Microfire HID vs. CREE XR-E

*Retired*
Okay, I've been poking around the house looking for some flashlight and reflector I have that can actually compare with the XR-E.

I have the XR-E directly soldered to take full advantage of the thermal properties, instead of a MCPCB, which helps take full advantage of the XR-E's abilities. The XR-E is being overdriven @ 1.1 Amps, and the 2" by 3" by 0.165" copper plate did not even get luke warm during the test. Power consumed is 3.74 Watts.

The comparision flashlight is a Microfire Warrior 10 Watt HID flashlight.

Take note that I used a non-optimized McGizmo HD45 reflector and a huge amount of the XR-E lumens are being directed in the flood beam. This is quite obvious in the beamshots towards the end, the Microfire has very little flood power in comparision.

hidxre.jpg

Ikonomi

Enlightened
Wow. A balanced comparison between LED and HID is something I never thought I'd see.

I'm sure the Microfire throws much, much farther, but that Cree is really putting out some light! I'm beginning to wonder if the 75 degree pattern is much of a problem after all. The spill has been wonderful in every XR-E beamshot so far.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting comparison. The first I've ever seen, comparing LED with HID....

Hmmm....I wonder what the comparison would look like if some kind of reflector/optic optimized for the CREE is used...... interesting indeed!

:thumbsup: WP

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jar, how come you haven't yet put the cree behind the 2" aspheryical lens yet? That should give it the narrow throw it needs to compete with the HID!!!

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
It sure is an exciting time to be flashaholic.

:goodjob: Newbie on all your test with the new Cree XR-E.

x2x3x2

Banned
comparing an emitter soldered directly to a heatsink with one on a star mcpcb which is is then soldered to a heatsink, is there really a significant difference?

*Retired*
Ikonomi said:
Wow. A balanced comparison between LED and HID is something I never thought I'd see.

I'm sure the Microfire throws much, much farther, but that Cree is really putting out some light! I'm beginning to wonder if the 75 degree pattern is much of a problem after all. The spill has been wonderful in every XR-E beamshot so far.

Keep in mind, that the reflector I am using was never designed for the XR-E, but for a Luxeon, and as such, it puts a tremendous amount of light in the flood beam. A proper reflector would drastically change things.

farmall

Enlightened
I am very impressed with what I am seeing out of these CREE XR-E lights.

Great photos.

*Retired*
x2x3x2 said:
comparing an emitter soldered directly to a heatsink with one on a star mcpcb which is is then soldered to a heatsink, is there really a significant difference?

It depends on the design of the MCPCB. Not all are created equal, by no means. There are great ones, and there are so so ones, with others in between.

With the ceramic base of the CREE, and the thermal spreading resistance of the CREE package, a great MCPCB can make a very nice difference, I'd figure one could see a 20% difference around 1000mA.

My direct soldering to copper, basically gets rid of spreading resistance as well as probably drops die temperatures 10% to 30%, depending on the MCPCB and the drive situation.

There are high end MCPCBs, as well as tricks one can play with MCPCBs if you can design your own, which will not cost you any extra, if you are doing volume designs. More tricks can be played with the CREE, since the "slug" is electrically isolated.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howly shiit!!!! That comparison has left me speechless!!!! I never tought I would see the day that HID compared to luxeon!

OMG! What bin you said you had? P2? I agree with IssacHayes, put that sucker behind a lens and compare them again, I think this time the LED will beat the HID and only 1.1 amp!!! Dang!!! Keep up the great work!

AlexGT

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I`m surprised how well the led is competing with a hid. I personaly like a light with plenty of flood. But to keep apples to apples the Cree beam would need to be tightened up. I can see/imagine they would be close. And at a fraction of the power consumption.

I can`t help but wonder what the Cree would do if installed/modded in a AAA light like the Fenix E-1. In my fantasy it would be a killer small bright light...with great run time.

Thanks for the pic`s :)

*Retired*
IsaacHayes said:
Jar, how come you haven't yet put the cree behind the 2" aspheryical lens yet? That should give it the narrow throw it needs to compete with the HID!!!

Since you asked, I figured I should go do it.

I had a tough time holding battery, lens, and camera all in proper alignment, so pardon the poor pictures. The portable power source I had on hand only delivered 700mA. I tried to optimize the focus on the Microfire also.

Distance is about 80 ft.

hidxre2.jpg

Reaching out and touching a tree more than a block away:
hidxre3.jpg

Sky shot:
creexre5.jpg

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see that agaisnt a 24W or bigger HID. I don't think an LED will ever beat a HID light when it comes to throw. Not even high powered incans can...

daveman

Enlightened
NewBie said:
Reaching out and touching a tree more than a block away:
hidxre3.jpg

Sky shot:
creexre5.jpg
:wow: To think that there are 3 more bins with more output than this one (Q1, Q2, Q3).

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Holy hell.

That, dear readers, is a perfect example of why lenses should be the tool of choice for XR-E throwers.

Newbie: could we trouble you to grow a 5th hand and somehow measure the lux on that thing @1m?