Found 2 flashlights worth my money

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=264790

This is well made from Smith & Wesson.
Nice feature with 2 in 1 combo and yes it is surprisingly bright for both lights.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=196190

This one I first ordered one, then when it arrived I ordered 2 more because:
1. Price.
2. The look with silvery finish accented by generous non-slip rubber bumps.
3. It has nice feeling in my hand and very very heavy (almost one and a half pound!!).
It has window telling you how many minutes left for the halogen beam and how many HOURS left for the 3 LEDs (max 15 hours on LEDs alone). Blue glow for easy find at night.
The 4 AA NiCd can easily be replaced too.
Oh...you can turn both lights on at the same time.

:rock:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that the Smith & Wesson one comes with a deluxe holster that has a spare battery compartment (2 AA batteries included), a key chain with a spare bulb in a custom case that is also a screw driver.

:rock: :rock:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure of which one(s) you're referring to as the second link goes to a Vector light.

Additionally, Smith & Wesson does not manufacture flashlights. A company named PowerTech in Collierville Tennessee is however, licensed to use the Smith & Wesson name on flashlights that they import from China though. This would be the more likely resource for your flashlights.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just going on the web site photo of the S&W badged light, it looks to be an example of how not to design a hybrid flashlight.

See that tiny reflector for the centered incan? There's just not enough area to create a good parabola to point source ratio for a (hopefully) <=4.8V bulb. Likely the output would be a directional candle mode beam. Now if this torch is not 4 series AA NiCad but 2 series 2 parallel AA NiCad with a 2.8 V bulb then the beam would be a floody MiniMag.

I don't own one so this is all speculation on my part.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak maybe you're right about the reflector size however, I really like the design though the 5mm LEDs had more space than they should. Maybe moded with a Luxeon LED, the design would be more functional.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right and that's why I posted "2 AA batteries includes" in the second post.

PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Doesn't say on the web page ANYTHING about what batteries it takes. How could anyone make a choice not knowing that?

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
First link for S&W
Second for the Vector

Brighteyez said:
Not sure of which one(s) you're referring to as the second link goes to a Vector light.

Additionally, Smith & Wesson does not manufacture flashlights. A company named PowerTech in Collierville Tennessee is however, licensed to use the Smith & Wesson name on flashlights that they import from China though. This would be the more likely resource for your flashlights.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
It takes 2 AA and the Xenon beam is adjustable:
From 5 feet the beam can be adjusted from about 12" to 18" in diameter and the intensity in the middle with tightest setting is about 6".

Icebreak said:
Just going on the web site photo of the S&W badged light, it looks to be an example of how not to design a hybrid flashlight.

See that tiny reflector for the centered incan? There's just not enough area to create a good parabola to point source ratio for a (hopefully) <=4.8V bulb. Likely the output would be a directional candle mode beam. Now if this torch is not 4 series AA NiCad but 2 series 2 parallel AA NiCad with a 2.8 V bulb then the beam would be a floody MiniMag.

I don't own one so this is all speculation on my part.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I realize that but I really like the finish and quality of this one over many that were made in China. I have a collection of over 40 pieces of various makes. Yes many Chinese ones have sharp edges, uneven threads and so on but they also make fine pieces like Fenix. This S&W has nice and smooth finish, o-ring front and rear and the balance in hand is very good. The rough texture is alos about right while some others are too sharp or not properly located.

I am happy with both units.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/tanasit/PICT3941.jpg

Brighteyez said:

mac66

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your quick reveiw. I saw those lights at SG and wondered about them.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
tanasit said:
It takes 2 AA and the Xenon beam is adjustable:
From 5 feet the beam can be adjusted from about 12" to 18" in diameter and the intensity in the middle with tightest setting is about 6".
Throws better than I would have thought.

Seems like the guy that runs PowerTech told us he was trying pretty hard to get better QC so maybe this one of the results.

Thanks for telling us about it.

Last edited: