My 9v 2 led homemade torch Mk1 & Mk2 £1.50 ($2.75)

Do you like this idea ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
9v 2 led torch £1.25 ($2.25)

Self explanatory really, as per photo's.

Two keychain light LEDs, 50p (or less) each. You get to keep the batteries. And keyring.

Old Duracell Copper top 9v PP3 battery, remove connectors, which in Duracell are in a nice little potable holder, approx 5mm deep, on reverse of connectors.

Solder (quickly) two leds together, (hint: pre-tin led and battery connector strips ) solder to reverse of PP3 connectors, observing polarity of course, then pot using quick setting epoxy resin (eg araldite) for mechanical stability, having tested circuit works.

And of course led alignment for beam required.

Use quick setting epoxy, it will still flow to provide smooth surface, and you will want to try out the torch as soon as possible.

My 30 minute setting epoxy took around 3 hours to set, due to quantity. (approx 25p cost of epoxy used)

Now to the interesting bit:

A nice bright output, equivalent to my 12 led Ghost 2, RT in excess of 30 hours ? using alkaline PP3.

Using an old used Carbon PP3, to date, 12 hours RT.

Initial current consumption is 80ma, so LEDs are overdriven a bit, but not excessively so, they give a nice white light, not blue.

Current drops to 50ma, or less, after a short period, running down to 18ma for some LEDs.

Output is more than adequate for indoors night-time wanderings.

And it stands on base !

You can also swivel leds using one connector, indoors, so you don't lose leds !

My PP3's (Procells) come with a small rubber isolation cap for the positive terminal, but I'd still be wary of shorting PP3 in pocket.

It also works on 6v 4AA battery box, with PP3 connectors, but quite dim, drawing 5ma. 4.8v too low.

Needless to say, the "torch" is not water proof in any way, and the PP3 terminals are still a little exposed.

Now for the annoying bit:

If I'd done this a year ago, I could have saved myself in excess of £200 on new torches !!!

Not strictly true, as the torches I have, have higher output, for outside use, or other facilities, such a different output settings, and on/off switches / twisties !

Hint, keep one used, fully drained, PP3, for connecting other upside down connector pot, for soldering purposes.

Kicking myself too for throwing away all those old Duracell smoke alarm batteries, with their nice little connector tops.

Still, a nice little project every few months as my PP3's are used up.

(Several smoke alarms, PIR alarm detectors, other 9v torches etc)

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 9v 2 led homemade torch £1.25 ($2.25) Mk1 & Mk2

Looks like it will run forever !

20 hours now on old part used, zinc carbon PP3 9v battery.

Current is down to 9ma, volts 6.72v under load.

Still very bright, cannot look directly at it. With true 16,000 mcd LEDs.

Nice spot from two leds.

Nice room illuminator, with side spill when vertical.

I added an extra layer of epoxy, to just above base of leds, initially built up with paper label wrapped around battery and leds head, as a former, then removed and wrapped with insulation tape for smooth surface, not too bad, but trimmed off surface layer with sharp craft knife for extra smooth finish.

I gather the keylight leds are rated at 16,000 mcd each, reading ebay spec.

Now dimmer than 12 led Ghost2.

Last edited:

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Re: 9v 2 led torch £1.25 ($2.25)>> my clone of Pak-lite

hmmm, i have a ton of 1/2 used PP3's, aswell as some nichia CS leds, so i might aswell give this a go. exellent idea with the holder!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

MikeHunt79 said:
hmmm, i have a ton of 1/2 used PP3's, aswell as some nichia CS leds, so i might aswell give this a go. exellent idea with the holder!

As I said, I found the Duracell Coppertops MN1604 PP3 connectors were in a 5mm deep inverted cup, perhaps others (alkalines) are similar.

Be nice to know which, if any, are.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Extra Modification.

I mixed in some Glow Paint with the second batch of epoxy.

Works a treat, especially after the LED's have been on for a while.

Stop Press:

Extra mods on the way, still low cost. Still VFM.

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened

This sounds like a great idea to recycle, and make into a useful backup long running light.:goodjob:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

WARNING

Duracell Coppertop Alkaline / Duracell Procell Alkaline 9v PP3 Batteries

WARNING

In removing the connector carrying cups from a couple of old 5v ish Duracells today, for some reason, after placing in bin, all battery parts, inc nearly dead AAAA's which comprise the 9v battery, one cell out of each EXPLODED. :poof: :poof: :poof:

Only a little explosion, just enough to startle me, but, as always, be very careful when messing about with batteries.

In future, I shall completely discharge Duracells before attempting to open PP3 casing.

Could have been a short when put in bin, could just have been release of constricting pressure within PP3 casing.

