LiteFlux LF1 vs JetBeam MKII

benp1

Newly Enlightened
Please could someone tell me what the differences are between these two? They have caught my eye (alongwith the HDS EDC series but they seem quite a bit more expensive)

Thanks, Ben

p.s. the only thing i do understand is very different is that the JetBeam can take CR123s which the LF1 can't

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big difference is the modes they have and how they switch between them.Jet MKII has an electronic (PWM)switch,turn it on at 65%,touch the button and you get 5%,another touch and 100%,another gives a strobe mode.
The Liteflux has 2 modes click it on then turn the tailcap between low and high.Each has its advantages,both are nice.I have the jet and using a 14500 lion battery it is as bright as any single cell light I have seen.It also has one of the whites tint I have used.It can run on any AA battery.
Lite flux comes with a 2aa battery extender and will give longer runtimes..Personally id rather carry an extra battery for more Runtime vs a longer light.

benp1

Newly Enlightened
I just wrote out a reply and hit submit, only to lose it cos the server was busy - how annoying!

Anyway...

the battery thing doesn't really bother me that much. I'd use it as a 1AA most of time, the extra tube is a bonus

Cost is quite a big one. The MKII is quite expensive in comparison, particularly when you factor in the cost of the CR123 tube, which is what interests me most

I know the MKII is a 3 stage (plus strobing) and the LF1 is 2 stage, but I remember reading there isn't the noticeable a difference between the 65% mode and the 100% mode, is that true? the other thing i've read is that on low the PWM is noticeable, say when reading, how is it on the MKII?

The other thing for me is the switch. I like the sound of a manual switch, and not having to click many time to get to the right set up, I have a couple of torches where you have to do that. Incidentally, how do you turn off the MKII? Has it ever, or could it ever come on by accident, that is another big factor, i don't really want it on in my pocket. I understand the LF1 switch has a long throw so won't come on by accident

I also really like the candle mode on the LF1, that's a big plus

One of the things I don't like about the MKII is all the unhappy people wrt to the tubes and extensions etc. I want the CR123 tube but don't know how much its going to be. I would really like to buy something thats ready. I do really like it though so I'm just trying to decide between them, it seems they are both quite a bit better than a Fenix L1T

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
hi benp1,

i do not have the jetbeam MKII. only the MKI. i have read that the CR123 tube for the MKII has benn cancelled and replaced with a CR123 tube with clickie (true or reversed? don't know). so may be higher cost to get CR123 tube?

anyway, it mostly depends whether you want the LF1's true momentary clickie, candle mode, simple 2 stage twist tail cap and the infamous constant low with momentary high mode.

it is true, the LF1's clickie has a long travel and it is not easy to accidentally turn on the LF1. but my jetbeam MKI is also not easy to turn on. in fact there were common complaints that the reversed clickie is too stiff and difficult to turn on! don't know if it is still the same with jetbeam MKII.

the jetbeam cost $85.00 shipped with the 2AA tube, while LiteFlux LF1 is only $54.95 shipped.

you pay extra $30 for the following

natural HAIII
Glow tail button and bezel o ring. not really noticeable
3 stage output.
strobe. annoying if you do not need it
optional CR123 tube at extra cost
empty slots for DIY glow powder or tritium vials
14500 high overdrive current at 100% output. 1.3 - 1.5A
aluminium reflector.

or you could save the $30 and get the following

black fine sandblasted HA III
true clickie with long travel to avoid accidental activation
simple 2 stage with no flickering on low
constant low with momentary high mode
2 stage electric candle mode
2AA tube guarantee to work
mod/upgrade friendly capability. every part can be disassemble easily for maintainance.
longer runtime when running on unprotected 14500. approx. 40 minutes

difficult choice? definitely! just get them both! :laughing:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not noticed the strobing while reading.It can only be noticed by me when you shine it at the wall and wave it really fast!The difference up close between65 and 100% isnt really visable.Where its noticible is at a distance,looking out in the backyard etc.Up close its just way to bright on the eyes,thats what low is for.
For me the 123 is not an issue ,its only slightly shorter,its still a clicky ,the lenght of a AA fits my hand a bit better,that what interested me in the 14500 cell.It has never come on by accident,I dont think it will it take a good press to activate it.To turn off at any mode just depress the switch .Also if you turn it on/off quick it will come on in the next mode.Somewhat useful.
I really like it as far as tint and brightness the only thing that can run head to head with it is my Lion cub.It has the whitest beam I can imagine.Ive read it make HDS look yellow.Im not sure about that, but it is white. I ordered it (Jet) just before the lightflux was announced,I still give it considerable thought due to the lower price.I am very glad i got the jet ,I really like it.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led Cool,
Can you post a beamshot comparison between jet and litflux on 14500?Id love to see some real world shots.I still would like to try Light flux too. Looks like a great light. Is a 14500 overdiving the lightflux?

