Are there any mods for a 3D Maglight?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, a cheap and extremely easy one is to use a 4 cell bulb and instead of using 3d's, just use a 1" pvc pipe and 4c's.

there of course better ones, but i am more of a led guy myself.

Entropy

Enlightened
I think the above is the only option if you're not looking into an LED conversion, which is $$$.

Inretech makes some impressive drop-in Luxeon LED conversions, but those cost serious cash - $90 for the 3-Luxeon dropin for the 3D.

Lambda might occasionally have a retrofit for your Mag available, but usually he only sells "premodded" lights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Use the 4C idea with the original 3 cell bulb. In certain instances it will be a better as well as brighter beam. If still a crooked off center beam some judicious use of pliers and such can be used to center the bulb. Do LOOK hard at the bulb first because I have seen bulbs with the filament WAY off center!!!

Oh, and to use 4Cs you need a piece of 1" PVC pipe just long enough not to rattle when the tail cap is tight.

Good luck!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
4c's on a 3d bulb will certainly make it brighter and whiter, but at the expense of shortened bulb-life. if this is an emergency light (god, i hope not
icon15.gif
, then this would certainly not be advisable)

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Instead of buying another flashlight $$$, is there any mods I can do to my Mag 3D? I would like to make it brighter and have a better beam (if thats how I say it around here)?

Thanks

Bill

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps someone has already posted on this, but I compared a 3 D-cell Maglite xenon bulb using 3 D cells with a 4-C cell configuration and a 3-D krypton bulb and the 4-C with a 3-D bulb was significantly brighter on my Sekonics light meter.

Thanks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Use a somewhat longer piece of 1" PVC and 5 C Cells. Play with the bulb to center the filament (even 90 degress of rotation of the bulb in the holder can make the difference!).

If I ever find M*gnum St*r Xenons in 4 5 or 6 cell versions I may change my mind....

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put 2 6AA battery holders wired up in parallel inside
Put 3 dat2zip's wizard inside
Put 3 5 watt LS inside

Done. Ops... didn't see the easy part.. but wiring of cos shouldn't be too hard. Arranging the collimators and the heatsinking would be an entirely different matter.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
A 3D torch should run a 1W Luxeon very nicely.
I've ben thinking of doing a 1W Luxeon mod on my Aluminium torch. Its pesently running a 2LED modded PR bulb base which gives me a very very long batery life and the torch is ridiculously cheap to run (approximately £2/year of heavy usage!)
To run a 5W Luxeon you need to either install battery cages or use one of the many inverters and booters, some of which are made by fellow torchaholics on this site, as mentionned previously.
The output of a 5W cyan Luxeon is absxolutely awsome compared to the output of all but the very largest halogen torches! I have an Elektrolumens converted 4D mag with a 5W luxeon...amazing bit of kit!

Entropy

Enlightened
I hope that McGizmo might make some of his 2x123 battery holders available for the McLux.

At $125-130 (Probably a bit less for DIY versions, since that's the preassembled price) it's more than I'd like to spend for a 1W, but I'd be willing to spend around that price for a good 5W.