User-disassembly of Mini Mag LED 2AA?

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone offer instructions for disassembly of the MiniMagLED 2AA flashlight?

I have been experiencing intermittent connectivity, apparently, and would like to access the terminal that's inside the light to clean it off.

Is this a light that I could use some ordinary tools to disassemble? Or is it one of those deals where you need some special factory tool to take it down?

Also interested in any solutions that anyone else has found to solve the (apparently not uncommon) failures these lights have been experiencing (possibly due to prematurely corroding positive terminals)...

Thanks!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Q-tip taped to a long pencil or toothbrush worked for me.;

I also have electrical contacts cleaning solution that I sprayed the Q tip with.

No idea if this works, as I was not having any problems.

But the Q tip did come out slightly dirty with some gray stuff on it.

I also wiped the threads where the tail cap goes.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Please let me know what you use as an electrical contacts cleaning solution, and where you got it. Also, is it really anything special, or could I just use rubbing alcohol (as someone else mentioned in a different thread)?

Thanks.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's made by CRC

Lectra-Motive

Electric Parts Cleaner

Non-flammable

has pics of an alternator and a starter. I got it at an auto parts store, like advance auto.

It's a big can, about 10" in height and 3" in diameter.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Well, I tried last night to use the Q-tip and alcohol fix, but that didn't solve the flicker/failure problem of my 2AA MiniMagLED. :(

I also tried what PAB had said in another thread; pusing on the module inside the light to drop out a plastic retaining ring and getting the module to come out; I had no success getting that to happen.

If anyone knows how to disassemble the MiniMagLED 2AA, please let me know here. Thanks.

I took mine all apart. I pushed down on the base of the LED until it popped off.

This is the module.

Inside of tube
tube.jpg

Mechanism of operation:

The beveled end of module and the shoulder inside the tube makes a contact to complete the circuit and the tailcap spring provides the module-to-tube contact pressure through batteries. The module comes in direct contact with the body which provides heatsink ability so unlike the D size drop-in, it does not thermal throttle.

To turn off, the bottom of reflector pushes on the rim of the module, overcome the spring force and pushes the module/batteries back until the module's metal part is no longer touching the shoulder in the tube.

Retainers

One on the right houses the driver circuit and fits inside the metal shell. One on the left fits over the top half of the module, insulating the side from touching the tube, but leaves the bottom part uncovered to allow the switch to work.

aa.jpg

Shell

Pretty much like the 2/3/4 D drop in module, but it comes in a direct contact with the tube so the tube can actually act as a heatsink.
shell.jpg

That sense resistor is 0.05 ohm
cctfront.jpg

cctback.jpg