LED Convert thanks to Fenix L2T

FatTony

Newly Enlightened
From the advice given on these forums I ordered a Fenix L2T as a replacement back up torch for my Maglite and it arrived yesterday so I took it underground for a few hours to test it out. My first impression of the light is simply wow! I've had limited experience with LED flashlights before and have always been put off by the blue'ish tint and lousy throw but this Fenix is very impressive. I also took my current favourite hand held which is my Princeton Tec Surge, obviously an unfair comparison for the L2T or at least so I thought. Yes the Surge has amazing throw and brightness, but the Fenix really was impressive too. The brightness may be less than the Surge but even with half the lumen rating it didn't by any means appear to be half as bright, and although the throw of the Fenix was slightly less I can honestly say Surge aside it put my other lights to shame.

After about 15 minutes I stopped using the Surge and switched to using the L2T for the next couple of hours. Most of the time I used the high setting because I wanted the extra throw, but in enclosed areas I found the low setting offered more comfort on the eyes, actually I really liked the ability to be able to adjust the brightness, its something I've never thought about before but in practice is very useful.

So not even 24 hours ownership and I feel like I'm an LED convert, I can see why so many people recommend these little torches. I have a question though, are there any brighter LED torches on the market with a little more throw than the Fenix? How does the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon compare to the L2T? It would be great to find something using LED's (and AA's) that would be a closer match to my Surge but it's important to have a good 3 – 5 hours usable light. Also is it worth buying a Millar Mods L2P or would there be very little performance difference compared to my L2T?

x2x3x2

Banned
I've had a few Fenixes, tho they may seem white good against a mag, Fenix lights seem to have slight yellow/green or blue/purple tints compared to a few other in the similar price range.

Would have recommended the Liteflux tho (www.liteflux.com) reasons being it has the normal clicky, whiter tint and candle mode with the head screwed off.

If u be looking for higher output led torch, might wana check out the FT01 by Huntlight (www.huntlight.net) too. Also have consistant white tints, FT01 can take rechargeable 18650 cells as well.

I used to like Fenix, but have grown tired (or picky) or their inconsistant tints in their lights.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello FatTony and welcome at CPF:)

So far I know, there will be no significant difference between the Millermods L2P and the stock L2T.

The only Led light I know with a high throw factor close to the PT Surge is the LedLogic Striker (except the Custom lights):

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlogic_strikervg.htm

To use with 2x123 cells or 2xAA.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

____
Tom