Mounting HD on top of SE - sound sensible?!

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi there folks, I'm still thinking about that http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003718 headlamp of mine I'd like to mod. After further browsing tons of threads here (and finding the information here truly wonderful), I'm currently wondering how sensible to would be to use a 1W Luxeon SE mounted in the reflector I already have, but positioned to act as a broadish-beam (say, about 45deg.). It would be running to spec or slightly over. Then, I would mount a 1W Luxeon HD (or maybe an Optic?) on top of the SE, or maybe stuck somehow to the reflector-cover, about 1cm away from the SE. This HD would be the hot-spot in the beam to have a bit of throw. The wiring would of course have to go past the SE, but I reckon I could lead it on the virtical axis, so that it would just be little fuzzy line in the beam.

* Does this whole idea sound sensible?
* The HD would need to be driven under spec, so as not to get hot at all - but would it be any use in terms if throw then any more?
* Has anybody tried this (search couldn't find anybody)
* Any other ideas / comments anybody?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the only way it would work was if you made a cage type structure out of metal, and trapped the se in the middle, an mounted the hd on top. no matter how much you underdrive it...you will still need some heatsinking.

also, the se would actually be more of the hotspot and create much more throw, and the hd would be more like the corona and not throw mar at all, and the hd beam woud be *very* broad if you didn't use optics (and the only way to do this would be to use the ls/o or somehow glue the optics to the emmiter.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
LS HD
[LS SE]

/\ -> Just trying out a picture..

*edit* ops... underlining didn't work.