L1/E1: Perhaps not a bright idea but simply elegant

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For those willing to back off from max brightness in favor of ultimate efficiency and simplicity, consider the L1 bezel on an E1(e):

L1-E1e.jpg

I will leave evaluation of this idea to those who are the experts at run time analysis and light output measurements. This combination will vary from one sample to the next to the level that there is variation in the Vf and luminous output among Luxeons. With the sample I tested, I got relative lux readings of:

L1 - high - 4810
L1 - low - 320

L1 - direct drive on E1e - 1900

These measurements were taken about 2' from target.

With both the NX05 and McFlood in the L1/E1, I found the light output to be very useful and you can't beat the E1 for pocket carry, IMHO.

Since I had a modified E1e bezel with red SE on the L1 body, why not put the L1 bezel on the E1e? Turn around is fair play?

I REALLY like the looks of the L1/E1e combo too!
grin.gif

Electrons to photons with no extra circuit overhead. I sure hope this isn't patent infringement on Mike's solder based technology.
smile.gif
icon15.gif

I placed this post in the Mod section but it hardly qualifies as a mod. ( I reckon the big footed guy will move it if he sees fit.
grin.gif
)

- Don

Brock

Flashaholic
Oh I will have to try that. I have been using the E1 with the KL1. I didn't think to pop the L1 head on it
smile.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. Didn't someone say that Surefire had plans to sell spare L1 heads with the different color LS so you could convert from white?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My UBH perked up at the mention of L1 bezels with differnt colored LS's.
wink.gif

bucken

Enlightened
VERY nice!
xyxthumbs.gif

I really like the look, but it just doesn't seem like enough light. I see some more mods, coming soon.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Evey Surefire's going plug and play these days.

Beware if using a red or orange or yellow, those with a low Vf are might not like being overdriven...

Then again, this is the mod forum, overdrive them!

Put 6V on the white and see what happens..

-YC

Brock

Flashaholic
I was thinking, "I wonder how bright that would be on a E2x?" I don't want to be the one to try it, with my luck it will go pop, although I think it would work.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brock,

Now you're getting into the area of direct drive that I prefer to stay away from.
grin.gif

If I am going to go over spec, I want some control
icon15.gif

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
As Elvis would say with curled lip, "Vernoss Don, Thank ya. Thank ya ver much."

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
charlie have one of these yet? hey charlie!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I already used up a big favor by getting Don to send me a McLux early. Now I gotta save up my 'Giz points for another favor.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Rothrandir:
charlie have one of these yet? hey charlie!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I already used up a big favor by getting Don to send me a McLux early. Now I gotta save up my 'Giz points for another favor.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">"Mr Bulk, if you`re after what I think you`re after," Carpe Diem said cryptically, "I hope Don will keep you second in line...because I`ve already made the same request!"

grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good Don,
icon14.gif
does this L1 bezel fit right onto a McLux? I'm guessing it would..

Sorry to sound stupid (I don't have any SF's), but I can't find any reference to a Surefire L1 or whether or not L1 bezels can be found...

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm... Any idea if SureFire will be selling the KL1 head by itself?
grin.gif

How does 1900 lux compare to something like a Inova X5t or maybe InRetech's 2AA drop-in?

Jon

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, did you try to put 3.7v Li-ion into e2e tube on direct drive L1, or regulated L1?

Now, I think I need a L1, 3.7v direct drive Q binned LS:)

Alan