G2 Questions

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm planning on the Surefire plunge, and would appreciate your input on any or all of the following questions:

1) Pyrex lens? It appears so.

2) Waterproof? Yes, No, Sort of?

3) With P61 lamp, better than Surge?

4) Brightness with P60 lamp, better than E2? (65 vs. 60 Lumens). Overall beam quality comparisons?

5) I saw a picture on PKs site with a lanyard ring. I need a lanyard, so is this definitely an option? Can't find lanyard listed as accessory anywhere.

6) Best place to get one and bulbs?

Yes, I know. I would eventually get the E2e (and hex wrench
grin.gif
) and stick the G2 in the car. So one more question.

7) By 60 min. runtime, does that mean there's still usable light for longer? If so, about how long? An hour may not cut it for the car if you've got to do some repair work.

Thanks in advance!!!

Redball

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guy!

I've had the G2 for about six months now and until recently it was my everyday carry light. (Just got an E2 last week). To answer you questions:

1)Lens is polycarbonate not Pyrex.

2)I have used it in heavy rain with no ill effects, but I have never submerged it.

3)Don't have a Surge so I can't compare.

4)Good timing because I now have an E2 to compare it with. There is no noticeable difference between the 60 and 65 lumen bulbs as far as brightness. Mind you this is a "shine the light against the wall test". As for beam quality, the E2 has a "rounder hotspot" compared to the P60, which is slightly oval.

5)There is a lanyard that attaches to the tail cap. (Product # Z33).
6)I purchased mine from the Cutlery Shoppe six months ago for $40. Unfortunately they are no longer advertising it online so I would call them for availability.

7)Because I use the light intermittently I can't give you a definitive run time, but the first set of batteries lasted about four months before I had to change them. The light will get dimmer towards the end.

Currently I have the 9N, 8NX, M2 and the newly acquired E2. I purchased the G2 because of the price and I was afraid of scratching and/or losing the M2 ($40 vs. $110). It still looks new and has been a reliable companion. Hope this helps.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rick, I don't know if you have a scale. But I was wondering the exact weight difference between an E2 and a G2 with batteries. Also with the beams, any opinions on them at a distance of over 20 feet?
smile.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hi,

I recently obtained a G2 in yellow (only one available by the UK importer when I wanted a G2)and I can compare it in light output to my M2 which also uses a P60 bulb. The light output seems slightly less than from the M2, due I think to the better light transmission of pyrex as opposed to the plastic lens of the G2.

The beam on my G2 definitely seems more oval, but that could just be the bulb in the G2 at the moment.

The bulb in the G2 can be swopped for a more powerful version (P61) but this will drastically reduce the run time on the Lithium batteries to about 20 minutes as opposed to the one hour with a P60 bulb.

The G2 has 'O' ring seals at both ends and is considerd as 'water resistant' but not waterproof. I have already dropped mine and my 2 year old son through it against the floor today and the bulb is OK so I guess the Nitrolon helps with a limited form of shock proofing?

The only negative thing that I have found is that Nitrolon in anything other than black gets dirty very quickly as the Nitrolon seems to absorb some of the contaminents that mine gets exposed to. In particular do not allow yellow Nitrolon to be used anywhere near a felt tip pen as it will be permanently marked by the experience. (Of course I suppose that could be a plus point if you want to ensure that it as identified as belonging to you?)

One other plus point of a Nitrolon G2 is that in the plastic V70 holster it fits really securely until needed and yet doesn't appear to get marked on the body by the retaining spring clip.

regards,

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
Soon, you will be able to buy Pyrex Lensed Bezels and LockOut TailCaps for your G2s. This will effectivily waterproof them!

The Nitrolon is light-weight and helps protect the Lamp Assembly against shocks.
I have noticed that the G2-YL gets dirty. WWWR has cleaned them up 'til now, and I ahve yet to experiment with any more exotic cleaning products.

Al

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guy guyver, in response to question #7, the runtime for CR123 type lights are a bit unusual if this is going to be your first 123 operated light. When i first got my E2 i was expecting the same as you...i expected 75 minutes of useable light, and then maybe 30 minutes more of "dying" light. But this isn't the case. If they say you get 60 minutes then you will get only 60 minutes or less.

Lithium batteries will give there all until they've got nothing else to give. Meaning you will get ALMOST constant brightness throughout the battery's lifetime. THen when it ends, it goes out like a candle at the end of it's wick. Constant brightness...then it suddenly dims out - in a matter of seconds.

So don't get cought without batteries or a backup light when you plan on using these types of lights. I always either carry extra batteries on my person or in a backpack. But when it comes to parties, and other semi-formal social gatherings that require a caot or blazer, i bring a small LED light on my person and keep the spare batteries in the car.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tree:
Rick, I don't know if you have a scale. But I was wondering the exact weight difference between an E2 and a G2 with batteries. Also with the beams, any opinions on them at a distance of over 20 feet?
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tree,

I'm not Rick, but here are some observations:

The G2 w. batt weighs 4oz
The E2 w batt weighs 3oz
My scale is accurate to within .1oz

I prefer the G2 beam because it is aomewhat more tightly focused. Beyond 20 feet is is far brighter than the E2.

BTW, Both lights have a (unofficial)"Lock-out bezel"

E2: As little as .1 of a counterclockwise turn locks out light. I recommend a full rev.
G2: Approz. 1 1/2 counterclockwise turns locks out the light. I recommend 2 - 2 1/2 rev.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all your replies and advice. I would definitely want a Pyrex lens, so I'm glad to hear it will eventually be available.