Surefire c3 beamshot

fire-stick

Enlightened
This was about 8 feet from the wall. The eniter hotspot of the beam looked to be about 2 feet wide.

AV mode set to f/8, ISO 100, the middle auto focus dot was used and it was held over the center of the beam.

The middle is still blown out. Maybe I'll do a couple more shots one with +2EV and one with -2EV..

c3jp9.jpg

NAW

Enlightened
Interesting beamshot...

Was that P90 or P91?

I have two P91 lamp assembles and one of them outs out a very nice even beam while the beam profile on the other one looks like an egg.

Timson

Enlightened
Completely normal beam in my experience,

The oval shape of the beam comes by virtue of the fact that the lamp filament is a horizontal bar.

If the filament was a perfect dot ....then you would have a perfectly round beam.
This trait will be less apparent in larger reflectors - ie Turbo-head.

Tim

fire-stick

Enlightened
Yea its a p90. I don't much care for the oval beam, but it has its benefits. Like for example, when I come in on my bike some nights I hold the oval sideways and it lights up the width of the yard and the driveway more so that a standard circle beam would. Also like if I use it when when I'm running from the rain (trying to stay dry LOL) I position the oval up and down so it covers more ground in front of me. Ohh, Another thing too, I've never did it but I'd imagine that if the beam "oval" was held up and down it would light up the shape of a human torso pretty well too.

How does the p91 have a more circle shape? Doesn't the p91 have a bar filament too?

NAW: Can you tell if the p91 has any egde over the p90 as far as throw goes?

Timson

Enlightened
fire-stick said:
Yea its a p90. I don't much care for the oval beam, but it has its benefits. Like for example, when I come in on my bike some nights I hold the oval sideways and it lights up the width of the yard and the driveway more so that a standard circle beam would. Also like if I use it when when I'm running from the rain (trying to stay dry LOL) I position the oval up and down so it covers more ground in front of me. Ohh, Another thing too, I've never did it but I'd imagine that if the beam "oval" was held up and down it would light up the shape of a human torso pretty well too.

How does the p91 have a more circle shape? Doesn't the p91 have a bar filament too?

As far as I am aware both P90 and P91 have filaments of similar dimensions and orientation.
You will get some degree of variation if Surefire has centred a lamp slightly off or if the height of the filament is different.

In theory the beam shape ought to be about the same for both lamps.

As far as throw is concerned...both lamps are working from what is effectively the same focal length reflector, so should throw about the same.
The P91 will be that much brighter at a given distance when compared to the P90 though.
By virtue of the extra lumen output you might perceive a little more throw but don't expect it to shine an extra 20 yards down the road.

Tim

NAW

Enlightened
fire-stick said:

I unfortunatley don't have a P90. I have 2 P91 lamp assemblies but no P90 lamp assemblies.

I'm sure they will outhrow the P90 lamp assemblies but not by much. The P91 do however put out a mean wall of light. They are fun to use especially when you have rechargeable batteries :huh:

*On a side note using rechargeable batteries I noticed they are brighter than primary batteries. Maybe its because rechargeable batteries draw 2.7A compared to 2.46A of primaries.

NAW

Enlightened
fire-stick said:
NAW: What are kind of rechargeables are you using

The type of rechargeable batteries I'm using for the 9P is 2 AW 17500 batteires. They are not good in my opinion b/c you have to double or triple click the tailcap for the P91 to light up. I think it will fire up the P90 in one click.

I was told that the PILA 150S batteries are much better and don't require double clicks. But there more expensive to get though.

EV_007

Enlightened
fire-stick said:
EV_007: Was that 0"6 sec @ f/5.6 ISO 50 on both pictures?

NAW: What are kind of rechargeables are you using?

Yup, both images were exposed at the same setting.

The hotspots were slightly overexposed to show overall beam profiles.

The P91 definitely puts out more light overall than the P90, however, I don't think it really throws any further.

Of course it does out-throw the L2.

P91_L2_beamshots.jpg

I call it my incan "wall of light" version of my L2 but with an oval profile - L2 has a perfictly round one. These two meet 99.99% of my lighting needs.

P91 with the A19 and 17670s is quite a combo with "guilt-free" lumens to boot. A bit on the longish side, but not totally unpocketable.

L2 running on 14670 also guilt free. :)

Last edited: