Complex lights

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember the days of ON-OFF-repeat? Now there are lights that need a user interface. At the simple end, we have lights like the SLPPL, and at the complex end, we have HDS's line of EDC U models.

What are your opinions on the what, where, when, why, how, etc. of flashlight complexity?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
...at the complex end, we have HDS's line of EDC U models...
The HDS interface is flexible. You can program the light for very simple operation if desired.

E.g, you can make it a simple on/off single level light by setting all the levels to the same brightness.

You can make it a two level light by enabling force primary, setting low and secondary both to, say, level 16 (.3 lumens) and setting primary and high to both to 1. That way there's only one command -- double click. That will toggle between the two brightness levels. If you accidentally triple click or double click/press, it doesn't matter. A double click still selects the other level. Most people can remember one additional command besides off/on -- that double click toggles the brightness.

Of course you have to know the UI to program it like that initially, but that's a one time thing.

All the other features such as SOS, strobe, etc. don't complicate the interface. A user could own the light and not even know those features were present.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
The HDS lights really aren't all that complex. They just offer a lot of choices and features that the average flashlight user doesn't expect.

Anyone familiar with a modern cell phone, mp3 player, or home theater receiver will quickly master an HDS after reading the instructions. Its beyond comprehension how some folks will take several pictures, video clips, and send and receive hundreds of text messages with their thumbs clicking those tiny little buttons on their camera phone, yet are completely befuddled by an HDS light.

IMHO, all flashlights should be simply off/on, or programmable like the HDS. Anything in between is unnecessary(well, there are an awful lot of fun lights to play with that use different methods of brightness control).

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer simple interfaces. On, off, maybe a momentary (like on the old classic flashlights) and that's about it. I'd prefer to carry a second simple light if I really needed 2 levels - which I usually don't.

I've dealt with lots of complex systems; but there was always a functional reason for the complexity - and therefore it was acceptable. Personally, I don't have a pressing need for any complexity in my flashlights (just speaking of myself) so I don't choose it.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me key questions are, is the interface: intrusive? reliable? easy to use? simplifiable for novice users?

In the case of HDS the interface is easy to use, and can be further simplified to a simple on/off light. The other features will still be available but only to those users who delve into that. Their presence does not complicate the light for less sophisticated users. The barrier between normal use and accessing the menu is high: 10 successive clicks in rapid succession. It's very unlikely novice users would accidentally stumble into it.

By contrast the Fire~FlyIII has similar capabilities but a more complex interface, because of the twist switch and interface design. It is very easy to get lost in the FF3 menu system accidentally. IOW the barrier between normal use and the menu system is low: one additional twist after max brightness and you're there. It's very easy for novice users to stumble into it and get confused. I love my FF3 but it's an example of a more intrusive interface than the HDS.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Complexity is a natural result of flexibilty.

One of the major boons of LED technology is flexibility. Be it from resistors or electronic controls, multiple levels of light is easily done with LEDs, whereas multi-output incandescents are impossible without cramming 2 bulbs in the same light (like a SF 10X or 9AN). Plus signal modes, strobes, etc. I personally see little point anymore in single-level LED lights; not when there's multi-level LED lights available instead.

savumaki

Enlightened
I have pretty simple needs;
a momentary shot of light fills the bill the majority of times. Two levels can be usefull but I can live w/o it. If I had to guesstimate the total % use time in any given day, it would start with a decimal point. And for this I need rocket science! I think not.
I can't even buy a light with 'momentary on' at a decent price. I am forced to use a switch which must be cycled thru for each momentary usage (wears out quicker that way).