HDS are a UGLY flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
but i still want to buy one when i have some money. :broke:

still paying for my ARC4+, which is much more pretty.

why are their so many different models, It would have to be an ultimate model for me.

regards.

schrenz

Enlightened
What a title:sick2:

I love my two HDS, they are designed simple, but build like a tank and the most useful EDC I own (I say this, although I am mad after Surefires:naughty: )

So: Buy one!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if only it were as beautiful as it is functional but I'll live with its ulitarian charm for now. SureFires and other brands look more like tools or weapons but their excelent machining has a beauty that many of us appreciate.

Strictly for looks, the Inova and Fenix lines are of my favorites and a midnight blue Fire Fly III practicaly begs for a ride on my belt or pocket. All in all I rather like the wasp wasted HDS and the military-like HAIII. For me, the HDS could be just a little smaller with a durable but very dark red or blue finish.

Princeton Tec has some appealing designs for plastic lights and I like SF's G2 Nitrolon.

Illum

Flashaholic
i think ill wind up buying a mclux before I buy an HDS....
besides, mcluxes are soo much more beautiful...tritium or not

i have programing issues [I cant deal with a flashlight that has a bigher IQ than me, if i want two brightness levels, I want to have two switches on the light....]

ianb

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
if i want two brightness levels, I want to have two switches on the light....]
:D :D :D

I love my HDS, they really do look ugly when you attach an 18650 or 2 x CR123 body thought :eeew:, too many seams, I still bought one though :D

I probably use at least 3 of 4 levels regularly, I love the locator flash and auto off too, great as a night light(when you have locator off ;) difficult to sleep with the disco effect on the ceiling )

Ian

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think HDS should employ an Italian designer, I thought business was about making money.

I can`t see many ladies buying it.

suggestion 1: get rid of the grips on the head.

suggestion 2: only 2 models, basic and pro.

suggestion 3: a lighter colour.

any other suggestions welcome, your the buyers.

regards.

schrenz

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
I think HDS should employ an Italian designer, I thought business was about making money
I can`t see many ladies buying it

regards.
1.> Then it will look like the Alessi kitchen stuff:green: :green: :green:
2.> I bought one for my wife and she loves it!:santa:
The best results will you have with the "form follows function" way, all other design will more be like toys ;)

Last edited:

paxxus

Enlightened
Is a tank beautiful? No. Is it cool? Yes!

If you want a ladies light look elsewhere.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
wrt to Form Follows Function, it doesn't mean that you have to compromise on making it pretty, it just means you first focus on getting the functionality correct. Great form and great function do not need to be mutually exclusive.

HDS has a utilitarian design philosophy which has attracted many customers and is apparently making money from it. I may be wrong here but Tinderbox may be suggesting that HDS ask themselves, that given the great functionality that they already have, how can they now package this great functionality into a better looking package and still maintain the great customer base they already have while attracting new customers.

btw, I think the functionality of the HDS is great and it looks great.

And with the newer tailcap with the knurling and indent for the tail button for solid tail standing is a step forward to making it more functional and beautiful. And Arc style clip and titanium bezel rings are also nice.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the point? if Henry spent a bunch of time and money and making it look "nice", it will be more expensive, and within a month some off-shore manufacturer will rip off the design and flood CPF with imitations. It's what it is, and Henry never set out to make art-form, just functional art.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I like my HDS. My intent for purchasing this light was for the functionality and reliability and hence for this light I fell more naturally into the market HDS is currently designing their lights for.

I am happy with this light and I have no regrets for this purchase. However, if HDS decides to produce a nicer looking light, I would definitely be interested.:popcorn: .

I am somewhat interested in the next incarnations of the Arc lights though.

best regards.

Last edited:

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I don't have one, I really want one. They are great TOOLS, just like Spydercos... most people think they are ugly too... I don't think so. Who cares about looks, if it works, it works.

SCblur

Enlightened
To each his own I guess...

I am a minimalist when it comes to design. Personally I find the McLux lights too busy and cluttered looking, whereas I think the HDS looks fabulous. Nothing frivilous, nothing extraneous. He took the pieces he needed to make a light, and made it simple, clean and crisp. That's his philosophy, and he seems to sell lights okay. But he can't be all things to all people.

Status
Not open for further replies.