The way forward for LEDs

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

I had suggested some optimizations to the design of the SF U2 a while back which I still think are on target. (Link below)

But now I'm becoming convinced that the way to get dramatically more light from LEDs is multi-reflector lamp heads, similar to what Elektro-Lumens produces. Though these need to be coupled with good regulating electronics, and primary Li or Li-ion rechargable packs.

I'm thinking of a 3-reflector LuxIII/K2 head with a 3-4 CR123 body tube. I kind of like the mental image of having the reflector heads not mounted in one large round head encasement, but individually protruding from the end of the battery holder/body. Picture a missile with 3 rocket engine cones protruding from the bottom, and you know what I am envisioning.

This design concept doesn't help reach the goal of adjustable focus, but it may be the only way to make meaningful increases in lumens.

We need a 180-240 lm LED flashlight in a size-optimized package!

An important advantage such a light would have over the best single emitter lights is that running it at less than full power would exploit both its larger battery capacity as well as the higher luminous efficiency of not driving the LEDs with maximum current. Thus it could achieve very long runtimes at outputs in the 40-80lm range, which is a comfortable output for many situations.

My old post about U2 improvements:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/103842&highlight=xe54+u2