I Did It/ Purchased the L1T

joplin48

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I bit the dust or you could say my credit card picked up the tab.
A Fenix L1T is on it's way from Seriouslights in Saskatoon, Sask.

$58 total cost/No customs to hazzle with or problems in returning.

PS What type of battery should I buy.

Thanks
Greg joplin:sold:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Greg. Congrats on your new purchase. You will find that the only thing that gets lighter on this forum is your wallet :laughing:. I have used Energizer e2 lithium AA batteries with great success. They offer good runtime. Many also use Nickel Metal Hydride NIMH batteries. Many are available at 2600mah. Just be sure to get a good quality charger for them. Good luck on your new light!

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend buying a charger and some NiMh rechargables if this is going to be daily carry. Before I switched mine to run CR123's, I used Energizer 2500 mAh NiMh's and was very happy with them. If it's a light you don't use so much, use lithiums.

The regulation of the L1T is not really designed for good runtime on Alkalines, but they will work ok.

savumaki

Enlightened
I have run Lithium in both my Lop's since day one and they work very well.
I also have lots of NiMh which I have tried and they are OK.

yekim

Enlightened
I took the dive and bought an L2T and a m pretty happy with it, other than the strange compulsion i have now to buy even more lights.

Gary

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2T ans an L0P. I run both with Rayovac IC3's. I love the 15min charge, which means I can charge up right away and don't need an extra set of rechargable batteries.

I'll probably try Lithiums one of these days, though.

-Gary

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
You'll love the L1T, it's a great little light.

As for batteries, it's a matter of runtime/brightness/expense/convenience. The higher the battery voltage, the brighter the torch will be

NiCd -1.2V
NiMH - 1.25V
Alkaline - 1.5V
Lithium AA - 1.7V
Lithium AA - 3V (cut them out of a 3V CRV3 camera battery)
14500 LiIon - 3.7V (4-4.2V off charger)

At the moment I like the 3V lithium AA option, even though the batteries worked out at $9 each. The L1T is very bright, 2 stages work perfectly, and since I don't use the torch as my EDC, the lithium battery won't go flat while the torch is not being used (unlike NiMH).

If the light was my EDC I'd probably use either energiser 2500mAh NiMH, or take my chances with a 14500 LiIon.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd said:
You'll love the L1T, it's a great little light.

As for batteries, it's a matter of runtime/brightness/expense/convenience. The higher the battery voltage, the brighter the torch will be

NiCd -1.2V
NiMH - 1.25V
Alkaline - 1.5V
Lithium AA - 1.7V
Lithium AA - 3V (cut them out of a 3V CRV3 camera battery)
14500 LiIon - 3.7V (4-4.2V off charger)

At the moment I like the 3V lithium AA option, even though the batteries worked out at $9 each. The L1T is very bright, 2 stages work perfectly, and since I don't use the torch as my EDC, the lithium battery won't go flat while the torch is not being used (unlike NiMH).

If the light was my EDC I'd probably use either energiser 2500mAh NiMH, or take my chances with a 14500 LiIon.
gadgetnerd... Do you mean, if you open a CRV3 battery pack, there is two 3v Lithiums in there? If so, is the length the same as any primary AA?

[Edit] After looking at a picture of the CRV3 battery again, it looks like it contains two 1.5v batteries, right? (It's hard to tell the size) Then, you would use both of these to make 3v. How do the 2 together compare in size to a typical AA battery then? Obviously they're close, you're using them somehow.

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Lite_me said:
gadgetnerd... Do you mean, if you open a CRV3 battery pack, there is two 3v Lithiums in there? If so, is the length the same as any primary AA?

Lite_me, if you open up a CRV3 (I got a duracell one) it should contain 2 lithium batteries which are AA in size but 3V each (they're in parallel). They'll fit straight in the torch with no modifications required other than trimming off the metal tabs which joined them together.

It would be very cheeky to charge $18 for a battery which contained 2 x 1.5V batteries in series!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd said:
Lite_me, if you open up a CRV3 (I got a duracell one) it should contain 2 lithium batteries which are AA in size but 3V each (they're in parallel). They'll fit straight in the torch with no modifications required other than trimming off the metal tabs which joined them together.

It would be very cheeky to charge $18 for a battery which contained 2 x 1.5V batteries in series!
gadgetnerd... I picked up an energizer brand Lithium CRV3 here in the States and it was $9.83. So that makes it about $5 per battery once separated. That's not as bad so I thought I'd play with it some. Works a treat! Bright and 2 stage. Like you, I don't use that light much so it should be good on standby for a long time. Thanks for the tip!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite me...just a quick "FYI" as far as the CRV3 cells are concerned: Duracell Ultras use 2 3V lithium cells in parallel; Energizer brand uses 2 1.5V lithium cells in series. If I'm not mistaken, the Energizer CRV3's that are manufactured in China use 2 3V lithium cells in parallel, but those seem to be a little harder to find than the ones that use 2 1.5V lithium cells. Note: not ALL of the Energizer CRV3's manufactured in China use the 3V cells, and without taking them apart, I'm not sure how to tell the difference.

PJD

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD said:
Lite me...just a quick "FYI" as far as the CRV3 cells are concerned: Duracell Ultras use 2 3V lithium cells in parallel; Energizer brand uses 2 1.5V lithium cells in series. If I'm not mistaken, the Energizer CRV3's that are manufactured in China use 2 3V lithium cells in parallel, but those seem to be a little harder to find than the ones that use 2 1.5V lithium cells. Note: not ALL of the Energizer CRV3's manufactured in China use the 3V cells, and without taking them apart, I'm not sure how to tell the difference.

PJD
I see... good to know. Maybe I got lucky cause these China made Energizers were 2 3v 'rs. If I'da taken em apart only to find 2 1.5's, I would have been PO'd. They had both the Duracell Ultras and the e2 Energizers at the store. They were the same price. $9.83. I didn't see Lithium on the Duracell so I grabbed the Energizer.
Now, you'd have to believe, that if a package (battery pack) contained 2 1.5v cells rather than 2 3v, it would be cheaper. Otherwise, it would be a rip-off. You're only getting half the capacity. That (hopefully) would be a way to tell the difference. It says nothing on the (my)package concerning capacity, and I destroyed the battery pack skin without reading it. :ohgeez::goodjob: :stupid:

Pokerstud

Enlightened
In all of my AA, like my L1T and L1P, and in all of my AAA, like my LOP and E1, I use nothing but E2 Lithiums ( L91, L92 ) with great success. Enjoy your new light. Remember the L1T has a high and low beam. Twist the head a quarter turn for low beam.