it can use CR2 in a pinch and still produce light. Carry a standard CR2 in my travel pack and I'm good to go when I can't charge etc.

Plus it is lighter, and have a larger reflector. However, not having the sealing is a bummer.

Mo

lightrod

Enlightened
gorn said:
Can anyone tell me the best place to buy an Orb? I was going to get one from seriouslights in Canada for $99, but I see one of our dealers out of Hong Kong has them for $71. That is a huge difference.

One consideration FWIW: if you can't find exactly what you want in stock, buying straight from Orb gives the potential to customize your light - e.g. number of trits, trit color(s), LED type.

Rob (Orb) is very responsive if you e-mail him directly, is willing to do anything he can, and is refreshingly honest (he has cautioned me a time or two about buying something that may not give the desired benefit!)

BTW: my Ns (3 blue trits, new reflector design) totally rocks. Can't be without it. Was recently at the beach on vacation, broad daylight just chillin under the umbrella and had a hard time leaving the light in the room. Crazy.

Last edited: