How Long Until a Fenix AAA Multi-Stage?

scott

Enlightened
I'm loving my Fenix E1 more and more. So much so, that I'm tempted by both the LOP and EO. I don't think I will, though. (No promises)

Carrying (and paying for) all three lights, and I may as well carry (and pay for) a Proton. I EDC a AAA light because it goes unnoticed in my pocket, while making room for other things. Having a 2 or 3 stage AAA light would be ideal. Fenix can make a two stage AA light. How much more difficult to produce a AAA model? (This isn't rhetorical...I really don't know.) What's stopping them from producing a light that would entice almost all of us?

Scott

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had discussed this before as well and I can imagine it's only a matter of time before Fenix comes out with a two stage LOP. It's just speculation on my part and upon emailing 4sevens, he said he had no knowledge of such a change. Meanwhile I have a millermod Arc AAA and although a bit pricy compared to a Fenix light, it is an excellent keychain light. Low mode, not a bright as a hotspot as an ArcAAA but a much wider beam with a four hour runtime and high mode, the output is pretty similar to a LOP.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm half expecting one of these to be my next "must have" light from Fenix, at least I hope so. A two-stage E0 or E1 is what I'd especially like to see. Most of my needs roaming around the house could really be met by no more than a couple lumens. And the runtime would be crazy.

Geoff

atm

Enlightened
I have a MillerMods 3 stage L0P on my keyring and it's excellent. Given how good this is I'm sure it wouldn't be hard at all for Fenix to do a nice 2 stage. Hopefully it's not too far off.

Andrew

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Add me to the list of folks that would buy a multi-stage AAA light from Fenix. My L1P is still one of my favorite lights in my collection.

Martini

Enlightened
Given the excellent regulation of the E-series lights, the L0P is clearly in need of an upgrade. If they make it fully regulated and two-stage, they kill two birds with one stone. Maybe they could move up to an S-bin as well. You'd end up with something between the P1 (small and powerful), and the E1/E0 (long-running on common AAAs). Maybe 8 lumens on low (ARC-P on a fresh battery), 45 on high?

scott

Enlightened
As long as we're wishing, I hope they make it with a removable bezel for true candle mode.

Scott

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is only time until they do it, but it may be a long time yet. They may do several other lights first like a two stage P1, a P2, some more L1/2 series with K2 or other, a Lux V light... Then a E1P or some other name.

Fenix seems to have recognized the market for two-stage lights, like Surefire and Streamlight have. My question is, when will Pelican and especially Inova release some?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that would be nice. Just missed out on the 25% off MM L0P. A two stage AAA would be great. If the price was right.

Ken

amanichen

Enlightened
Martini said:
Given the excellent regulation of the E-series lights, the L0P is clearly in need of an upgrade. If they make it fully regulated and two-stage, they kill two birds with one stone. Maybe they could move up to an S-bin as well. You'd end up with something between the P1 (small and powerful), and the E1/E0 (long-running on common AAAs). Maybe 8 lumens on low (ARC-P on a fresh battery), 45 on high?
I'd kill for one of these, at the right price though. The MM L0P is nice but I can't justify paying $100 for an AAA keychain light. Maybe Fenix will produce something at a lower cost ~$40.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martini said:
...something between the P1 (small and powerful), and the E1/E0 (long-running on common AAAs). Maybe 8 lumens on low (ARC-P on a fresh battery), 45 on high?

More realistically 2 lumens low, 20 lumens high - using only a AAA...
At least this decade.

amanichen

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
At least this decade.
You mean 1.2 lumens for low and 13 lumens for high when we apply the typical fenix de-rating :naughty:

scott

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
At least this decade.

I'm not sure what 2 lumens looks like, but I'd like to be able to comfortably read. As for the high, I'm fine with the brightness of my E1 (claimed 12 lumens) or perhaps just a tad brighter. Ideally, a 3 stage, would be the ultimate in 1AAA lights for a long time to come.

One of my two or three favorite lights is the Photon Freedom. The very dim settings are all I need most of the time. If I need brighter, I have it. I can get enough light, without getting more than enough. More that enough is wasting the battery. Thanks to the design of the Freedom, I do not have to change the batteries very often.

Back to Fenix... If Fenix would produce a three stage 1AAA regulated light for $40 or under, practically all of us would buy one. It would be an EO, an E1 and an LOP all in one. The user decides how much light is enough---and how much is too much. If Fenix made a three stage light, who wouldn't love it? If MM can do it, Fenix can do it for a whole lot less. Please Fenix, give us this light.

Scott