M2 repair and certification...

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

I recently picked up another M2. This one has a hairline crack in its lens. I was wondering if anyone here knows if when SF repairs it (I am planning on sending itin to them to be repaired), can I pay them a bit extra to have it "certified" to the 10M depth? - if it wasn't a certified light in the first place...

Thanks...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Call SureFire and ask.

AFAIK, the Pyrex Lenses of the Millennium Series can not be replaced. A new Bezel is required.

The call to SureFire is free!

Al

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
Just talked to a SF tech....said that for $10, they would get themselves wet and take it to the dive tank. But, he also said that in the several 1000 they have tested for certification, only a few (read 2-3) have ever leaked...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I had my non-certified M2 in a sink for 30min. No leaks.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
To clarify, the tech told me that they don't actually "do anything" to your light if you want it certified...they just take it to the pool and submerge it to the depth required for a specified amount of time and then if it doesn't leak, they say, "yep, it's certified." If it does leak, then they make mods to it...
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire Millenniums are designed to be waterproof. However, only the ones tested, and passed actually are waterproof, and then only in the condition that they were tested in.

It's my understanding that SureFire don't have a deep pool they test in, they use a machine to simulate the pressure of water depth. I suppose the rate at which the pressure is applied and released is important.

So if your M2-N takes a beating, if you fail to maintain it, if you subject it to steep thermal gradients, it may leak.

If SureFire lights are manufactured to the same specification as the samples tested, we can assume they will perform the same.

This is starting to be too much like my day-job so I'm gonna stop.

Al