Gladius for CHEAP

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's actually a bit nuts of a price. I wonder why they're ditching them. (smirk) Hopefully it's not 'cause the Gladius+ is soon to arrive since i just bit.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:

Looks like I got my Gladius a few weeks too early. Does anyone know if Strategos Int'l will do a retroactive price match of some sort? Is LAPG offering the latest version?

That is an amazing price. I can't believe I didn't catch it. I'll think of something, I guess. Man, oh man.

Hey, wait - maybe I need a spare! :grin2:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archangel said:
Were they changed somewhere along the line?

There were two issues I am aware of:

1) Some switches had an intermittent activation problem, where the light would stop working if the cap came loose. You could "reset" it by taking the cap off and replacing. This has been fixed, I believe.

2) If you drop the light with the cap locked out, and it landed square on the cap just right, the selector ring could come loose. The light still would function to some extent. Not sure if that has been fixed.

Scott

P.S. Oh yes, the black ones were changed from ceracoat to hard anodize. The green ones might be anodized now too.

petery83

Newly Enlightened
So tempting! I don't really have the need for a Gladius, but at this price...tough decision!

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
WOW.... I just ordered one..... 129.99 with a holster is an amazing deal!
I don't need one, but then again..... one can never have too many quality tools....

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize the change to HA had been made already. None of the sites i've seen offering it mention that. Can that version be bought only from Night-Ops?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, $120 for the grey. I think i would've gone for that one instead, though i did end up grabbing a 5.11 vest.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... I just test-ordered it to see if there were any extra charges, and there was about $10 each in tax and shipping (for my area), bringing the total to about $150. I also got $15 off the usual $30 for "A Law Enforcement Officer's Guide to: The Strategies of Low-Light Engagement" by Ken J. Good (good reading for an armchair commando! Whee!) when I ordered at Strategos, so if I had ordered that separately, it would have been an extra $15 plus shipping (for a sub-$150 order), let's say about $10. $25 ($15+$10) more than $150 is already $175. That's only $30 less than what I paid for the light and the book, and Strategos is just about as close to the source as can be.

And about the HA, I heard that all black lights with a serial over either 5000 or 10,000 are HA. Mine is over 17,000, so I'm not worried. My light has just started to wear a tiny bit on the edges, as is usual for HA. It doesn't "feel" like normal HA to me, though :shrug: . I don't know about the tailcap changes, but I haven't noticed any problems with my light as yet.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archangel said:
I didn't realize the change to HA had been made already. . . .

All the black ones after serial #6000 or so are hard anodized. Dunno about the green. They might still be ceramic.

My black Gladius that I bought quite a while ago has a serial number in the 14,000s.

Scott

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I can safely say that if someone offered a U2 for $130 total, preferably pre-owned (i.e. flashaholic guinea-pig-tested! :grin2: ) and in mint condition, I would throw my money at them so fast it would leave bruises! Even if it developed problems later on (a highly unlikely situation, especially with testing beforehand), $130-$150 would be so worth it for a U2.

So, if anyone sees a deal like THAT and remembers me, please let me know! :popcorn:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if Strategos does price checks. I was about to email them and find out yesterday when I was looking for the exact URL and price at LAPG, and that's when I found out about the tax, shipping, deals, etc., so I'm not too bothered by it anymore.

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
I was going to order the Logic Striker VG for $109.95 but now I may have to reconsider getting the Gladius at $129, (I also saw the green and tan versions for less than that on ebay, but I want black). They both look like great lights, and I'm looking for something with a lot of throw.

I too wonder if maybe they are unloading them because of something new and improved just around the corner.

Maybe I should go ahead with the Striker VG since I wanted something with a very narrow beam and no spill. What do you guys think?