LED Cool

Enlightened
hi Paul6ppca,

sorry i do not have a digital camera. when both lights are running on 14500, jetbeam MKI is much brighter than LF1 because it is very much overdriven.

jetbeam MKI runtime on 14500 is only about 15 minutes compare to LF1's 40 minutes. and jetbeam MKI spill beam diameter is noticeably smaller than LF1's

14500 current drawn is 1.5A for the jetbeam MKI & 0.75A for the LF1.

also the tint on the jetbeam MKI looks whiter than the LF1.

hope this helps.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Cool said:
also the tint on the jetbeam MKI looks whiter than the LF1.

The tint on my LF1 looks whiter than my JetBeam MKI when compared directly to each other. If using each alone, they each look incredibly white.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite happy with the LF1. It is simple, bright, white, and versatile. It's a great light for the money.

benp1

Newly Enlightened
Oh dear. I've also been looking at the HDS EDC B42. I know its a completely different light, but it fulfils my needs to. Small, multi level, tough and reliable. A workhorse.

Now I really don't know. Money is the big thing, but I know if I try and stay cheap, I'll end up with the cheap one and then buy the expensive one and it would've cost me more

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Hmmm..........

slav_2000

Newly Enlightened
Today my MKIIx received. All's ok, except:

I have found one scratch and little dent on tailcap. What do you think about it? Do I need ask seller to correct this situation? And what will be expected result?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
slav_2000 said:
Today my MKIIx received. All's ok, except:

I have found one scratch and little dent on tailcap. What do you think about it? Do I need ask seller to correct this situation? And what will be expected result?

How bad is it? Would it be worth it to you send it back and pay shipping and wait for however long it takes to get one back that still may not be "perfect"? If the light works and these imperfections are minimal, then I'd just live with it, unless you were going to use it as a shelf queen. I use my lights and a little scratch here or there is no big deal to me, since I'll just be adding my own "character" (read scratches and dents) to them anyway.

Just my .02!

vortechs

Enlightened
LED Cool said:
the jetbeam cost $85.00 shipped with the 2AA tube, while LiteFlux LF1 is only $54.95 shipped.

you pay extra $30 for the following

natural HAIII
Glow tail button and bezel o ring. not really noticeable
3 stage output.
strobe. annoying if you do not need it
optional CR123 tube at extra cost
empty slots for DIY glow powder or tritium vials
14500 high overdrive current at 100% output. 1.3 - 1.5A
aluminium reflector.

or you could save the $30 and get the following

black fine sandblasted HA III
true clickie with long travel to avoid accidental activation
simple 2 stage with no flickering on low
constant low with momentary high mode
2 stage electric candle mode
2AA tube guarantee to work
mod/upgrade friendly capability. every part can be disassemble easily for maintainance.
longer runtime when running on unprotected 14500. approx. 40 minutes

difficult choice? definitely! just get them both! :laughing:

LED Cool did an excellent job of comparing the benefits of these two great lights. I have a couple of small items to add:

The JetBeam has springs at each end of the battery compartment, which allows it to use an AAA cell instead of an AA cell if you are ever in a situation where you don't have a spare AA cell.

The JetBeam holster is designed to hold the light with the 1xAA body, it is too short to hold the light in the 2xAA configuration.

The LiteFlux LF1 has an optional Big Head and screw-on Diffuser accessory kit available. The LF1 also has an optional aluminum flood reflector. LiteFlux seems to be more active in developing accessories for their lights.

The LF1 holster is designed to hold the light in either the 1xAA or 2xAA configuration.

The LF1 requires a minor mod to use a protected 14500 cell (the mod is available from LED Cool with the LF1).

Also, the LiteFlux LF1 is available from LED Cool with an "LED tweezer" to help with modding. LED Cool has been doing a very good job of supporting the LF1 here on CPF and making sure that any new accessories are available. This type of support can be quite useful, since you don't need to spend as much time searching CPF for info and mods.

I have both the Jet-I and the LF1. For me, the biggest factor if I needed to decide between the two is that the LF1 is much easier to modify when new LED's become available.

slav_2000

Newly Enlightened
srvctec said:
How bad is it? Would it be worth it to you send it back and pay shipping and wait for however long it takes to get one back that still may not be "perfect"? If the light works and these imperfections are minimal, then I'd just live with it, unless you were going to use it as a shelf queen. I use my lights and a little scratch here or there is no big deal to me, since I'll just be adding my own "character" (read scratches and dents) to them anyway.

Just my .02!

Great words! :)