Advice about diesel VW's, please!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife's '95 Intrepid just ate it's transmission. Not quite worth fixing it, and she's wanted to buy a diesel car and run biodiesel like I do in my trucks for awhile, so it's new car time.

Are there any years or options we should stay away from? She wants to buy new, but if a good deal on a clean used one comes up she might settle for that. Any input will be appreciated!

:buddies:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...well...I remember reading recently (within the last 3 months or so) that VW has halted production of diesel vehicles due to a flaw in the engine design. I don't recall the details, but...I would stay away from ones from the last several years.

I will be away for a couple of days but will try to find the link and post it if I can locate it...

JM-99

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in seeing that link, JM. I thought that Volkswagen stopped diesel production to wait for ULSD to come into use, so that their diesel engines could meet emissions requirements for the required amount of time.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My former coworker just got a job working as a receptionist for a VW dealership. After a couple of weeks of working there, her advice was to never buy a VW. She says they all have a lot of problems, especially electrical. She did say the Pasat was ok, but that was it. I guess that aren't a lot of choices for small diesel cars, these days, though. (here, in the U.S.)

Last edited:

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I've got a 2005 VW Passat 2.0L TDI. I absolutely love it. The mileage is good, with a constant average between city driving and autobahn driving around 32-35 MPG. Even at the occasional 90-100 MPH autobahn driving, the miliage usually never dips below 32 MPG. There is a new premium diesel fuel available at some gas stations here in Germany, and I've been told it is very good. It lowers the emissions, increases fuel economy, reduces engine noise and increases performance. The cost is a bit higher, but I might try a tank or two to see how it compares. The Passat will run on biodiesel, but you have to check the percentage to make sure it is ok. The VW website or dealer should have all the information.

Diesel fuel in Europe is much cheaper than gasoline, but the opposite is true in the States. I'm not sure why, but diesel used to be cheaper, but now costs more that unleaded gasoline in the States. Hopefully, there will be an increased interest in diesel cars than can help lower the price of fuel, but somehow doubt it.

jayb79

Newly Enlightened
I have been driving VW diesels for a long time, my first was a used rabbit in the late 80s. I would look for one from between 98 and 03, they where the best on mileage. The newer style motor (refered to as PD) makes more power but at a cost of less mpg. I will say that if you have to take it to the dealer for service you will not be happy. VW service is among the worst. The TDIclub is your best place for info, it is a non comercial site with lots of info. I currently own 2 VWs a Y2K beetle that is averaging 52mpg on summer fuel and a 2005 Passat wagon that is at 38mpg.

VWTim

Enlightened
The previous itteration of TDI motor from the years mentioned above '98-03 was a solid motor. I know of several personally that I serviced with over 300K on them. The only thing to watch for if buying used is that the timing belt has been replaced, and the fuel filter has been done regularly. Also remember that Synthetic oil is required in these engines, so service costs will be a bit more.

cy

Flashaholic
alright! we have a experienced TDI mechanic on board...

TDI wagons are in high demand and prices reflect it!

VWTim said:
The previous itteration of TDI motor from the years mentioned above '98-03 was a solid motor. I know of several personally that I serviced with over 300K on them. The only thing to watch for if buying used is that the timing belt has been replaced, and the fuel filter has been done regularly. Also remember that Synthetic oil is required in these engines, so service costs will be a bit more.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone! My wife is on the phone right now making calls, we may go test drive something today. With her car out, she's driving one of my diesel trucks :eeksign: so this will be happening VERY fast!

Thanks again, all. :buddies:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lots of diesel experience - boats, trucks, cars, tractors. Own 3 now.

But I do play devil's advocate.

Do realistic clculations before you buy. The increased differential in fuel price (usually around .20 gallon but .50 per gallon locally now! -- and while the difference will probably normalize at .20 or so, it won't go away.), the generally shorter interval between oil changes (and usually a larger oil capacity therefore greater cost per change), the purchase price premium of a diesel vehicle over similar gas vehicle (Dodge trucks are $5,500). You'll probably find it will take like 300,000 or more miles of use before you start to realiza a diesel "profit".

Intangible negatives are the lesser availability of diesel fuel, noise and smoke (not so much on current vehciles) and the smell of the fuel on hands, clothes and shoes from fillups (not easily removed) (btw - the thin plastic produce bags from the grocery work well as makeshift "gloves" - carry a bunch in the trunk and throw them away when you're done).

Good, lowmilage diesel vehicles are hard to find. If you could find a well maintained low mileage MBZ 2.5Turbo, grab it. Honest 35mpg plus and a very nice ride.

All that being said, if you want a diesel then gitcha one.

Brock

Flashaholic
I would 3rd or is it 4th the 98-03 ALH TDI engines. The PD's from 04 to now do have more power and more importantly to fuel mileage increased emission controls which drop them to the low 40's for mpg. I have an 03 TDI wagon and we love it. Last tank was 62, so I can't complain. One of the kickers for higher mileage is to drive a manual, but even the autos get pretty good mileage. For mileage check out

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=147031

The oil change interval on the ALH engines is 10,000 miles and you do need 501 or better. Mobil Delvac is rated for this and runs about $5 a quart. Then again I use Delvac in our gasser as well.

