CPF homepage

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't getting any responses over at the "suggestions" forum, so i'm going to try my luck here.

Can you design a new homepage for CPF, or does the software for this BBS not allow it? I was just wondering becuase it is pretty boring.
If you make a new homepage, you can probably stick some sponser banners there - and maybe some pop-up ones too - just as long as they are not in the discussion area. You can even acomplish this by having someone volounteer hosting a site (one of those free hosts) to make a small homepage that links to this site. So what do you think?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The frontpage is not related to the BB software. It's modifiable like any other webpage. I can put anything within reason on there. But my html skills are lacking. Not to mention the other stuff out there like javascript, perl, PHP, etc. That's why it's so boring.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEDagent:

If you make a new homepage, you can probably stick some sponser banners there - and maybe some pop-up ones too -
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO POP-UPS, oh god please no pop-ups. Or pop-downs either. You would definitely lose a customer (me) if pop-ups started showing up here.

$0.02

Darell

Flashaholic
Agreed! I'd do just about anything to avoid pop- ups, downs, sideways, whatever. The only thing I want to see moving around here is Craig's urinal.

mikep

Enlightened
Hey, if it's not a problem with bandwidth, etc.- how about having a "Design a CPF Frontpage Contest"? You don't even need to have a prize, I think the honor of creating the public image for the forum would appeal to web designer's egos.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I actually did that once. I was bored, just practicing my HTML/graphics skills and trying out an idea or 2 I had for my other sites. It wasn`t half bad neither, but I`m not sure I still have it, and I know I never posted it anywhere or sent it to anyone.

I`ll go look later on....

wink.gif
grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay okay...no pop-ups. I just thought that it would be a nice idea to make a profit JUST on the homepage and NOT in the dicussion area. ANYWAY...NO POP-UPs. I agree.

I'm glad that some of you think that this is a good idea though. I'm sure with a nice welcome page we might spark more interest with passerbys to this site. But David...give it some thought about using the homepage as some kind of marketing scheme to get some donations or money or whatever. The guy at "Imaging-resource.com" REPEATEDLY hints in his posts about donations...read some of his responses and you'll see he'll pop the question like a Catholic Priest on collection days.
shocked.gif
grin.gif

I wouldn't mind if you added some kind of info about donations on your tag or profile so that we can see it everytime you post. People on that Imageing-resource.com don't seem to mind becuase they too think that his service is invaluable...just like the service you provide for us - priceless.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right. Let's see what you guys can do.

I'll come up with some guidelines tomorrow. I'm heading off to bed soon. I gotta get up in about 5 hours.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Please don't bend my bezel, but I like it just as it is. Why? It gives me the information I need in concise, efficient form.

Am I a heartless technocrat, immune to the beauties of imaginative artistic design? H**L No! If anyone can create a design that is as practical, intuitive and efficient as the current one within a context of unique
expression, go to it!

Brightnorm

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang. I can`t find it anywhere, must`ve wiped it a while back. I`ll see if I can`t come up with something else, but I`m so close to finishing the Torch Reviews site that I`d rather do that first- just 3 and a half more reviews to write and it`s there. Course, the weather here in wet dull grey Wales is actually nice and warm and sunny for a change, and there`s a whole lot else I need to be doing besides working on web sites, so those 3 reviews could take 3 weeks to write....hopefully not but we`ll see.

If I can squeeze in the time to come up with an entry for the CPF homepage contest, then count me in! Be nice to give something back to this forum. And don`t worry Norm, I`ll try to keep it practical, intuitive and efficient. Fanciful crap that looks good but is a pain to load or navigate just isn`t really my style.
I don`t use Java or any of that stuff, it`s too slow to run on older computers. The current page with that bit of code to make the "enter" button turn blue, makes the page hang for 10-15 seconds while it loads.

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the primary design point will be KISS: Keep It Simple Silly
grin.gif

For Chris' sake this will go until the end of April.

I'll have members of this BB vote for which one they like the most. Only members with a number 1491 or less will be allowed to vote. Why? I don't want you guys registering new names just to vote.
wink.gif

The winner will recieve a Brinkmann Legend LX. If my CC is rejected then the prize will be work credited on the FP.

* I need the links that are on there now.

* I need to be able to add or delete more links as time goes on. If it's too complicated to make mods then that's a minus.

* Minimal graphics are a plus.

* Matching the BB colors are a plus.

Members are free to suggest what they would like to see or NOT see on the frontpage. I'll add to this post with an edit.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here`s mine. I know I should`ve been working on the Torch site, but I find if I take a break from it now and then, I can come back the next day with a clear mind- and spot the mistakes and problems right away. There`s only so much staring at those pages I can take, before it all starts going round and round and round....

.....anyway:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.millinship/newcpf/cpfhome.htm

It`s fully functioning too. Whaddya think- any good? I`ll volunteer to maintain that page too if new additions or changes need to be made.

wink.gif
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACK!!!

I just tested the page under Netscape 4.7 - my "worst case" format test, and it`s full of gaps and blank bits. It`s waaaaay past bedtime here so I`ll fix it tomorrow- for now assume it to be a "work in progress".

It should look like something this in the middle (and it will under IE5.x and up), regardless of your browser...

newcpfok.jpg

As a web-monkey-geek-designer bloke, I truly hate netscape. It`s a pain in the arse....

rolleyes.gif

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
Hey David How about I throw in an a free E2e HA for the best design.

Darell

Flashaholic
DANG! I'm gonna take classes. Learn me some HTML. All my other E2 HA's are from William... might as well get one more for free!

I'd like to change my vote now. I don't think Chris's design is all that great.
smile.gif

** Edit ** Now WAIT a second! You said E2E? When the heck did you start carrying them... and why didn't you tell me!!!???

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. For that I'd even consider cheating. I could ask the web designer here at work to whip something up for me.
tongue.gif

But no, I'd never do that...anyway, I'm a big believer in the KISS principle too.

Graham