Arc-P AAA or UK 2AAA Mini Pocket LED

h2xblive

Enlightened
So I need to buy another everyday-carry flashlight for my keychain. I've used 2 LED aluminum ones for the past 5 years or so. The first one was made of solid aluminum and fell apart after about 2 years. The LED was fine, but the metal threads started stripping. My next light was a Streamlight KeyMate which last about 3 years, but the head fell off. Literally, the head ripped off where the threaded grooves are.

Basically, things on a keychain go through alot of abuse, so I want something that will last more than 3 years. I was going to get the Arc AAA (Premium) but now that I found the UK 2AAA Mini Pocket LED, I'm debating to buy that. It seems the ABS and extremely "tight" design should allow the UK light to physically last much longer on a keychain when compared to the Arc AAA. I'm afraid that in 3-4 years, the Arc AAA will fall apart, just like my previous 2 key chain lights.

Anyone here carry either one on their keychain for 3+ years? How do they hold up? Even if the UK light is more durable, will its larger size and weight make it inconvenient to carry in your pocket or hang while driving your car?

Thanks ahead.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Uk. It`s a couple years old. Unless they have updated it...it`s not very bright. And it is kind of big. But it probably is durable.

Fenix makes several AAA models and two of them are considerably less than the Arc. Many folks love the Arc`s though.

Have you considered wearing your light on a landyard...around your neck? Seem to hold up better if carried that way.

And welcome! Have fun and hold on to your wallet.

Ken

Last edited:

h2xblive

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice.

No, wearing a light around my neck is out of the question.

Money is not an issue here - durability is. So unless Fenix lights are much more durable, their lower price is not going to make me buy them.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want durable, get the Peak Matterhorn in stainless steel.

The UK is a nice light, somewhat large for a keychain, but very waterproof. There is a battery contact that can fall off when the head is removed, kind of hard to explain, but see the reviews section for some discussion. This is a pretty minor issue. Overall I won't say the UK has any durability advantage over the Arc, but it does cost less. If you're willing to deal with its size, you could also consider the Infinity Ultra which is a 1AA light, either in the fairly tough new Gerber version, or the even tougher old CMG version.

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
My vote is for the ARC AAA. I have had one (old version) on my keychain for almost four years, use it every day. I can't wait for my new one to arrive this week.

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a turqouise Arc AAA in keychain use for 4 or 5 years now. I honestly can't remember when I got it I have had it so long. It is rather worn, but it still works just fine. The lanyard hole is getting a little thin, but it is still holding on to my keyring.

The UKE eLed is a nice little light, but I really don't think that you would have any problems with the Arc long term. I had a couple of the UKEs for a while and didn't have any problems with them, but they are a little buklier and the beams do have more artifacts than the Arc. A CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra is also a very solid choice. I have beaten a couple of those soundly on truck key rings or hanging on bags and never managed to hurt one yet.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also want to add that I am very impressed with my new little Fenix E0. I used it a lot last night during a power outage, standing on its tail in candle more. The Arc can't do that.

xdanx

Enlightened
I see you are looking for quality and durablility. I would recommend the Arc P, it is very durable and reliable. There are many stories out there of Arc AAAs going undergoing extreme abuse. Also, the Arc P is about 150% brighter than the UK.

Also, flashlightreviews.com is a great site when choosing a light.

h2xblive

Enlightened
xdanx said:
I see you are looking for quality and durablility. I would recommend the Arc P, it is very durable and reliable. There are many stories out there of Arc AAAs going undergoing extreme abuse. Also, the Arc P is about 150% brighter than the UK.

Also, flashlightreviews.com is a great site when choosing a light.

I don't really need "extreme abuse stories." I wouldn't classify using one's keychain as abuse. I suppose that's why I'm posting here.

By the way, are you the creator of the flashlightreviews.com site?

xdanx

Enlightened
I never said that you would be abusing the light. I was just telling you that the Arc is built like a tank.

No, I am not the creator of flashlightreviews.com. The creator is however, a member of this forum with the screen name Quickbeam.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I was remembering back...for many years I had the old 2 aaa UK incands. They were identical in size and shape to the later led ones. I bought a bunch for simple gifts for family and friends. None ever failed that I can remember. The reflectors turned sort of a powdery white throu the years. But they survived key chain use very well and always lite...if the batts weren`t dead. I would say...if brightness is not a big consern, they could be your best bet. A little bulky by todays standards...but very dependable.

I`ve had many Arc`s through the years, before the company failed, and had bad luck with the batts pressing against the curcuit board...leading to failure. But I did/do run lights often...perhaps more than most. I haven`t bought one since the company restarted...maybe they have changed the design.

Ken

bigfoot

Enlightened
Be sure to check out the Arc forum here on CPF. There was a recent thread where someone drove their Volvo over an Arc on purpose. No damage.

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. From all I read on here and the testimonials, I was sold. Ordered an Arc P and it's a great little light.

h2xblive

Enlightened
xdanx said:
I never said that you would be abusing the light. I was just telling you that the Arc is built like a tank.

No, I am not the creator of flashlightreviews.com. The creator is however, a member of this forum with the screen name Quickbeam.

I don't need a flashlight built like a tank; I need a flashlight built like Cal Ripken Jr. :laughing:

h2xblive

Enlightened
bigfoot said:
Be sure to check out the Arc forum here on CPF. There was a recent thread where someone drove their Volvo over an Arc on purpose. No damage.

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. From all I read on here and the testimonials, I was sold. Ordered an Arc P and it's a great little light.

I'd probably feel the same way 5 weeks after I bought an Arc-P AAA. However, would I feel the same way after 5 years?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
h2xblive said:
I'd probably feel the same way 5 weeks after I bought an Arc-P AAA. However, would I feel the same way after 5 years?

Well, you have to realize most of us here will probably not be as concerned. Led`s are improving so fast at this point that anything bought today will not be very impressive to us in five years. Some of the SS ones might be enjoyed, as works of art, not because there bright or anything. And some might be enjoyed as collectables. But most will just be sitting in a drawer, having been replaced by better stuff years ago.

Your probably the only sane one here LOL :)

Ken

Last edited:

h2xblive

Enlightened
Badbeams said:
Well, you have to realize most of us here will probably not be as concerned. Led`s are improving so fast at this point that anything bought today will not be very impressive to us in five years. Some of the SS ones might be enjoyed, as works of art, not because there bright or anything. And some might be enjoyed as collectables. But most will just be sitting in a drawer, having been replaced by better stuff years ago.

Your probably the only sane one here LOL :)

Ken

I highly doubt that. :grin2:

pec50

Enlightened
I think it's a difficult comparison as the UK is more than twice the size of the ARC. Each also has a markedly different beam. The ARC relies upon the LED's optics and the UK uses a focusing lens with little spill. Hence, if you are more interested in a general purpose beam with a light whose diminuative size causes it to almost disappear until it's needed, then consider the ARC. If you are looking for a projected beam that is adequate for walking and is also supplied with a hat clip, the UK makes sense. Both are quite rugged and I would be hard pressed to say that one is more durable than the other. I too have used my ARCs for a number of years without any failure.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add my view, although you've probably made up your mind already.

I have had my ARC - P on my BIIIIG bunch of everyday keys for over four years. It's still great, very reliable, a little worn but not worn out. It's still water proof (though not a dive light - I don't take my keys snorkeling) and still brighter than my new UK 2AAA LED.

That said the UK will be very durable. I have many of the old UK 2AAA incandescant lights and they all still function. One thing to bear in mind is that the UK have plastic bezels and lenses. My old ones are pretty scarred and scratched up now, turning what was once a decent thrower into a close range diffuse flooder (er...in yellow) I feel sure that on a bunch of keys the same would happen to you, but much quicker - say in a year or so. My ARC beam is the same as it's always been.

But the ARC is expensive, there are cheaper alternatives like various PEAKS, and of course the FENIX EO or E1 - all very good. But I think I've been collecting torches for long enough to know when to spend the cash. So I would definately recommend the ARC for long term reliability and therefore value for money.

Whatever you get, since you're on this forum, you'll get something else before too long. It's in our nature :help:.

Be lucky...

morituri

Newly Enlightened
My Arc AAA has been on my keychain ever since I received it two years ago. I use it daily. I'm thinking of replacing it ... probably with a new Arc AAA-P, if I can afford it.