NEW HD TV SETS TO USE LASERS !!

larry2

Newly Enlightened
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/b...f2d34532e989&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

this should help reduce laser costs ?

Mitsubishi Harnesses Colored Lasers to Produce New-Generation Lightweight HDTV
Mitsubishi is scheduled to announce this week that it has developed commercial television that uses colored lasers to display bright, deep images on large, thin, lightweight screens. The television sets, which Mitsubishi is calling the first of their kind, are expected to reach stores sometime late next year.

A design prototype of Mitsubishi's big-screen TV, to be shown Friday.
At the heart of the first generation of this new television is an existing rear-projection technology called digital light processing. With laser television, separate red, green and blue lasers are used in conjunction with an HDTV chip,

These solid-state lasers, he added, will greatly outlast lamps. As a light source, he said, they are practically "permanent," meaning that the lasers should last for the set's lifetime.

(article edited, to removed uneeded text, see link for full article)

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
larry2 ... please make youorself familiar with CPF rules about quoting external sources and adjust your post accordingly ... meaning reducing the quoted text and relying on the link for further info.
Or paraphrase it.
bernhard

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
do we need to wear eye protection to use these HDTVs?

Definitely. I recommend welding goggles or anything dark enough to actually keep out any of the content at all. ear plugs would be good too. I'm not terribly concerned with the delivery mechanism, the lasers will be safe as long as you dont project them directly into your eyes for extended periods of time, but I'm more concerned with the content that the lasers will be modulating. Once that gets into your brain it can cause otherwise complex and intelligent structures to turn to goo and run out your ears...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S said:
Definitely. I recommend welding goggles or anything dark enough to actually keep out any of the content at all. ear plugs would be good too. I'm not terribly concerned with the delivery mechanism, the lasers will be safe as long as you dont project them directly into your eyes for extended periods of time, but I'm more concerned with the content that the lasers will be modulating. Once that gets into your brain it can cause otherwise complex and intelligent structures to turn to goo and run out your ears...
ROFLOL!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how it works?

Perhaps it uses an acousto-optical scanning device to scan the image onto the screen. I can't think of anything else fast enough.

It should be quite safe unless you crack the thing open and shine the lasers into your eyes.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
The article says it's using a digital light processor to modulate the light (create the different colors). A similar technology to rear projection TV's currently available.

I'm not sure how the lasers would be scanned, though. Maybe you don't even need to scan them, just spread the light like a light bulb and modulate it with the DLPs. :candle:

ahecht

Newly Enlightened
The Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles (which is located directly outside my window as I type this and was close enough to hit with my 5mw greenie) is installing a similar laser video projection system in their planetarium as we speak.

From what I understand, it uses three DLP chips to project the red, green, and blue images. The lasers are not perfectly collimated, but is designed to be divergent enough to produce the desired image size. However, because the light is still coherent, no further lenses are required after the DLP chip, and the image is always in focus.

This is a real advantage for planetarium use, because they are projecting from the side of the theater, and therefore the surface is oddly shaped. However, with the laser system, the image is always in focus regardless of the distance (the only concern is alignment of the three colors, but that is adjusted in software). This same advantage makes it great for RP TV sets, since the image is projected onto the screen at a sharp angle in order to make the whole set thin.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
The problem is not only color alignment, but also image distortions from the odd angles the lasers are hitting the screens. That could also be corrected by hardware or software though, but will increase the complexity of the setup a little. Nevertheless, I feel the advantages are there for this technology to prosper.

And I trully hope it does, that'd mean cheap lasers for all of us :grin2:

Athoul

Enlightened
Hmm, does this mean that they have green semi-conductor lasers in those? Also thermal conditions greatly effect a lasers performance, I wonder how stable the image will be (without any flickering)?