my wife got us a dog

dragoman

Enlightened
She works at an animal hospital and somebody brought the dog in and left it. A black lab pup, apparently very friendly.

I'm currently out of town, so she did this without telling me.....grrrrr...

At least I got to name it.......Conan it is :D

dragoman

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bad news: You didn't discuss it first. The good news: It's a dog! If your wife works at an animal hospital, she probably knows how healthy it is and such. And yes, labs are indeed friendly. You'll have many wonderful years of tummy rubs and adorable expressions. Taking care of a dog can be a lot of work, but what you'll get out of the effort will easily let you forget your troubles. Check out this thread for more doggie input.

alvin70

Newly Enlightened
That's very nice, i luv dogs becoz they accept us for what we are, i personally have 2, a Beagle and a Jack Russell. Both are equally cute and adorable, :)

JLavino

Newly Enlightened
Chocolate Labs are an awesome breed of dog. Congrats on the new pup, and hooray for the Mrs. on bringing him home. :rock:

dragoman

Enlightened
Well got home and checked him out. 7 weeks old and so small......got a fat round belly though and loves to play.

Gotta say I like him..... :)

dragoman

dragoman

Enlightened
Alright got some pics of the little guy....

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01893.jpg

I think he's cute as a button......pretty playful too.

dragoman

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I laughed right out loud when I saw that cute little puppy. Totally coo. Be sure to watch the Dog Whisper show.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What an adorable bundle of fur! I giggled out loud when I saw him. It looks like he's already settling in!

:goodjob:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cute and adorable.

And since the (very nearly) same thing happened to me, I can tell you, your life is over. It will be >your< dog for sure, if not already.

And make everyone else in the house read the training book you use (HA! like that ever happened in my house).

Congrats -- you got a cutie.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Nice pup, congrats! He doesn't realize how lucky he actually is to be living in the US:

"Aug 1, 2006 - China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media Tuesday and an outcry from animal rights activists.

The five-day slaughter in Mouding county in Yunnan province in southwestern China ended Sunday and spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported.

Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then beat the animals to death, the reports said.

Owners were offered 63 cents per animal to kill their own dogs before the teams were sent in, they said."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14139027/

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
Lightmeup,

why did you have to go and crap all over a great feel good thread like this by posting that?

daniel
ps
dogs are good people. i love mine. congrats dragoman!

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Ouchfinger, I wasn't trying to crap on the thread. Take a couple zolofts and lithium tabs, you'll feel better.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Just for you Ouchy, here's something positive to get the thread back on track:

When Good Dogs Crossbreed:

Pointer + Setter =
Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet

Kerry Blue Terrier + Skye Terrier =
Blue Skye, a dog for visionaries

Great Pyrenees + Dachshund =
Pyradachs, a puzzling breed

Pekingnese + Lhasa Apso =
Peekasso, an abstract dog

Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel =
Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle

Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever =
Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists

Newfoundland + Basset Hound =
Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisors

Terrier + Bulldog =
Terribull, a dog prone to awful mistakes

Bloodhound + Labrador =
Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly

Malamute + Pointer =
Moot Point, owned by....oh, well, it doesn't matter anyway

Collie + Malamute =
Commute, a dog that travels to work

Deerhound + Terrier =
Derriere, a dog that's true to the end

Cocker Spaniel + Rottweiller =
Cockrot, the perfect puppy for that philandering ex-husband

Bull Terrier + Shitzu =
Bullshitz, a gregarious but unreliable breed

dragoman

Enlightened
Lol....thanks guys for the well wishes.

Update - Potty training for Conan :)D) goes well, he is starting to whine to go out now. Only during the day though, perhaps we don't hear him at night (He's not really a barker)

He loves to play tug-of-war, and wrestle, although whenever I get him down he just wants to give kisses intead of play. He also follows my 10mo old daughter around and plays with her. The other day he was entertaining her through the side of the playpen, she was laughing!!

All in all, seems like a great little guy, even if he is fat and loves to sleep!! I like him!

Will put some more pics up soon.

dragoman