Why is it?

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
Ok I am a diesel Mechanic, I work nights 6pm-6am, My job involves going into the parkinglot of 100 Trucks and locating the one I need and driving it back, sometimes I have to work on them there, I work with 4 other guys, I have been a flashaholic since I was old enough to turn one on, Now

Me, In my tool box I have:
Streamlight stinger on charge
Princeton tec yukon headlamp
Pelican 3c safty light
Streamlight 3C led light

In my coverall pocket I have a streamlight Stylus penlight

In my pocket I have a nuwai QIII, and a cold steel gunsite

Ok Mechanic #1, After using my Stinger He bought one, and he also has a craftsman Led

Mechanic #2 He has a inova, Stylus and a walmart headlamp, and a mac tools rechargable LED worklight

Mechanic #3 he has a beat to death mag 2D

Mechanic #4- Nothing

Monday night Mechanic #4 came to me and said if I have a flashlight, I said what did you plan on it not getting dark tonight or for the past 10 yrs I have been working with you? I got one in the car, I said are you in your car right now? No but I need a light, I said people in hell want Icewater also, he said well Ill go get mine and show you, Whatever I was thinking,

Allright the reason I will not give him any of my lights, nor any other mechanic will loan him one is, he has been a mechanic for 17+ yrs, I let him borrow my Stinger one day and he walked around with it on in his pocket, or he will leave it lay on the floor turned on, Of of his comments was, if it will not run longer than that it aint worth buying,

Well about a hour later he comes back with a mag 2D, he says look e here, and shines it in my eyes, it looked like a friggin match, I laughed and said have fun trying to find a leak with your candle there,

Why is it people like this are so ignorant, He is the type that does not deserve a good light, he does not know when to use the right light for the task in mine, It just bugs the hell out of me that someone working nightsift will not buy a friggin light, but will spend 100 dollars on a tommy hillfiger belt,

I had to share this with you all, but I know just about anyone has run across this type of person, I was reading the thread on most unusual comment on your light and it reminded me of this guy,

jon

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
the key word here is my light. don't give it up,make him buy one. it's like having a drill and no bits,a hammer and no nails,and a smoke and no lighter. if he needs a light to do his job he should get one.i bet if he does smoke he does not like to give up his lighter, or tells people " you want me to smoke it for you to".

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I too am a night shift mechanic, although I work in a lighted building, I too can not believe the unprepardness of people. I let people borrow my lights, but only if I know there going to stay in my sight.

I also don't understand why people leave lights on when they walk away or are otherwise not using them.

metalhed

Enlightened
I used to see the same sort of behaviour when I was a floor layer.

Some guys understand that tools are the means to an end...finishing a job and getting paid. Using quality tools and having the right tool for the job (no matter how infrequently you use it) seems like common sense to me, since it makes my job easier and less time-consuming. And that's the same as more money in my book.

But some guys invest in toys and beer first, and tools are a ways down the list. Those same guys are usually the slowest working, least professional, and most quality-deficient tradesmen you can find.

I guess it takes all sorts, doesn't it? :shakehead

swampgator

Enlightened
Most People aren't "aholics"

Seems that in every line of work there the people who have the tools that barely get by. Then there are the people who are into what they're doing, and have better equipment. Example: the PD I used to work for provided weapons to it's officers. 12 year old Taurus 9mm. The officers who cared had better pistols, while some carried only what was issued.

Same with lights. Department issued M*gchargers, but some officers still went out and bought Surefire 6Ps and Stingers for portability.

Sounds like you co-worker just uses what's "on hand" and has no real reason to get anything better.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Im an EP guy and we are required to have a minumum of 1 surefire or like flashlight. Some of our command centers have 123 batts for us to use.

I can't stand it when EP guys dont have a good flashlight or are unprepared. We get paid the bigger bucks to be prepared.

As a minumum i carry a: headlamp, photon, SF. I carry a Mag3d LEd in my bag if i am by myself at night and the principals are asleep and i dont have to deal with them.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
metalhed said:
I used to see the same sort of behaviour when I was a floor layer.

Some guys understand that tools are the means to an end...finishing a job and getting paid. Using quality tools and having the right tool for the job (no matter how infrequently you use it) seems like common sense to me, since it makes my job easier and less time-consuming. And that's the same as more money in my book.

But some guys invest in toys and beer first, and tools are a ways down the list. Those same guys are usually the slowest working, least professional, and most quality-deficient tradesmen you can find.

I guess it takes all sorts, doesn't it? :shakehead

It sounds like you have the same ethic as me in that you belive that if a job's worth doing than its worth doing right.

Feel free to rip into me if I have made a mistake with that asumption. (By PM preferably)

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
I work in a lighted shop most of the time 100'x150' but when you are under a truck you still have to have a light, After the stinger incident I do not loan my lights to him, I figured most would feel the same here

metalhed

Enlightened
Dr Jekell said:
It sounds like you have the same ethic as me in that you belive that if a job's worth doing than its worth doing right.

Feel free to rip into me if I have made a mistake with that asumption. (By PM preferably)

No mistake...and I consider your observation to be a compliment of the best sort. Thank you. :bow:

Doesn't mean I always get it right, but it's always the primary goal. ;)

metalhed

Enlightened
jon1996 said:
I work in a lighted shop most of the time 100'x150' but when you are under a truck you still have to have a light, After the stinger incident I do not loan my lights to him, I figured most would feel the same here

I do agree with you there. I usually liked to carry a few old, beat-up extras of my most common tools (like a flashlight) and even a few specialty tools, to lend/give to the young guys who just don't have the resources yet to have everything they needed.

But I never much shared them with the guys who would never really appreciate the tool...or the help. :)