LED Wall of Light

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an LED light that puts out a useful bright flood pattern, instead of a hotspot with dim sidespill. I've looked into a surefire U2, but its too expensive. How about one of the surefire L series(L2,L3,L4,L5)? another brand?

marxs

Enlightened
if its all flood your looking for, i recommend the L4. The L2 is also great but i find the length quite cumbersome. speaking off...does anyone have a comparison between the L4 and L2 outdoors?

mark

marxs

Enlightened
IIRC, you can use the sf F04 beamshaper on the gladius, fits nicely. not sure how the light output actually looks like, i havent seen pics of that, but i would guess it would be a nice flood beam.

mark

faucon

Enlightened
The L2 and L4 have very similar beam characteristics: a very bright flood of light excellent at short to medium ranges. The L2 has a very useful low level (I use it for reading, navigating while better preserving night vision, etc.) but is also an inch longer then the L4. I use and love both lights, and both can run on rechargeables although the L4 can use a 17670 which has a longer runtime than the L2-compatible 14670. If you need a high/low option, the L2 is great if you don't mind the extra length. If you only need a bright flood, the L4 should be perfect.

SCblur

Enlightened
another vote for L4 or L2. L4 if you want something compact. L2 if you want a two-stage light. Personally I like the L2 better, but the L4 is very popular w/ CPF'ers.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can go wrong with an L series light. I have an L2 and a L4 mounted
on a single cell vital gear body. Or you could use a 2 cell vg body as well. Or a reg
L4 body. I would also highly recommend a Fo4 beamshaper plus it will fit many other
light's and make them more like a flood beam. I haven't tried the Nuwai light yet so
I can't comment on it.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Had same dilemma just last night. Went with the L4. I actually returned my L1 and exchanged for an L4 (yes, after I touted the L1 so highly in another thread). Since I'd only had the L1 a few days, Sports Ware was good enough to let me upgrade to the L4. I was able to go into their dark, long stock room and try both the L2 and L4. L4 had much warmer white beam, but otherwise I could not distinguish it's throw or overall output from the L2 on high. The L2 is actually over 1.5" longer, and besides, they only had the display model L2, and it's tailcap looked grey compared with the OD of the rest of it's body.

Another consideration was the L2 is not as lego friendly, but I now have the E2E body that comes with the L4. Since I also have a KL1 head, I can use the KL1 head on the E2E body for long runtime, with alot of throw. Or, use my F04 diffuser, and on and on, and on.

So, unless you reeeaalllly need the low setting and it's worth less pocketability and less lego-ability, get the L4.

Later,
Jeff.

EV_007

Enlightened
L2 would be my vote. Two levels and rechargeable option make it a perfect light.

True, limited lego capability, but if you also get the A2, you can interchange the tailcaps.

A bit longer than I'd like, but not really a big deal considering the trade offs.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are interested in a custom/modded light, I HIGHLY recommend creating a Chrononster clone from MilkySpit: W-bin Lux V in a first-gen KL3 head with optics. This is by far the most usable light I have for night trekking/hiking. It puts out a wall/ram of light, ideal to walk by. It throws but not as far as my L5; rather, it puts out a smooth beam of light (no super-bright throw with dim spill here). Throw it on a 3-cell P or M-body Surefire and you are ready to have fun! Runtime on 2x17500 (from AW) is around an hour or so. Plus the tint is slightly warm, so color rendition outdoors is about the best of all my lights.

If you already have a 2-cell (buy a detonator from Lighthound.com) or 3-cell SF body then you could get a Chrononster for far less than a U2...

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Nuwai 5 watt LED.:goodjob: for the money it puts out an incredible bright flood!!

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
Where is the best place to get a surefire L4? I would also like some beamshots, preferably against a gladius or M6.

carrot

Flashaholic
My friends and I were walking around very late at night where it was very dark and we actually couldn't see much of anything. The L2 put out so much light that it almost felt like walking around in daylight (but not quite).

luigi

Enlightened
I recommend lighthound (www.lighthound.com) It is impossible to have a problem with those guys.
Please not it is a personal recommendation I have no afiliation with them.

The M6 is completely different, much powerful, incandescent etc.

Luigi

ADDICTED2LITE said:
Where is the best place to get a surefire L4? I would also like some beamshots, preferably against a gladius or M6.