why is the CR2 ION so expensive.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a very nicely made piece. I've got two of the Al-Bronze and one is carried daily...usually for use at night though, heh, heh.. :candle:

Karl

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a Ti and a "Burgundy", worth every penny IMO.
Well made "custom", good electronics, excellent reflector for flood , 2 stage switch.

One of the very nicest lights for the price!

jeffb

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
I agree, I could never justify a price like that for a small keychain light. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice. It's pretyt amazing it's regulated etc. But I'd take another A2 Aviator for that price.

Fringe

Enlightened
I think it is one of the cheaper lights I own and I love it. My favorite thing about it is the material it is made out of- Aluminum Bronze, the stuff is awesome. Tuff as nails and the best part is that it turned from a shiney gold hue to a rich antiquated tarnished bronze look with deeper shades by the unhandled areas. I would love more lights in this material, but the only down side is weight. A little heavy.

GregWormald

Enlightened
Would you guys PLEASE STOP talking about how nice the alu-bronze light is!!! I'm having a hard enough time resisting a CR2 Ion.
Greg
Still with 2 lights on order.

lightwolf

Newly Enlightened
Good just has its price.

I have the CR2 Ion into titanium and I am completely enthusiastic and happy.

Many thanks to Enrique for this "small" masterpiece.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Well, if $155 is "crazy" money, you may want to look at the Orb Raw for "2/3 crazy":

http://www.theorb.co.uk/orbraw.php?PHPSESSID=57c1ca2695e83f751d42adc9a694bf3a

I just got one days ago and it is superb. Incredible "WOW" factor for such a tiny light. Not hard anodized and no O rings, it's probably not as rugged as the ION, but it is a delight to operate. I plan to do some run time tests with it this weekend.

Speaking of run time, I'd love to see some actual numbers from CR2 ION owners. No offense intended, but I find the advertised run time figures for the ION pretty incredible.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if these were already provided or not. Hope I'm not misleading by responding here, I "don't do" run time testing. I read all the tech stuff on all my lights but, I guess it's the "seat of the pants" testing that I'm always involved with--turning 'em on when I need 'em. Certainly as long a run time as you can get is the order of the day with any light but I must confess, I never know how long I've been running any of my lights before there is a need to change the battery. I just carry a spare and go for it. Hopefully someone has done a test (somehow I'd be surprised if they haven't!) and will share their results. In short (whew!) I donno! :laughing:

Karl

greenLED

Flashaholic
:laughing: There was a time when I thought "I'd never pay $100 for a light..." then I bought my first Arc LS... and it's been downhill from there. :crazy:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
:laughing: There was a time when I thought "I'd never pay $100 for a light..." then I bought my first Arc LS... and it's been downhill from there.
:crazy:

i dont think the red smiley likes what the other one is doin to it!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do I think $155 is too much to pay for a CR2 ION? Yes! In fact, I was so disillusioned with the price of the ION that I just bought ANOTHER one! Actually, I had bought a black CR2 ION when they first came out, and sold it a couple weeks after buying it. From the time I sold it, I regretted it...so I just bought another one in lime green. As far as lights are concerned, "too expensive" is simply a matter of personal preference. IMHO, the cost of the ION is a simple case of getting what you pay for; and for what it's worth, I think the ION is worth every penny I paid for it. I think it has the most useful close-range beam I've ever seen in an EDCable light, and with no hotspot to "blind" you, the low setting makes it the best pocket reading light I've ever used! Also, I think the ano colors that the ION is offered in are some of the nicest I've seen...I was gonna put my lime green ION on my keychain, but the color is so nice that I don't wanna risk messing it up...I guess it'll hafta ride in the watch pocket of my jeans! I made the mistake of selling the last CR2 ION I bought; I won't make the same mistake twice!

PJD

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
:laughing: There was a time when I thought "I'd never pay $100 for a light..." then I bought my first Arc LS... and it's been downhill from there. :crazy:

Same here. Seems the Arc LS was the first light for most of us. When I fisrt saw the LS, I thought what a crazy price. Now I'm buying $425 lights. Who's crazy now?

Bright

Newly Enlightened
Two alternatives are the Jil CR2 IT and the Orb Raw:

* JCR2 IT ( aka Intelli, DD TX0H or TW0H with Flupic ) : 115US$ each

- similar size, (a few mm shorter, a few mm wider)

- more brightness levels

- works best with rechargeables, (CR2 Ion woks best with primaries)

- "conventional" hotspot/ spill, (Ion has an even spread of light with no apparent hotspot).

- sales thread in "Dealer's Corner". www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123082

*Orb Raw - 35.00 United Kingdom Pounds ~ $US64.27

- similar size (few mm)

- 2 brightness levels

- no knurling, anodising or o-rings

- works best with rechargeables

- "conventional" hotspot/ spill

- sales thread in "Manufacturer's Corner" www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116256

Something else to consider.

Last edited: