Need new light brighter than Streamlight 4AA Lux.

QED

Newly Enlightened
I like the Streamlight 4AA lux, but I'm looking for an upgrade or Mod.

Not sure if I can meet all of the criteria but here they are:
-something around the same size
-option for rechargeable batteries
-regulated with constant high output for at least 30 minutes
-cost < $150
-much brighter
-equal or better throw
-highly desireable to have 2 stage switch for lower output option (reading, etc).

Suggestions?

QED

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello QED:)

Welcome at CPF:grin2:

Not regulated but fits the other criterias:

Elektrolumens "Little Friend"

Best regards

_____
Tom

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the stream light strion?

the rechargeable version costs 100+

it is incan, but way brighter then the 4aa luxeon.

no two stage though... you can use the 4aa as low :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want to stay with AA or willing to switch to CR123A lithiums?

For AA the only light I can think of is the Nuwai X-3.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

To get the brightness you need you need 2xCR123A which brings you into exploding flashlight territory. The only 1x123 I can think of is the HDS ultimate 60. Due to budget limitations you will have to settle for the HDS basic 60.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm
Go to the HDS subforum under manufacturers for more info.

The brightest light I got is MY LITTLE FRIEND from Electrolumens. 4xAAA driving 3x3watt luxeons. 20-30 minutes on high. 1+ hour on low which is still brighter than any 1 watt LED light.
http://elektrolumens.com/LittleFriend/LittleFriend.html
Shopping cart. Suggest you buy the 1000MAH batteries for max runtime - you need 2 packs (i didn't).
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens&product=Little+Friend
The light has not been reviewed yet but here is a review of Wayne's older C cell version.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/elektrolumens_phazer.htm
There is a review thread on CPF
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122623

For reference
SL PP 4AA lux $32 - 56.4 throw 28 total output
Nuwai X-3 $35 - 42 throw 34.5 total output
HDS basic 60 $160 - 38.47 throw 44.3 total output
MLF Hi $125 - 66.47 throw 120 total output (assumed to be the same as the tristar phaser, same 3x3W fraen tri-lens 6V)
MLF Lo 38 throw 40 total output (my estimate from lo=1/3 of hi)

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
WolfEyes Raider series (200 lumens) at PTS

of course the version with the LED tailcap for two-stage and with a rechargeable kit for pretty much constant output (regulated by the flat discharge curve of the li-on batteries).

size is about the same as the SL PP Lux 4AA, maybe slightly larger in some areas, but will stomp it in output with the incan, while providing a nice flood of close range light with the LEDs. all for around $100 bucks with PTS's great prices.

QED said:
I like the Streamlight 4AA lux, but I'm looking for an upgrade or Mod.

Not sure if I can meet all of the criteria but here they are:
-something around the same size
-option for rechargeable batteries
-regulated with constant high output for at least 30 minutes
-cost < $150
-much brighter
-equal or better throw
-highly desireable to have 2 stage switch for lower output option (reading, etc).

Suggestions?

QED

Brinkmann Maxfire maybe?
not regulated, but because it uses lithium, the voltage is quite steady so its somewhat self regulating. Maintains around 70% output at 30minutes. Cost $20 at Target and its output is like 3 times that of your streamlight. You can use CRV3 3.0V 123 shaped rechargeables if you want.

QED

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja said:
Do you want to stay with AA or willing to switch to CR123A lithiums?

No requirement to stay with AAs.

Thx - QED

QED

Newly Enlightened
If the cost is a big barrier for getting the right light I can always spend more...this time :grin2:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electrolumens!!!
that 3 for $100 deal looks good,:sold: the"Little Friend" looks good, that "Blaster" looks real good.
Wayne has made a contribution to the world of personal lighting!

Buckeye

Enlightened
If you want to stay with an LED another option is the CPF Limited Edition 4 Watt VB-16 (CPF LE 4W). It is for sale by CPF member Wit's End in a groupbuy. I have one and really like it. It uses 2 CR123As or one Li-Ion rechargeable. The thinner rechargeables will definitely fit and some of the thicker ones will. (17650, 17670 or 18650 are the size designations) I remember that the Pila 600P will fit. I have the Wolf Eyes (WE) LRB-150A battery (the thicker one) and it fits for width, but it is not long enough. The WE LRB-169A should fit. I have not bought a rechargeable for it. I am using 123A primaries. It lasts 2 hours on high. It has two buttons on the body near the head to adjust the light level up and down. There are about 16 levels. It has a twisty with momentary contact and lockout capability. The cost is $52 with $5.80 shipping. The rechargeable batteries will have to be purchased separately. Compared to the SL 4AA Lux it has about 10% less throw, but it is 62% brighter.

The review on Flashlight Reviews is here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/britestuff_vari-brite.htm
The purchase info is here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112127

I also have the Wolf Eyes 9D Raider with the Li-Ion rechargeables. It has the Turbo head. It costs $60 for use with 3 CR123As. It runs $110 with the Li-Ion kit on Pacific Tactical Solutions. You will get a discount when you sign up and follow the directions on the CPF members discount page. The 9D is wickedly bright. The Wolf Eyes Raider 9TX is on sale now for $40 for CPF members. It has the smaller (non-Turbo head) and an LED tailcap.
I hope this helps.
Doug

Tremendo

Enlightened
LEDninja said:
For reference
SL PP 4AA lux $32 - 11.51 throw 21.5 total output

Not correct. You have to get his starting point right. The SL4AA LUXEON has a throw of 54, overall of 23. VERY different from a throw of 11. You list the regular LED, NOT the Luxeon.

Illum

Flashaholic
I use the PP for throw only, its not that usable for flood unless you have additional optics mounted

Are you asking for brighter throw or brighter flood?

QED

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
I use the PP for throw only, its not that usable for flood unless you have additional optics mounted

Are you asking for brighter throw or brighter flood?

The throw is pretty good in the Streamlight 4AA LUX so I'd like to keep that amount of throw or better. I'm looking for something with much more overall output at the expense of runtime (while still meeting the other criteria above).

Thx - QED

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
mind if I ask- did you buy the Propoly lux based on a recomendation given to you by a cpf member in a thread asking what you should buy???

i'll explain later... hehe...

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
QED

After several hours use, I felt the need to get more spill from my SL4AALux.

I added a disk of "WriteRight" film to the exterior of the lens. This SIGNIFICANTLY smoothed out the central spot and added a lot of spill - for walking and peripheral vision at night.

This might solve your problem.

John

Last edited:

QED

Newly Enlightened
mdocod said:
mind if I ask- did you buy the Propoly lux based on a recomendation given to you by a cpf member in a thread asking what you should buy???

i'll explain later... hehe...

I based the Propoly lux purchase based on reading CPF and http://www.flashlightreviews.com. I did not post a thread asking for recommendations on a light for that purchase though I'm sure I read existing posts about it.

Why do you ask?

Thx - QED

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are willing to spend $150.00, then I suggest spending a little more and buy a Surefire U2. It's probably one of the brightest LED's out right now and you can get it through EBAY for less than $200.00. I already went through buying different LED lights trying to save money, and out of curiousity I bought my first Surefire U2 and that totally satisfied my cravings for brightness and throw.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Hi QED - Have you looked at the LedLogic Striker VG? About $129 with rechargeable batteries, charger, sheath. Momentary, dimmable, strobe. Can run on 2x123a primaries as well.

It is a "top pick" on flashlightreviews.com. Very well built and available from www.batteryjunction.com a CPM member.

I think it meets all your requirements.

QED

Newly Enlightened
cd-card-biz said:
Hi QED - Have you looked at the LedLogic Striker VG? About $129 with rechargeable batteries, charger, sheath. Momentary, dimmable, strobe. Can run on 2x123a primaries as well.

It is a "top pick" on flashlightreviews.com. Very well built and available from www.batteryjunction.com a CPM member.

I think it meets all your requirements.

Hmmmmm. I like it. I think I need to get one of these... QED