Surefire repair timescale?

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I had a faulty Surefire KL4 and after emailing Surefire they said "send it in!"

I posted it from the UK on the 31 August, using signed for International, and proceeded to wait. I've checked to see if the item was delivered but it just says "passed to US posatal service." Now I've emailed Surefire 4 times asking if they had received the unit, but have received no reply to any of them.

What's peoples experience with Surefire repairs? Should I have got a response to my emails by now? what timescale should I be expecting if all goes well? Thanks for any input.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...

All the best
Hellz

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The turnaround time for when I send in my KL5 head was ~5 weeks, from Florida. But this was no repair, they exchanged the head. The shipping time to the UK could be a great problem here.

I never had problems contacting them via email, though a lot of people here say otherwise. I never contacted them for status updates, though.

I would try to call them.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its hit or miss with them. Sometimes repairs and/or replacement items are sent out quick. Sometimes it takes multiple emails and phone calls to turn something around. I think the military is demanding most of their output. I've got items that are back ordered and the delivery keeps getting pushed back. My KT2 and parts started with a 2 week pushback. Now it is 6 weeks.

Good luck...

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys.

Strangely enough, I received a reply from Surefire yesterday evening... uncanny. :D

They say the KL4 units are on back order and will ship as soon as a replacement comes in. Cool, I'm relieved to know whats going on!

Thanks,
Hellz

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Freedom1955 said:
I sent a U2 there for repair and it took them 16 weeks to get it back to me.
Blimey! Good job I'm not in a hurry... I've got my Gladius to tide me over... ;)

Patrick

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure about sending an item in for repair but their CS is great from my experience. My L4 is quite new and my tailcap is "dead" or will only do the momentary on mode. I emailed them and the next day they're sending me two becuase I told them that my E1L was having the same starting issues as the L4. I love surefire.

Heck

Enlightened
I sent in my L4 around the same time as you, still waiting on it. In the mean time, my MN15 failed and waiting for a replacement also, in which this was supposed to be in stock.

The L4 they said they have none in stock, and actually when I called for my MN15 the guy said that some L4s were made and that mine should ship soon, I was and still am skeptical about it.

I'm used to it though, I've had a few warranty issues before and like my L5, it took a few months to get it back.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Hellz,

Exactly how old a guy are you? Waiting for SF could be a health hazard!

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Campdavid said:
Exactly how old a guy are you? Waiting for SF could be a health hazard!
I've got a few years left to go ;)

I have to say that my concern wasn't really the timescale, but the lack of response. I'm not going to be left in the dark :D

Currently EDC'ing a Surefire KL1 (old style) on a VG1 body, nice neat package. I'm looking to get a VG2 for when the KL4 comes home...

Hellz

firefly99

Enlightened
When you deal with SF you must have patience of a saint.

Sent my old style KL3 in, they return a new style KL3 eight months later.

Heck

Enlightened
Great, just great, so I get it back today and I had to pay $27 Customs Brokerage fee, because Surefire didn't know how to send it via UPS Expedited/Express which there are no Customs Brokerage. I'm going to demand this $27 back as I shouldn't have to pay any duties, shipping or brokerage fees on a warranty repair return!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Surefire sends it bue UPS Expedited or Express, they have to pre-pay the customs brokerage fee as part of the shipping rate. In your mind, you think there is no customs brokerage fee because you're not paying for it. That's why they have UPS Standard so that US merchants don't get stuck between the proverbial rock and a hardplace by having to charge high shipping fees (and scaring customers off) so that they can prepay the brokerage fee. With UPS Standard the shipping charges are low and the customs brokerage is your problem.

I'm afraid your thinking may be a bit flawed about what you should and shouldn't pay, the customs brokerage has nothing to do with the warranty repair, it's a charge for a private party (customs broker) to get your package through customs. If you wish, you can file papers with UPS and broker your incoming parcels yourself (of course you'll need to learn how as well.)

Heck said:
Great, just great, so I get it back today and I had to pay $27 Customs Brokerage fee, because Surefire didn't know how to send it via UPS Expedited/Express which there are no Customs Brokerage. I'm going to demand this $27 back as I shouldn't have to pay any duties, shipping or brokerage fees on a warranty repair return!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have to call them for an RMA, why don't you just ask them for the $27 when you call, that way you'll know a little quicker as to whether or not they'll pay your customs brokerage for you.

Heck said:
Great so I have to mail in a letter to get my money back. And even better, my switch for this L4 just died! This is insulting!

Heck

Enlightened
Well it can be viewed both ways for UPS. In UPS terms, they say it is free for customs brokerage when using expedited or express. In another view, the sender is paying for it because it's more expensive and "covers" the charge.

And I don't believe my thinking is flawed at all, returning the merchandise to the consumer should not incur any costs as I am supposed to have a functioning product. Actually with laws here in Quebec, that holds true but we won't get into cross bordered laws. Anyway, SF knows this and usually SF sends it via DHL which has no costs to the consumer. I'm fully aware how it functions and understand the difference between taxes, duties and brokerage fees.

And yes I know that $27 I paid was for a john doe working at UPS-SCS enter a number and sign a name.

As for filling out the customs forms myself I wouldn't have had the option to do the customs brokering myself as I did not receive any shipment notification, I would've happily filled it out myself as I know how to fill them out quite well actually...due to my line of work, but again, I shouldn't have to do this.

I did call them and that is when they instructed me to mail a letter with the receipt to refund the amount. In fact they even said it should've been sent DHL. I would never just write or e-mail SF CS...you'd never get a response!

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got a replacement KL4 back from Surefire yesterday, and boy, it's a cracker!

My last unit had a washed out tint with huge dirty smudge in the middle of the beam... not to mention a loud rattle :thumbsdow

My new unit is bright, white and even. I'm really impressed, I can finally see what all the fuss is about :grin2: I'm going to get a McTC + Clicky on there and I reckon this could be my favourite light.

Just in the nick of time too, there's a lot of dark about in the UK at the moment :laughing:

Regards,
Patrick

*Retired*
3 Months.

Not bad, better than I've heard for quite a few of their warranty repairs.

Good to hear they fixed the beam on it too.

I've heard a lot about the Surefire lottery over the years, and besides just tint, like many have complained about, you gotta worry about getting a decent beam too.

The U2 and KL4 both have had a lot of issues with the beam lottery.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should not have to pay customs fees on an item coming back from repair. It had the tax paid the first time it was imported.