True Mini LGI

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Just got this "NoviGear" light in the mail today, shown here with its elegant original packaging (there was some newspaper packed around it in the plain cardboard box but I had already thrown that out):

fce9e1b2.jpg

I bought it not for its stellar led output, but for its size. It has a cool little 3AAA triangular battery holder that will replicate the directdrive power source in the original LGI (3 x 1.5 = 4.5V) yet this light is only 4.5 inches long:

fce9e1af.jpg

Its size and shape remind me a little of a "personal vibrator" (or whatever you call'em), with the six leds packed perfectly concentrically in the head:

fce9e1b7.jpg

and the pushbutton switch integrated smoothly into the rounded shape of the tailcap:

fce9e1b4.jpg

So I stick three AAA batteries inside -- the carrier is a bit balky, loose contact somewhere as it can be turned on and off by just tapping the light, nothing a little solder won't fix -- and fire her up. I then stumble backward a few steps, awed by the sun-like output (hee hee):

fce9e1ab.jpg
fce9e1ac.jpg

and then set out to do a comparison test with a couple of other small lights I had laying around, in this case an Arc-SLS and a Pal Light:

fce9e1b9.jpg

Beamshots do not really tell the whole story though, as the NoviGear emits a broad and diffused light which was actually more useful than the Pal's:

fce9e1bb.jpg

The light meter told the rest of the story:

Arc-SLS: 242 lux

Pal Light: 112 lux

NoviGear: 39 lux

Now to take it apart and explore the insides of the head for heatsink real estate...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

Break the new ground and leave us a nicely marked path
grin.gif

Giv 'em Brah!

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Originally posted by McGizmo:
Charlie,

Break the new ground and leave us a nicely marked path
grin.gif

Giv 'em Brah!

- Don
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Duly noted Don, I shall commence with such undertaking the moment I finish up some mod committments, delayed unfortunately by the dastardly knee surgeons...(can you tell my meds have kicked in?)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

Watch those meds! We don't want to see a 5W SE in the tail cap switch!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

aloha

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not nice to tease us CPF'ers this way; posting the victim before the make over.

So, will this will be an LLGI (Little Long Gun Illuminator) or a MLGI (Mini Long Gun Illuminator)?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Actually, it might turn out to be an LLLGI (LAmbda little long gun illuminator) because it has become apparent from initial inspection that there will be some machinist-made parts necessary up front to replace the all-plastic ones between the batteries and the LEDs...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somehow I think that 2 CR123s and a small circuit for a 5 watt LS does fit inside....
grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Actually, it might turn out to be an LLLGI (LAmbda little long gun illuminator) because it has become apparent from initial inspection that there will be some machinist-made parts necessary up front to replace the all-plastic ones between the batteries and the LEDs...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And I was wondering what I was going to be doing this weekend..........

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
Man, I envy you guys, you guys always have something to do.....
tongue.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, come on over, I'll even let you run the lathe. And, stop by Charlie's and grab the little LGI on the way........
grin.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie, at your convenience: What is the ID of the battery tube and does it have any internal ribs or guides that position the battery holder? How long is that battery holder? Is the light aluminum as it appears in the photo? Is the front end containing the LEDs removable? Waterproof? What does this sell for? Thanks
EDIT. Someone posted a link that answered the price and aluminum question.
Originally posted by MR Bulk:

Its size and shape remind me a little of a "personal vibrator" (or whatever you call'em), with the six leds packed perfectly concentrically in the head:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It must be the meds; I count 7 LEDs
grin.gif

Banshee

Enlightened
Originally posted by James S:
shouldn't it be the SGI for short gun illuminator? Or the PI for Pistol Illuminator?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">or the SBI-silver bullet Illuminator...

maybe the NINAVIAF-I. NO It's not a vibrator, Its a flashlight-Illuminator

Roz

Newly Enlightened
Ugh. Did I just hear Mr. Bulk say Durian? As in the rotting flesh fruit? I can smell it all the way here in Detroit!