How to get a stuck lens out?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was trying a different lens for my HDS EDC and while trying to fit the lens, it has become stuck. Not enough edge to get anything sufficient to pry it out unfortunately.

There is the obvious by drilling it out but I'd like to be able to remove the lens so that I can try fitting it again after reducing the diamater .1mm.

Some possibilities:
Can the HDS light engine be removed from the backside

I could try to drill a spanner type hole on each side of the lens and use the thin spanner tips to unscrew it. I suspect that taking a drill bit that close to the edge will likely result in damaging the adjacent treads though.

Other thoughts?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you tried running the light until it get`s hot as the aluminium might expand enough to get the lens out.

I found that i could not change the battery when my HDS was hot as I could not unscrew the battery compartment.

regards.

John.

MoonRise

Enlightened
Let's see if I have the scene right.

You have an HDS EDC, removed the existing bezel ring and the existing lens, and jammed a trial replacement lens in place, where it is now stuck in place?

The "light engine" on the HDS can not be easily removed from the backside (battery compartment side).

Did you try a suction cup on the lens? Or various levels of 'temporary' adhesives to attach a stick/rod to the lens to be able to pull the lens out? A dab of hot melt glue onto your stuck lens and then press a dowel/rod/stick of appropriate diameter into the adhesive, let cool, then pull the rod and lens out? Peel the hot melt off the lens and you're back in business, as long as your lens isn't damaged by the heat or glue itself.

How much time/money/effort do you have into your lens and would it be just cheaper/easier/faster to destructively remove the stuck lens than to go to fancy/costly/difficult removal methods?

Are you sure the lens is stuck because the diameter is too big, or maybe the lens got cocked as you put it temporarily into place and will free up if you use the bezel ring to put it fully into place and straighten it out?

What is the lens material and approximately how thick is it and how much diametral interference do you think you have? Look up the thermal expansion coefficient of your lens material and of aluminum and see how much of a temperature differential you would need to change your 'press-fit' into a clearance condition. If the temperature differential is in the realm of do-able, then I would say to chill the entire light (to make sure that the lens is as cold and as small as it can get) and then to rapidly heat the aluminum bezel of the light to expand it (heat rapidly to get the aluminum to expand before the lens starts to expand from the room and the warming aluminum as well).

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LE can be removed from the back side, but I don't think I would recommend it. If you have previously removed your LE, then it should unscrew easily enough, but if not you might damage it. The two holes on the LED side of the LE are deeper and better suited for use of snap-ring pliers. The holes on the positive terminal of the LE are shallow and not well suited for pliers, though it could be done.

What about a small suction cup on the lens?

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

The stock lens on my HDS measured out to 22.66mm. The replacement lenses on Flashlightlens list the replacement at 22.8mm. The lens I tried to install measured in at 22.92mm. Others have this lens and I'd not heard of fitting problems, it was relayed that a bit of pressure should be sufficient to get the lens in.

Well, it went in with minimal pressure to a certain point and it was deep enough that the lens sits flush with the head. The bezel threads aren't accessible so I couldn't try and screw the bezel down to seat it the rest of the way. :(

Given the choices, I think it is easier to destroy the lens to remove, rather than try and save $20. I'll drill holes first to try the snap ring pliers, failing that...

AW

Newly Enlightened
RA40,

Try tapping the bezel on a phone book or some rubber pad in different angles and directions will dislodge your stuck lens. Give it some patience and it will work.

AW

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW is correct and patience is the key. Since you're talking HA III here, try putting the head face down on a wood table and lightly tapping the back of the head with a hard plastic mallet or, a wooden stick. Rotate the head as you do this (between taps), stop once in a while to check, and the lens should come out.:)

Dave