Wow! This FFIII is sweet.

lukus

Enlightened
I recently was lucky enough to snag a FireFly III on the B/S/T forum. I've had it a week now and I am totally blown away by this little light.

This is old news to those of you that own one, but it's still new to me. First off this thing is tiny. Barely bigger in diameter than the RCR123 battery it uses. I have an HDS U60 that's been my standard for small single cell lights. Looking at a picture of the two together to compare their sizes doesn't do the difference justice. It's easily pocketable, no more bulky than the remote keyfob for my truck.

The light is variable output, much like the HDS except it's a twisty instead of a clickie. I can't tell any difference between the high output of the FFIII and my HDS. The FFIII is a bit more of a flood than the HDS which I actually prefer. The beam is absolutely flawless, very smooth transition from the spot to the sidespill and no artifacts or rings. The tint is slightly warmer than the HDS. The HDS has a very white tint, it makes my Surefires all look warm too.

It's very easy to use and operate even one handed. I'm not the biggest fan of twistys, they tend to be a little stiff. This turns like silk, not loose feeling at all, just buttery smooth. No worries at all about it turning on in my pocket.

I really love this little light. Quality machine work more like a Swiss watch than a flashlight. Everyday carry for me! Get one when you can, they're worth every penny.

lightrod

Enlightened
Enjoy, lukus - something tells me you will for a long time! Your comments are spot on. After owning for many months now, somehow I keep finding mine back in my hand - for example 5 minutes ago this morning getting to the computer....

teststrips

Enlightened
now if only someone would sell them - I've heard talk about a 17650 (something like that) tube, which would get my attention, but I've never actually seen one offered. Seems to me like I should be able to go to some website and click - place in cart + then pay for it....

lukus

Enlightened
I'm also waiting on one in Ti, but I just couldn't take the wait any more. Besides, I'll have the HAIII aluminum for everyday wear and the Ti for formal occasions.:grin2:

Hey Matrixshaman, not exactly sure the diffs between FF and FFIII. I think knurling had different spacing. Here's a link that has some pics and more info.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109517

This light was worth my saved up pennies. No regrets.

Xygen

Enlightened
matrixshaman said:
Pictures?? Been out of the loop on FF awhile - is the FFIII same looking outside as FFII?
DSC06943_DxO_800_Crop.jpg

DSC06944_DxO_800.jpg

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I'm standing in the FFIII cue too. I still like the look oh the HA Ali aswell. Sweet little light. Does this have SOS and strobe aswell as multilevels?

Last edited:

Xygen

Enlightened
Concept said:
Does this have SOS and strobe aswell as multilevels?
Yes. It's got the FluPIC from goldserve.
3 Levels (Level 1 and 2 can be one of 20 levels, Level 3 is "Boost")
Adjustible strobe (4 - 15 Hz)
SOS
5 different UI's

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of my most awesome lights. I have 3 of them, not bragging, just saying I have to have 3 of something this great! I can't say enough good things about this light. lukus describes this light for what it really is....a work of art.

:rock:

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Agreed. This light stopped me buying lights....

Does anybody know if there is a FFIV in the works, and when it is expected to come out???????

Xygen

Enlightened
Fiddleback said:
Does anybody know if there is a FFIV in the works, and when it is expected to come out???????
AFAIK he's still busy building the second batch of FF3's.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fiddleback said:
Agreed. This light stopped me buying lights....

I don't know what else it could do except maybe dance for you! :laughing:

maybe with a Cree LED would be cool.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone help me with info on this older thread...
It appears the FF III can only run about 40 minutes at 55 lumens?

Although it has many levels to choose from, one of which is 73 lumens at burst setting according to the chart, I'm comparing it with the P1 I just purchased which can run about a solid 2 hrs at 55 lumens?

Am I reading this right?

Tremendo

Enlightened
windstrings said:
Am I reading this right?
Nope! That is advertising, not independant testing, and it says "(1:45 to 50%)". That's not 2.5 hours at 55 lumens at all, not that the P1 isn't a great little light.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tremendo said:
Nope! That is advertising, not independant testing, and it says "(1:45 to 50%)". That's not 2.5 hours at 55 lumens at all, not that the P1 isn't a great little light.

Your right.. that is a contradictory of terms....

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine since it came out pretty much. It has been on my keys the whole time I have had it, and it is standing up pretty good to key duty. Other then the many little knicks and chips, the finish has been holding up pretty well. I love this light alot and hope to continue to enjoy it for some time. I highly recomend it when it comes back out.

edit: I also have two batteries, and my charger in my car, so its pretty convient.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick q: are any of the ones he's currently working on, open to the public? Or is my only chance to snag one on b/s/t?