Poor Fenix P1 performance?

void99

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I just received my brand new Fenix P1 and I had some really high expectations re: brightness vs physical size. However, it's not even brighter than my ARC-P AAA?!?! I've tried to replace the included battery, but with the same poor results.

My question is: Is this what I should expect from the P1 or did I just received a bad copy?

Last edited:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Greetings void99 and welcome to CPF!

Although I already knew the answer, I just lit up my Arc AAA-P and my P1 against a white wall. The P1 is waaaay brighter.

You may have already discovered this, but I have gotten myself upset about several of my new lights, trying to judge their brightness during daylight hours. I remember being all disappointed about my new U2 the day I received it. At night though, a totally different story! Not saying your P1 doesn't have a problem though.

If you compare the specs of these two "5-Star" lights at:www.flashlightreviews.com, the P1 should be roughly 4 times the output of the AAA-P.

Let us know how it goes,
Bill

void99

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome and the prompt reply!

It's actually dark here right now and the P1 still has a weak light. I guess the P1 should be bright enough to outperform the ARC w/o any doubt of mind(sight), right?

I would appreciate if someone could post a comparison-pic between the ARC's and P1's output, perhaps 1 m from a wall and another outside shot 10 m from a wall. That would really help me out before I contact the seller.

Cheers!

Last edited:

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
void99 said:
Hello!

I just received my brand new Fenix P1 and I had some really high expectations re: brighness vs physical size. However, it's not even brighter than my ARC-P AAA?!?! I've tried to replace the included battery, but with the same poor results.

My question is: Is this what I should expect from the P1 or did I just received a bad copy?

Welcome to CPF! But save yourself - it's too late for us :)

You got a lemon. The P1 should be a real dazzler. If you got it from Dave (4stevens), don't worry, he'll make things right.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I've found my fenix lights to be fairly dirty inside and had an L1P in particular that was a bad performer. A single 5mm LED was nearly as bright. I took the light apart as much as possible and cleaned everything then put it back together and it worked a treat my L1P was just as bright as everyone elses. I still was not happy with the contamination inside the light and by this time i had aquired a light meter and in the post was some Deoxit and Progold. I took some lux readings then stripped the light down again and used the Deoxit to remove any contaminants that were not visible to my eye and after another thorough clean and an application of the Progold to keep the contacts clean and in good condition i reassembled the light and I had managed to get a healthy 17% increase in brightness and now my little L1P was an over achiever. I can't remember the actual readings but i remember it was a 17% increase. My guess is that you've got some dirty contacts.

daywalker

Newly Enlightened
Hi void99,

i am knew here on the board too. I received the P1 from the fenix-store, that is 4sevens here on the board and it really blows a lot of my lights i had so far. If you purchased it there just contact him and he will take care of you.

Greetings

void99

Newly Enlightened
Case solved. Sent the damaged item back to the seller and received the replacement just today. I have now no doubts that P1 is one hell of a light-thrower! Almost as strong as the much bigger Inova T3.

Thanks for your help....

p1-IMG_6275.jpg

arc-p1-t3-IMG_6282.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
I heard one case that someone bought one with "dual output" where the light intensifies as you tighten the switch...:grin2:
i dunno cuz I havent yet to own a P1:ohgeez:

GrooveRite

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
I heard one case that someone bought one with "dual output" where the light intensifies as you tighten the switch...:grin2:
i dunno cuz I havent yet to own a P1:ohgeez:

Mine is like that aswell. Anyone else notice that with theirs?? Its not really dual output but rather gradually gets brighter as you tighten the head.