What's your favorite 1xcr123 light?

vic303

Enlightened
Ok, am thinking of selling off my Big QIII and going to a single cell cr123 light. Something about all these 2-cell lights having battery issues....just spooks me.

I want to know your favorite 1xcr123 light (incan or LED). Why do you like it? How much does it cost? Where can you buy them? An SF L1 would be at the upper end of what I am wanting--I'd like 2 stage, but brighter output really. Run time is not so important but would like it to drain a cell completly. Also regulated would be good.

Thanks,
Vic

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
HDS EDC. You can grab a Basic 42 for US$90 at the moment, which is an absolute steal for a light of this calibre.

-Built like a tank
-4 Stage, click switch
-Perfect flat regulation
-Will drain cells

If that's too much torch for you then I agree with Torch_Boy too. The Fenix P1 is a tiny single stage twistie head light, well built, very bright, long runtime and well regulated. 1/2 the price of the HDS too!

I got both of these at lighthound.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have two single cell 123 lights. A Streamlight Twin Task 1L and a Dorcy Super 1W.

The Dorcy ain't bad by any stretch, but it just isn't what I need in an EDC.

I plan to get a P1 one of these days!!!

SCblur

Enlightened
without a doubt, an HDS for me. Perfect, I repeat, Perfect regulation. Very efficient use of the battery. 4 very useable levels. Super good deal at $90. I have the B42XRGT, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's my favorite light.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Granted it's my only 1x123 light, but the McLuxIII-PD: the flashaholic's flashlight (or maybe just this flashaholic's flashlight). It's built solid as can be, and is as bright as you'd ever really need, waterproof, super simple to use, 2 stage, efficient, cool looking, this, that, everything else.

Besides that, I agree with the above posts for HDS lights. Some of them are a little too complicated for my taste, but when (if?) the U85 ever comes out, I'll probably end up getting one.

john

robertrock

Newly Enlightened
So far,...for me, its the HDC. I have a B42XR and another on the way as a backup which I will store without a battery. Four usable levels, great clicky switch and very solid construction = a steal at $90

robert

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
I'll put in one more vote for HDS. Fantastic lights. Absolutely fantastic.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
+1 for the HDS! My B42XRGT is just awesome, especially considering the sale price. I popped for one of the 2x123 tubes and now happily run it on an AW protected 17670. Great workhorse light.

lightrod

Enlightened
Firefly-III. I believe they are $130. Very small/truly pocketable, quality look and feel, versatile beam with balanced throw and spill (plenty of both) and a very nice tint, and multi-level with two levels programmable and a "burst" setting that's an amazing 70 lumens (AFAIK the brightest single cell around).

NOT regulated but look at the runtime graphs in the review section. Very flat on all but burst on a RCR123 - in fact flat enough that you'd NEVER see a difference in actual use until the batteries are almost drained.

Doug (DSpeck) is unfortunately out of the current FF3 batch and is in the process of making another. Look in the mnfg's corner for more info.

jayb79

Newly Enlightened

Somy Nex

Enlightened
of the lights i own, probably either the FF3 or Chameleon. =) both are great for size, while the FF3 has the edge in UI versatility, and the Chameleon the edge in hardware versatility. :)

vic303

Enlightened
Ok, so far some good suggestions. The Fenix P1 looks interesting but too small. I already EDC a L1P and don't want it really much smaller than that. Larger is ok within reason.

HDS looks better, but is pricey, and the FF3 is moreso. Orb? I'm surprised at the lack of SF suggestions--nobody likes the E1L? I know I mentioned the L1 originally. I wonder if there are any decent mods under $100 in a 1cell form factor? Low-High-Burst modes maybe? Don't get me wrong--I'd love to afford an HDS or FF, but I have not got that kind of flash-cash.

Keep the ideas coming guys--If I can settle on what I want. I'll list my Big QIII to get some $$ freed up to help fund it.

-Vic

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were looking for a light to carry, single stage CR123 Or RCR123, would surely look at the Peak, CPF special and one is listed here
Link

I have one and it is a very well made, very bright light (not any way affliated with sale or owner, just an observation).

The aformentioned, FF3 would be an excellent multiple stage light. I own one and it is excellent in all ways.

The McLux PD is perhaps the standard that custom 2 stage lights are judged and can be ordered in the McGizmo forum thread.

McGizmo Aleph 2 w/CR123 is available here
Shoppe
My first custom was a HA Aleph 2, CR123 body, NG500 with tritium in two stage tail and it is an excellent tool and certainly great choice IMO!

I have not handled a M10 Pierce light, but based on reports, it would be an excellent EDC choice for the money; believe that they are on sale for $90.

If I was looking for a "Production" light, rather than a Custom, would definitely consider a "Peak" light, they are made in USA, have a good warranty and repair policy and are partial to CPF'ers.:)

Just my opinion, hope your search is fun and you get a new light!

jeffb

Last edited: