I just picked up a "River Rock" 2AA LED torch from Target

Jasmes

Enlightened
It was only twenty bucks and looked like it was pretty solid, so I decided to take a risk and pick it up.

Construction wise, it seems pretty solid. I was suprised by how substantial the [well lubricated] O-ring around the tail cap was. Much better than the flimsy o-rings on the equally priced Inova Radiant AA. The body itself feels very solid, and I wouldn't hesitate to abuse it. I think the body is HA II, so we'll see how badly scuffed it gets after a few weeks I guess.

The beam is pretty awesome for twenty bucks. Think of it as an Inova X1 (the original, with the lense, not reflector) on steriods. Its using the Nichia Jupiter 1.5w LED into a big clear optical lense, and projects a super-tight super-clean spherical spot. Its very bright, but does suffer from ringing around the spot.

I'm going to bet a lot of people wouldn't like the beam, because it is so focused, but I appreciate a good spot, and certainly don't regret dropping the 20 bucks.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the same impression, but I don't think that stopped them from buying them by the armful when Target was selling them at 50% off at the beginning of the year. I even bought 3 of them, though they were all giveaways.

Jasmes said:
I'm going to bet a lot of people wouldn't like the beam, because it is so focused, but I appreciate a good spot, and certainly don't regret dropping the 20 bucks.

Jasmes

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I got the same impression, but I don't think that stopped them from buying them by the armful when Target was selling them at 50% off at the beginning of the year. I even bought 3 of them, though they were all giveaways.

Wish I could have gotten this at 10 bucks, but even at 20 its still pretty good value.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The people that I gave them to seemed to like the idea of the spot and since their general experience was pretty much limited to a 2D Eveready, they were quite impressed with the level of output as well. Besides, they were old folks, and the whiter light spectrum works a bit better for those of us that have a bit of grey on the roof. ;)

Jasmes said:
Wish I could have gotten this at 10 bucks, but even at 20 its still pretty good value.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like that light, I have one, and I got one for my father who likes it as well. I like to term it as an reverse "tactical" light. A pretty bright light but one with less signature and spill that will attract less attention to itself when used.

robertl999

Newly Enlightened
NIce, I just picked up 2 Osrams for 24.99 each via the factory. Shipped the same day, received it today.

These small lanterns are great!

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I bought one of these months ago ... one of my first LED lights. I like it ... but most have to know ahead of time that the beam is a tight, almost-zero-spill pattern. It can be quite annoying at close range ... especially when walking through the woods as things are either dark, or brightly lit up (almost nothing in between).

Still, it puts out a lot of light for its size and is a decent value at $20 ... and it (along with most other River Rock lights) is an absolute steal at 50% off.

The 2C version is about the same kind of light ... but with a longer run-time.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats not a bad buy for the River Rock 2AA LED,
I was very close to getting one of those but opted for the Fenix L2T

Bror Jace

Enlightened
there was a long thread about the River Rock lights on this forum a handful of months ago ... I believe it coincided with the 50% off sale this past spring.

Lots of discussion and pics ... including disassembly.

Maybe try searching using the word "River" (capitalized) to find that thread?

Maybe resurrect it if you have additional thoughts or questions. :)

WNG

Enlightened
They are well made. But the beam is either love it or leave it.
I like my 2C and 2AA versions, but they aren't the first lights I reach for.

I found mine to be quite useful in a darkened theater when the movie's already rolling. The lack of spill didn't inconvenient the other people as we negotiated the steps and found seats.

There is a non-projector lens version using the same/similar body with a 3W-'lux' emitter and traditional reflector. It's marketed under the Ultrafire label. It's slightly shorter due to using a tailcap clickie instead of side clickie.
Feedback has been good on this light.

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
WNG said:
There is a non-projector lens version using the same/similar body with a 3W-'lux' emitter and traditional reflector. It's marketed under the Ultrafire label. It's slightly shorter due to using a tailcap clickie instead of side clickie.

I have both the River Rock 2AA and the UltraFire WF601A. While there is no question that the two lights share a very similar appearance, I do not believe that they are two "versions" of the same light. The overall build quality of the River Rock is substantially better. It has much nicer threading, slicker anodizing and an added feeling of heft that leads me to suspect that it may have greater wall thickness. I love them both but the UltraFire sees more use due to it's more traditional beam pattern.

KnOeFz

Enlightened
How do those 2 lights compare in brightness? The RR is rated 1.5 W and the UF at 3 W. Is there a clear difference in brightness besides the beam pattern or does that make them hard to compare? I have a Auora 2AA (=RR 2AA) myself and have been looking at the Ultrafire as well but haven't bought it yet.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I recently picked up a 2AAA LED light from the same company. (I wanted a smaller, back-up light to the ones I usually carry). The pocket-carry clip on it was what had me sold. One night at work, I tested it out against my Inova X5 and my Mini-mag that I converted with the Niteize LED upgrade kit...... And that little "River Rock" model blew them out of the water!
:wtf:

I couldn't believe it! How could a single LED, running on 2 AAA's, outperform a 3 LED and a 5 LED light, both running on more powerful batteries?! (Could the reflector on the "River Rock" be THAT good?! ...... Guess it must be)!

I paid $9.95 for that "back-up" light. (Also got it at Target). I highly recommend it!
:sold:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what version of the X5 you have, but I believe it is either not working right, or needs new batteries. I have both the X5 and the AAA RR and the RR is no where near as bright, I have had half a dozen of them and they are great little lights, but not as bright as the X5.

The RR AAA have all been about exactly the brightness and throw of my AAA Minimag upgraded with an MJLED.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lee1959 said:
Not sure what version of the X5 you have, but I believe it is either not working right, or needs new batteries. I have both the X5 and the AAA RR and the RR is no where near as bright....

The Inova X5 was purchased at the same Target store in upstate NY, only a few months before I got the "River Rock" model. (I go upstate sometimes to visit my best friend. The Target store inside the Gallaria mall is one of the better-stocked ones). I've never had a problem with my X5. It actually works well. (Wish it came with a pocket carry-clip though).

It just got outperformed, in terms of brightness and throw, by the "River Rock" light. Perhaps mine was a rare, extremely well-put-together fluke.....

It did bother me a bit that my "River Rock" was clam-shell packed so tightly that the batteries inside were deformed ever so slightly..... enough for them to not work. But I'm totally happy with it now. I'm thinking it would make a great combo when I pair it up with the New Streamlight TL-2 LED model I just recently bought...... But for awhile, that little light was the most powerful LED I had in my modest collection. :)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just got outperformed, in terms of brightness and throw, by the "River Rock" light. Perhaps mine was a rare, extremely well-put-together fluke.....

Keep that little RR, becaues it is a true fluke. Checking Flashlight reviews shows that my initial thoughts were correct, they have no where near the output or throw of the Inova X5. :) you got lucky. My wife uses one for a backup too and is completley happy with it, it is a great little light.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Monocrom said:
I couldn't believe it! How could a single LED, running on 2 AAA's, outperform a 3 LED and a 5 LED light, both running on more powerful batteries?! (Could the reflector on the "River Rock" be THAT good?! ...... Guess it must be)!
You can't compare the 2 (or 3).

The Nichia LED in the River Rock is a higher quality LED than the ones in the 3 or 5 LED lights.

Torque1st

Enlightened
I picked up one of the RR 1.5W AA units for $15. I liked it so well I picked up another one on sale for $10. They are small enuf to carry 24-7. I LIKE the spot beam for use outside. It is the only LED light that I have that has enuf throw to see at a distance and find my way around in the dark outside. The diffused "soft glow" triple LED units (Maglite conversions and clip on hands free lights) work fine for walking down a well marked trail but they are worthless for anything at a distance. The RR spot beam is great for looking into dark spots down inside a vehicle engine etc in daylight. The RR beam can be diffused or "subdued" by covering the end with my hand and letting a sliver of light pass thru my fingers.

I have had both units for a while now and they have stood up to daily use well. One unit has seen service strapped to my wrist in a cave where the only bad result was a scratch on the lens from a rock and being covered with thick mud. The bodies are strong and the anodizing is showing no wear except where they have been struck against hard steel, rocks, or concrete.

As far as run time, -the light held up well thru 6 hours of almost constant use in the cave. I replaced the batteries afterward. I did notice some diminished light output towards the end of the trip but how much was due to the battery drain and how much was due to the coating of mud on the lens I don't know. Normally I replace the batteries every 3-4 months just to keep fresh batteries in the units. The used batteries get "recycled" into other less critical things like my cordless mouse, 3-LED conversion Maglite, and remote controls.:)