Last edited:

josean

Newly Enlightened

Try inserting a serial resistor.

If you put a serial resistor of about 120 - 150ohm, you will be near the 20mA typical current. You won't be overdriving the leds so much as you do right now, and runtime will be much longer.

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened

Great Post!

I've been giving it a lot of thought to do a project just like this....I think this will motivate me enough to give it a try.

I work in materials development, so I think I could score some out of date epoxy at work...free stuff is good!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

josean said:
Try inserting a serial resistor.

If you put a serial resistor of about 120 - 150ohm, you will be near the 20mA typical current. You won't be overdriving the leds so much as you do right now, and runtime will be much longer.

Note: it's TWO LEDs in series.

Although initial current is 80ma, it settles down to be a more normal 55ma.

40ma=67Ω resistor, by measurement.

I prefer the brightness to RT, 40+ hours more than enough.

So, no resistor.

However, watch out for next exciting development, prototype already done !

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's the Mk2 version

As you can see, it now has a switch fitted.

The main reason for this is to give it a very low level nightfinder mode.

There is a 150kΩ resistor (bleed resistor) fitted across the switch, so that a current of 0.04ma is just enough to give a glow in the dark facility.

You may notice blue at either end of the switch, under the epoxy, this is blue tack, to stop epoxy going into the switch mechanism, the first Mk2 prototype was very stiff to switch, for this very reason.

I did try 15,000 mcd (supposedly) LEDs, they were nowhere near as bright as the 16,000 mcd LEDs pulled from keychain lights, advertised as 16,000 mcds

I further refined the epoxy, by tilting the assembly slightly after the first layer, worked well.

When touch dry, wrapping the epoxy with smooth insulating tape gave a very smooth finish.

Difficult to see, but the LED's are isolated from the centre switch connector, they are insulated in finished version.

The LEDs are connected at one end only, the other end of the LEDs is connected to the negative battery connector.

So, +9v into centre connector (2) of switch.

150kΩ across (1) & (3) (Switch OFF=Night Glow)

LED1 +ve to (3) (Full power)

LED1 -ve to LED2 +ve (in series)

LED2 -ve to -9v. (OK, 0v to be pedantic)

I already have the parts on order for the Mk3 version....

Clue:

I shall be using 2AA and 4AA battery boxes with PP3 connectors for a more professional finish, and more solid connectors. Boxes cut down to size then epoxied of course. 9v and 6v versions, series / parallel LEDs with appropriate resistors.

This is purely a hobby mod, I will NOT be going into production with these.

Have fun this weekend, then post your photo's here !!

Last edited:

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
Re: My 9v 2 led homemade torch £1.25 ($2.25) Mk1 & Mk2

abvidledUK said:
I prefer the brightness to RT, 40+ hours more than enough.

So, no resistor.

Running these LEDs at 80mA will severely shorten their life. They won't blow suddenly like an incan, they'll get dimmer slowly and you won't even notice they're dimmer than they'd be with a resistor until you compare them to new ones.

You are shorting out the 9V battery through the LEDs.

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened

sorry to burst ppl's bubbles, but unfortunetly it has already been thought of and patented search yahoo shopping and ebay for pak-lite but adding in the glowing apoxy great idea.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened

Hey abvidledUK, lol :) nice thread man, how about switch "on" =2white leds, switch "off"=1flashing type(+resistored)red led ????
i reckon if you sink the flashing red led into the epoxy it may cause a pulsating glow ..wooOooh !!:)

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oracle said:
Running these LEDs at 80mA will severely shorten their life.
You are shorting out the 9V battery through the LEDs.
INITIAL 80ma

Actual for 16,000 mcd 56ma.

Actual for 15,000 mcd 18ma.

Don't forget, after 20 hours on old battery, down to 9ma, as per posts.

It's only what the Paklite basic does.

As for shorting out, not quite, as current is only up to 80ma, and the PP3's don't even get slightly warm.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

lightmeup81 said:
it has already been thought of and patented search yahoo shopping and ebay for pak-lite but adding in the glowing apoxy great idea.

My initial heading included "My PakLite Clone", as seen in later responses.

How can they patent 2 LEDs in series across 9v, for their basic model ?

I've modded the GID paint, to be just a spot around the base of the LEDs now.

Works fine in conjunction with "constant on glow" from LEDs.

Full power charges the GID.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
Hey abvidledUK, lol :) nice thread man, how about switch "on" =2white leds, switch "off"=1flashing type(+resistored)red led ????
i reckon if you sink the flashing red led into the epoxy it may cause a pulsating glow ..wooOooh !!:)

Go on then, you make one, and post photo's.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey abvidledUK,

Take no notice, I think its a cool build for £1.25 !

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.