got a new mac mini and have a question

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sick of windows, 3 anti spyware programs and daily updates for anti virus so I bought a new mac mini core duo and a widescreen monitor. I, for the life of me can't figure out how to open two firefox screens at the same time, or one firefox and one opera at the same time either. I can't drag open windows around the screen either, am I misssing something(most certainly yes)

cerbie

Enlightened
You have multiple ones open the same way as in Windows or X: open a new one. Ctrl-n, or the application menu (I'm not sure if will be called File or Firefox).

What is causing you not to have multiple windows up? You run one app, then run another--both will be right there, or in the dock if minimized. OS X doesn't have a real sense of structure with where application files are (not counting user settings), and it's way of doing things could be considered a predecessor to Klik (or inspiration for Klik, maybe).

BTW, you should think about setting Expose to work with a desktop corner. Doing so will make it a wonderful interface tool.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: got a new mac mini and have a question-answered

just a note, I found that there is only one spot to drag the window around with, so, resizing is easy.

cerbie

Enlightened
Yes, only the bottom-left ridged thingie let's you resive windows, and only the titlebar let's you drag. The menu is at the top of the screen for the focused window, and due to deficiencies in the dock (fav article of mine), you should get used to Expose (which is awesome, and no clone for Windows, nor KDE's, had done it as well as the original OS X one, IMO).

OS X is a fine OS (except for the dock being the only taks managing GUI); just give it a bit of time.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
phew, i am not the only one to find a mac confusing to use...

or should i say that it made them so easy, that it became hard?