Energizer 6AA with Mag charger bulb (old version)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what happen after it's 3rd set of batteries.

fcf46d11.jpg

fcf46d12.jpg

fcf46d13.jpg

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, bummer.

Bet it was bright when it worked though. Guess you've got an excuse to get another light.......

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright? Yep. WAS bright. Too bad I just only got this light and the mag charger bulb. Which means I am temporary broke... OMG! Say... I sent you a PM regarding a Royal Bloooooo 5 watter. You happen to have any? How bout a Cyan 5 watter?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
And my friend who was holding this while we were biking was like :" hey, why isn't there light anymore? I looked in his direction and sure there isn't any beam of light. But the bulb is still on. I immediately grabbed it from him and switch it off. I franatically unscrew the bezel and pooF! Magical column of gray spiralling smoke appeared. The bulb has melted the plastic holder and has fallen to one side. It happens that when it fell to one side, it melted the reflector. And all the smoke trails down from the reflector case too. That explains why the reflector is white and powdery now. There goes USD $25 worth of light and bulb. Small case for you working adults. Big case for me. ARGH!!!!!

Someone got any idea what kinda mod should I do with the carcass?

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Hey I saw those Double barrel 6AA's the other day - they were MASSIVE sized compared to AAA versions.

Was there any physical modding needed to fit the bulbing into the light?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd may or may not have bored out the reflector hole to create a larger air gap from the bulb. If not, that contributed to his mishap.

The bulb sockets get soft, but don't deform in the 9 to 10 watt range for reasonably long run times. Beyond that wattage the DB is safe for only short run times.

The P61 and P91 mods can run for extended times so long as they don't touch the lens.

Beyond 9-10 watts (other than the P61 and P91 mods), complete removal of of the switch assembly and reflector and hard wiring of a higher current switch, bulb socket, and an aluminum reflector are called for.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
Bright? Yep. WAS bright. Too bad I just only got this light and the mag charger bulb. Which means I am temporary broke... OMG! Say... I sent you a PM regarding a Royal Bloooooo 5 watter. You happen to have any? How bout a Cyan 5 watter?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nerd,

I have no more 5W Luxeons; other than white ones at the moment, and they're heading for mods.

The DB are good flashlights, too bad the head and switch weren't made of aluminum. Then it would be a great light with endless possibilities.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Onyx:
Hey I saw those Double barrel 6AA's the other day - they were MASSIVE sized compared to AAA versions.

Was there any physical modding needed to fit the bulbing into the light?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No physical modding was needed to get the bulb into the light. But be warned that the legs of the bulb are the culprit to this total meltdown, they legs got hot, the soften the plastic, the bulb lean sideways into the reflector, and as they say, the rest is history.

Lemlux. Thanks for your advice. I guess I will have to go the P91 mod as I want something bright. The lens is toast too because the smoke that came from the reflector burning blured the lens so much, around 30% visibility gone inside.... so it' maybe 50% light transmission. BAD!

Lambda, thanks your your time.

Sighz... back to the drawing board... the P91 assembly is so ex (for me)... and I have already cut out the front lens. Wondering what to replace it with now... sighz.... any donations of any parts are appreciate.... pls direct all donations offers to [email protected]

(haha, asking for donations on CPF..., something I shouldn't be doing.)

Will post my SL6 mod soon.

Stay bright!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd:

The heat in the bulb pins (and in the switch assembly) is related to the current. The old mag Charger bulb is about 1.7 A. A DB8AA with the same wattage as a DB6AA would require only 3/4 the current. Setting up the flashlight in serial as opposed to the serial / parallel OEM setup allows you to half the amperage again.