I want to Mod my Nuwai tm301 - x3 but I am clueless

yekim

Enlightened
I have a tm301-x3. I have had a love hate relationship with it since i got it, I have always expected more from it, and now that I have an l2t for EDC, I want to give my Nuwai new life.

I like the 2 stages, but I want some regulation and more light, and maybe better throw, but definitely a better quality beam. Longer runtime would be nice, but not a priority.

Anyone here do this sort thing? I am in the middle of moving and do not have a space set up to do up the soldering or anything right now.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I want to Mod my Nuwai but I am clueless

Welcome to CPF Yekim!

I think this light is a 2battery version of the Q3. Paulb started a thread back in Feb 2005 and called it Q3's mother. Here's the LINK

With all the controversy regarding 2cell CR123 lights lately, You might want to mod the Q3 instead. Lots of info in my sigline Q3 link.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi,

I was going to reconmend the Q3 as well! Very easy light to mod with lots of options.

You can:

Add a dual switch for dual brightness
Add o-rings for candle mode
Change lens with UCL ones
Change reflector for a McR-20 ( don't quote me)
Use rechargables
Get a UXOJ star and replace the originals
Get a custom heatsink to put in a 0.55" sammie sized driver
And finally,
Get a FluPIC board and drop it in.

Such a fun light!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh yeah! If you are into the rainbow...lots of fun! you need many many Q3s! =D

yekim

Enlightened

I like my 301's. Q3's are short and stubby. I carry my lights in the leg pocket of my Carhartt jeans, and a 2 cell light works perfect for that. I am not really interested in the Q3 other than that some of the work that can be done to them carries over to the 301....like the reflector.

If I have to, I'll come up with a dummy cell or something and go with Q3 mods, but I am in no rush to go out and buy one.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent solution to use a dummy cell in the light you have! :)

You can buy nice ones from AW. You might want to grab a couple of protected rechargable LiON R123 batteries and charger while your at it. You can make a screaming mod then. I think I have an extra custom made heatsink sitting around here somewhere. I'll be happy to send it to you for $10 if I find it.

I'm a big fan of the reflector too :twothumbs

Oh! Here's a LINK

Last edited:

yekim

Enlightened

What is AW?

I'd like to keep the 2 stages and preferable the two batteries, I am interested in the reflector but I have no clue where to get one or how I would replace the screw in type I have.

I like the tint on my light, it is really really white, but the beam quality is not there, some of which is my fault, when I took it apart, I found out the hard way that the reflective coating wipes off super easy.

It is an s bin lux, so I know it isn't the brightest thing around, but i have no idea how much a lux upgrade would help things.

SI there a drop in regulation board available? This is more of a work light for me so I want to keep it simple. I have a super 1 watt Dorcy that I might stuff a flupic in later on.

And the big question is: Where do I get all this stuff?

vortechs

Enlightened

yekim said:
What is AW?

I just noticed this thread. In case somebody hasn't already mentioned it, AW is a CPF member who has several threads in the Dealer's Corner. Sometimes the people who have been on CPF for a while forget that not everybody immediately recognizes all the CPF dealers by name.

Here is AW's most popular sales thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97268

Here is AW's sales thread that has the dummy AA and CR123 cells: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103143

And here is a neat link that will show you all of the threads that AW has started:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/search.php?do=process&showposts=0&starteronly=1&exactname=1&searchuser=AW

Hope that helps any new people who see this thread.

yekim

Enlightened

Alright, I think I am going to start with a Lux Swap. It has a sbin in it now, an SW1K, which should be a warm tint, but it is pretty white....maybe a little.....beige?

So if I drop in a U-bin, would it be fine so long as it is a U**K? i.e., keep the Vf the same?

For now, I am probably going to keep it using 2 cells.

I still have no idea where to get a McR20 or whatever reflector I need to get, or how I would install it, it seems the reflector in this thing is pretty proprietary.

I am now armed with a soldering iron and I might even know how to use it!!...

antinchip

Newly Enlightened
Is there a simple way of getting the 301 x3 to work with rechargables? CR123A's are expensive in the UK and I am considering getting a Lumapower D-Mini also so would like to see what options there are that would feed both economically.

Cheers

Antinchip