FENIX FAILURE AT EMERGENCY SCENE?!??!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
I was at an accident scene today near a Zoo I am working at as a subcontractor. 19 year old kid screaming cussing and writhing in pain with back injuries and we had to restrain him and try to keep him calm, his shirt was balling up under his back and really bothering him. There was a medic there from the park, "What??!?! YOU DON'T HAVE A KNIFE?!?!? HERE!! I have yet to use my brand new KaBar Marine Corp Combat blade, first cuts were to get this guys shirt off.

Then, Does anyone have a flashlight? What?!?! YOU DON'T HAVE A FLASHLIGHT?!?! HERE!! I whip out my Fenix L2P He starts twisting the ends while I try to hold this guys shoulders down and calm him down, "no man you click the button on the end" "It's dead!! I grab it from him, click click click, still dead!!!! You all know the feeling I had! HERE!! out comes a SureFire from the security officer holding down his legs, "Carefull!" he say's "It's bright"

I am in horror that my Fenix has failed me, I've got a fresh charge here!!! As I hold the victim down with my forearm I twist the head back on tight, bingo! The medic had loosened the head so it would'nt work, I had to refrain from helping him check the guys pupils to show him my light was in propper working order. Yes I did inform him of what he had done, "Oh operator error" he says with a hint of shame.

He oughta be more ashamed that he didn't have a light and knife!!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... did that kid get gored of something? I hope he's okay.

Did you find out whats the problem with the L2P? If not I'd like to check it out.

:p

EDIT: oops, I thought you meant there was a problem with the light :eek:

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
I usually turn my lights on before handing them off to people. Its saves me trying to explain how to turn it on and saves them looking like an idiot.

clipse

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point 1: Great job Spacetroll.
buttrock.gif

Point 2: One light is none, two lights is one.
smile.gif

Point 3: My mum did the same thing whilst nosing at my U60GT...passed it back to me, unimpressed and telling me it didn't work, and when I took off her and clicked the tailcap...failure! "oh noes!" I cried...until I realised what she'd done (she is used to the twisty from the Inova X5 I gave her).

I hope this experience will lead you towards buying an Arc-P or Fenix E1 for neck wear...I'm never without my back-up lanyard light (Arc-P)!

CFU

BTW, Simple, yet effective solution from Clipse there...one we should all take on board!
thumbsup.gif

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you had what they needed, but...You carry a full sized 7" Kabar MkII, or FUK (Fighting Utility Knife)???? That is a lot of knife to carry, how do you carry it? Why something so big, I assume you are in an urban environment. Around here that would get you in some trouble if you concealed it, and stopped every other step at the least if out in the open. Usually only something you see in a rural setting. Not that I am against carrying a knife, I carry 3 daily (4 if you count my UPT), and some big ones out in the wilds.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
this happens to me all the time when I hand a flashlight to anyone, they always manage to try to turn it on in every way that the light does not turn on, get frustrated, hand it back... I too have gotten in the habbit of turning flashlights on before handing them to people.

victory

Enlightened
when i'm workng i'm carryig 2 knives, a rescue hook and scisors, and 2 flashlights

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
EXACTLY why I like my lights simple. HDS on lockout is gonna be a pain to operate under stress. Espcially if you're like me and isn't used to the timing on the newer ones

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
GarageBoy said:
EXACTLY why I like my lights simple. HDS on lockout is gonna be a pain to operate under stress. Espcially if you're like me and isn't used to the timing on the newer ones

Simple lights? A Fenix is as simple as it gets it has a single button on the back you press to turn it on and off.

I don't know about you guys but the title is pretty misleading, the Fenix didn't fail, the operator had a brainfart.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Depending on what light, and who I am handing it to, I usually always turn my light on before I hand it to someone. Then when there trying to figure out how to turn it off I have to tell them that I'll do it.

Were not talking about anything difficult mind you Streamlight Strion, Surefire L1, or even a mag with a kroll switch will confuse the hell out of people. I have stood and watched many people have a lot of trouble trying to turn my Strion off when there done with it.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
To you guys that are miffed at the title of the thread, the exclamation and question marks are to make it read as a "Tease" to lead you into the thread, it's called title creativity to entise the reader into the story. I am sorry if you were insulted.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 it's the short Kabar and I carry it on my belt fully exposed. As far as I know having it exposed is perfectly legal, there were several cops on scene today and I have been around cops before with the short and in the past when I had my large Tanto KaBar on my side.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think you're good if it's exposed. The legal no-no is concealment. I once met a guy who had a belt buckle with a tiny removable knife. He mentioned its extreme illegality very nonchalantly. :whistle:

I think you can even carry a sword or shotgun if it's easily visible.

I too would feel better if you fixed the title. When I'm on CPF, I value accuracy over marketing.

Check your local laws before you do anything with anything. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any particular law, but I don't condone breaking any.

BBL

Enlightened
Same thing could happen with the surefire E-series... slighty loosening the head causes it to loose contact.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
noone knows (even medium quality) lights,
but everyone like to turn the head for "turning then on".

--> handing over light (fenix or similar), noticeing confusion
"push the button on the back end!"
person twists head
"no, turn the head back, push the button on the back end!"
person "hmm?" turns head back. another "hmm?" turns head again.
"NO, You have to PUSH THE BUTTON ON THE BACK!"
person "hmmmmmmmm?"
"the button, ON THE BACK!"
thats, when the button usually comes to use.

Your comments on turning a light on be4 handing over are quite good, gotta change my habit.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
spacetroll said:
To you guys that are miffed at the title of the thread, the exclamation and question marks are to make it read as a "Tease" to lead you into the thread, it's called title creativity to entise the reader into the story. I am sorry if you were insulted.

CPF isn't a tabloid newspaper, we don't really need to be teased or enticed, well not by the title of threads at any rate.

I'm sure suggesting that it failed when it clearly didn't isn't doing anyone that sells fenixs any favours at all.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
spacetroll said:

i admit, your title did prompt me to look into this thread, and i read it and came out feeling cheated and lied to--which isn't really far from the truth.

the title is not just misleading, it is just plain wrong and opposite to what actually happened. your title suggests that fenix lights will fail in emergencies. in actuality, what happened was the operator who was unfamiliar with the light did not know how to turn the light on. so now it's not just false, but it's also damagingly false to fenix.

like it or not, there are some people who may take the title at face value and not bother to read the text. there are others yet who may be yet new and confused and not know what is going on. and there are yet others who are just as disingeneous and use it as false ammo.

if a creative title was what was aimed for, i'm sorry to say that this title falls far short and wide of that mark. i'm not insulted per se. my sense of honesty and integrity is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.