Skunk Lights SkyLight Durability?

kmc111

Newly Enlightened
Hello, all.

I recently bought a Skunk Lights SkyLight Premium Edition from TAD Gear. I love this little light, and I would like to EDC it, but I'm concerned about the fragility of the glass over the solar cells, considering the amount of wear it's likely to face while on my keychain. I've searched for an answer to this, including on here, but have yet to find one. It is advertised as a keychain light. I'm reluctant to try it myself, lest I ruin or impair a $30 light. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it practical to carry on a keychain? Or would I be better off carrying it elsewhere, such as on a cord around my neck? Thanks for any information.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I've been carrying this light on my keys for 4-5 months and it's good as new. I've dropped my keys loads of times. At first I was concerned about the glass breaking but I'm not any more.

It's a great flashlight and really bright. Every once in a while I put it out in the sun to charge it up. Only once has it started to flash/blink to let me know it was running out of juice.

It lives on my keys with an ArcAAA (got a bright one from Merry at SS2006) and a PhotonII (got a bright one from Photon at SS2006) and I'd say it's about the same output and faster/easier to operate.

Al

kmc111

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the reply (and the welcome). I'm surprised (but encouraged) to hear that yours is still good as new. I was concerned that even if the glass didn't break that it would scratch which I imagine would impair the ability of the solar charging. I thought it might be a good idea for the product to have some kind of door to cover the glass when it wasn't being charged, but apparently that's not needed.

I'm a little surprised that these lights aren't better-known... the output looks comparable to my ARC AAA-P as well.

Last edited:

Chao

Enlightened
After read this post, I am considering to get one :huh: