Source for Carley 1499

Campbell

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bill--- I just checked the Carley site and didn't find the #1499. I'll shoot them an email on Mon. and see what happens. I'm looking for the bi-pin version.

Thanks again.......Wallace

hburner

Enlightened
Hey Campbell if you find out let me know too, I am also looking for the bipin version for the 2AA minimag mod, Thanks, hburner.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
They aren't listed on Carleys Website.

It's one of those, "you have to know about it" kind of deals.

They don't handle webmail very well most of the time either, unless something has changed. They seem to be an analog company in the age of digital!

Not very surprising, I guess, they make analog stuff (lamps and reflectors) instead of LED's and optics.

Calling just seems to work better. You have to order a minimum of $50, and if I remember right the 1499 is about $8-10 each.

Bill

hburner

Enlightened
I would be in for one or 2. I PMed Litho123 to see if he had any ideas or maybe even some left overs, if any luck their I will let you know.

sizzlechest

Enlightened
Slaro said:
Campbell, I'm in for a couple also for my minimag. Let me know if you are going to do a group buy. Thanks

I'd be in for a couple as well.......let me know if this moves forward.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
I'd be willing to setup a group buy. Let me know. I'd be glad to help out.

I'm interested. But, I thought that it has to be custom made with lower filament in order to achieve proper focus for MM.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
H22A said:
I'm interested. But, I thought that it has to be custom made with lower filament in order to achieve proper focus for MM.

No idea, the original poster didn't say anything about that.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this is a regular carley bulb or if in his thread he says that he requested things to be "modified", whether or not it's something carley does regularly? or if this is something custom made by Litho123. If it is custom, i'd probably have to ask him first as i dont want him to think that i'm copying or anything.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litho123 worked closely with Carley to completely re-design the 1499 to new specs.

This included lowering the filament height, changing the gas fill, and, for all I know, changing the composition of the filament. (Although the last I am unsure about.)

The stock 1499 works in the MiniMag with Auroralites reflector, however, you are at the VERY end of the threads to do this. I always put teflon tape on my threads to tighten them anyway, but the o-ring is right at the bottom of the head when fully focused.

Litho123's solution allows more of the threads to be engaged and is overall much more elegant. Unfortunately, I forgot to buy any when he had them for sale so I can't compare. As far as I know, I was the first to use this mod, since I had stock 1499's but not any of the Streamlight lamps that everyone else was using.

Bill

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
Litho123 worked closely with Carley to completely re-design the 1499 to new specs.

The stock 1499 works in the MiniMag with Auroralites reflector, however, you are at the VERY end of the threads to do this. I always put teflon tape on my threads to tighten them anyway, but the o-ring is right at the bottom of the head when fully focused.

The TL3 bulb faces nearly the same issue. I wonder if a small metal spacer between the lip of the tube and the ceramic scoket would help.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey, that's a great idea!

I can't be too thick or it would interfere with the cells and closure, but a thin washer might give you a millimeter or two and that would be enough!

Guess I'll be stopping at the hardware store on the way home!

Bill