If your handy and already have an understanding of a diesel engine I would say go for it.

Oh get the heated seats and ESP, worth every penny and if you every sell they will more then make up their cost in resale.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice! Just got back from a dealer. Wifey was going to test drive an '06, but the salesman's manner killed it for us and we just walked out.

BigIron- My wife and I both understand the trade-offs with a diesel. She wants one, so that's what she's going to get. She plans to burn nothing but biodiesel in it, too.

Brock- 62 mpg! SIXTY TWO MILES PER GALLON!!! Incredible! Hybrid what? My wife is reading these responses with me; we'll look for a clean '98-03. She'd prefer an auto and will accept the hit in mileage. I was a heavy diesel tech for several years, as well as building and maintaining my two diesel powered trucks. I buy Mobil Delvac 1 by the case and run it in everything that takes four stroke oil. Servicing won't be a problem. :)

Thanks again, all. :buddies:

Brock

Flashaholic
Not a hybrid, just a stock VW 03 TDI Jetta Wagon. I do tend to drive conservatively. I can say my worst mileage ever was 45.69 about half of that was pulling a 1200 lb trailer. Oh and going 600+ miles on a tank is quite common. I usually hit 500 miles at 1/2 tank and have gone over 1000 miles on two tanks now.

Essayons

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2000 Golf GLS TDI I bought new. It's got about 60,000 miles. I've had a couple minor problems (window clips and MAF) but they were quickly resolved by the dealer and I have no complaints. I'd recommend a TDI - particularly a German made rotary pump version - to anyone without hesitation.

With a bunch of performance modifications and a relatively heavy foot, I average 43 mpg commuting between Seattle and Bellevue, Washington - very often a stop-and-go commute. Show me another car that will do that, is fun to drive and will still go over Snoqualmie Pass with the cruise control set at 80 and I'll buy it.

My buddy puts a lot of highway miles on his performance-chipped TDI. He averages over 50 mpg.

I've also run some blend of biodiesel in my TDI for most of its 60,000+ miles.

That said, I'm not a big VW fan - just a direct-injected turbo-diesel fan. If Toyota or Honda made one, I'd be all over it.

The big negative of the TDIs is their current prices. I have a buddy who bought one a little over a year ago and traded it in for more than he paid!

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock said:
Not a hybrid, just a stock VW 03 TDI Jetta Wagon. I do tend to drive conservatively. I can say my worst mileage ever was 45.69 about half of that was pulling a 1200 lb trailer. Oh and going 600+ miles on a tank is quite common. I usually hit 500 miles at 1/2 tank and have gone over 1000 miles on two tanks now.

Sorry, my hybrid comment was poking fun at the hybrids; not asking if yours was. We have an appointment to test drive an '02 Jetta tomorrow; at a different dealership.

Essayons-
My wife does 95+ percent of her driving on the freeway during her commute to work. A TDI sounds perfect!

Thanks all! :buddies:

photovoltaic

Newly Enlightened
I own a 2004 Golf TDI. It is the newer Pump Deusse (sp?) motor. I've not had any problems with the car except for them having to replace a window switch and a speaker that had a short in it. Yeah, VW's have a bad rep for electrical problems. My wife had an 03 Passat and it had switches, heated seats, electrical stuff failing on it ALL the time. Thankfully, we leased that car and she drives a Toyota now. But...I like my Golf. I drive conservatively, with a 5 speed, and I get a consistent 60 miles to the gallon on the interstate and 45 mpg in the city. But that is driving conservatively. I've not heard about VW stopping their diesel engine production...it might be true...but I have a hard time believing it. VWs are really popular overseas in Europe and S. Africa. Most of those cars overseas are diesels. So VW makes a sizable number of diesels for the world's drivers outside the USA. I dunno, just a thought.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Test drove the '02 Jetta. It went well and the salesman was MUCH more professional, but now wifey definitely doesn't want a VW. We're going to see if we can find a diesel Mercedes to test drive and go from there.

This might be the perfect excuse to transplant a diesel engine into something. VW diesel powered Suzuki Samarai for instance.

Thanks everyone. My wife sends many thanks as well.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having owned a diesel dasher and family who has owned the diesel golfs 85 and 86 plus diesel rabbits we learned a few things.

They are/were cheap and do get good fuel economy. The bad part is gas or diesel vws need a bit more service in the front end area. Axles/cvc joints, clutches and that dreaded pushrod and clutch cable.

In the end we got at best 200k miles on a diesel engine and 300+ on the gas models.

Toyota, suzuki blows them out of the water for durability and lack of need for service, but neither offers a small diesel inthe US, but both get great fuel economy.

I too wouldnt mind a vw diesel cause you can modify it and use both diesel fuels, but for now will stick with a cheap gasser and see what comes up next.

FYI, this months dieselpower magazine has an article about a race team who use a stock diesel vw that gets 325hp out of it on veggie oil.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty of diesel mercedes cheap around on ebay and your local paper. Most are well cared for and 200 thousand miles is nothing in regards to the life of the car.

I may have a 240d for sale in a few months myself. Gets 30mpg, does at least 85mph and has plenty of cargo room.