need to know how to remove batteries that are stuck in flashlight?

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
I need to know how to remove batteries that are stuck in flashlight?

It is just a aaa minimag, but it was my late father's & I don't want to junk it.

I assume the batteries leaked, any ideas?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you know how to properly put back the lamp assembly, take out the lamp assembly, as in the bi-pin lamp and the black holder, and try pushing from that end with a solid object like a pencil or something. I suggest cleaning out the inside with something when you're done. Ive never experienced an alkaline leak before so I dont know how to deal with it, but Im sure that the material that comes out of a battery is never a good thing.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
You should be able to get the 'Do Not Remove' tab off so you can push the lamp assembly down, hopefully dislodging the batteries. Don't worry, it'd be easy to get a new lamp body even if it does break, and some cleaning should take care of the light body once you're done.

And ask around about LED mods for it once you're done, you won't regret it.

dyyys1

Enlightened
I had a AA minimag that leaked. The acid was so strong that it literally fused the threads together so I couldn't take the tailcap off and the little bit of acid that initially made it out of the flashlight body ate away a large section of metal. I hate to break it to you, but unless you are very lucky you may never be able to restore this light. I'm sorry. Even if you can't use it, you can still keep it around for sentimental reasons.

Illum

Flashaholic
if the battery had expanded because of a short, toss the light in a freezer and see if that helps...

I've heard of people drilling their batteries out, but i'd say good luck....

dyyys1 said:
I had a AA minimag that leaked. The acid was so strong that it literally fused the threads together so I couldn't take the tailcap off and the little bit of acid that initially made it out of the flashlight body ate away a large section of metal. I hate to break it to you, but unless you are very lucky you may never be able to restore this light. I'm sorry. Even if you can't use it, you can still keep it around for sentimental reasons.

actually the acids of alkalines are pretty weak. the reason why your tailcap was fused is due to crystallization of the maganese dioxide....it comes out of the paste as sem-liquid, once it touches air it begins to rystallize, liquid acid flowed down the threads then crystllized would make the joint tighter.

sentimental reasonsor simply...using it as a golfball peg

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I had a couple alkaline AAs that leaked in one MM AA and then I carelessly put them in a second one then both lights didn't work.

But I was able to get the batteries out and clean the inside of the barrel .... especially where the end-cap contacts the barrel. I start with pieces of cloth, then use a household cleaner then finish with WD-40.

Both lights were fine.

There are a few threads here on this subject ... maybe search for the word "stuck"

sleidig1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

I was keeping mainly because he had his name engraved on the body.

Thanks again.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I like too many Gizmo's idea. thats probably the thing I'd try first, before removing a "do not remove" something or other...

good luck

Illum

Flashaholic
TooManyGizmos said:
:grin2:

Try SuperGlue on the head of a nail - touch to batt. negative - pull out with pliers

.......... TMG:grin2:

never thought of that...
I dont have superglue handy...would gorrilla glue work as well?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sure any adhesive that has similar sticky strength as superglue would do the job. Never thought of that though.. hmmm.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I can't imagine that super glue or any adhesive will have the strength to resist the tugging and pulling on the nail that you will have to do.

For really stubborn batteries, I'd be tempted to use a drill and then use a long screw or a piece of threaded rod to pull the battery out.

The problem is that threading something into a small pilot hole will cause the battery to swell some and hinder your efforts at removing it.

Thankfully, Maglite products are rather robust and can take some rough treatment and still function afterwards. :)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be messy, but if you use a large diameter drill, then collapse the battery sides in, it may work.

Illum

Flashaholic
if glue cant take the tugging, whould taking a bit of solder...twist into a little donut, put on battery contact, heat the flat side of a nail with say a lighter and thrust it onto the battery before it cool work?

i dont know about alkalines but doing that to a lithium battery might just.... :poof:

dyyys1

Enlightened
Exactly how dangerous is the acid from one of these batteries? Obviously it's not something to play with, but if you get it on your hand, will it really hurt you even if you wash it off a few minutes later?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have used a slide hammer and big screw to pull the batteries.
i have also used a unibit and a long masonry bit to gut them and allow me to peel out the remains.
a wire brush like used to clean rifles but bigger chucked in a drill finishes the cleanout.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this happen in Mags over the last 20 years more than I care to remember. I usually just threw them away. The last time it happened, (about 4 years ago), it happened to my 20 year old 6XC Mag which for some reason is special to me. I tried everything including baking soda, WD40, slide hammer, anything you can name.

I finally just boxed the barrel up and sent it back to Mag. They removed the batteries and sent it back but included a long lecture on they WOULD NOT do it again and soundly thrashed me for sending it in without first contacting them. They said mine was the last one they would do. Future inquiries about leaky, stuck cells would have to be taken up with the cell manufacturer as they recommend, (as all light manufacturers do), to take out the batteries during non-use.

Alkaline cells are notorious leakers and any lights with them should be checked every 2 months or sooner.